06 Navigation

Greybull

Hey guys, does anyone know how to activate the NAV if your 06 G might not have come with the NAV function? I have an 06 G that doesn't seem to want to read the DVD Nav when its inserted. :eusa_think:

Alex(PROXUS) does an excellent job installing OEM NAV systems in Gallardo's. He upgraded my 2005 G, and i worked perfectly with NO issues!! I highly recommend him!

Jim

Hey guys, does anyone know how to activate the NAV if your 06 G might not have come with the NAV function? I have an 06 G that doesn't seem to want to read the DVD Nav when its inserted. :eusa_think:

I have the same question about my stock unit and I was wondering how you solved the problem Greybull

My unit has the buttons for nav on the front, i took the unit out of the dash to look at it and it says "NaviSys" on the label, as well removing the top metal cover there is gps antenna outlet as well it connects to the board adjacent to a component marked "gyro unit", which sound like it has the navigation system. I tried a few dvds, one from audi dealer and one from lambo dealer but it didn't seem to work.

As well could there be a specific disc for this unit or is the nav component just not there?

thanks

Steve

Unless the car was ordered with "Navigation" , the navigation feature of the radio unit will not work. All the GPS hardware is in the radio, but there appears to be a software lockout that disables the navigation. When you insert the nav DVD, it says "insert disk" or something like that.

There are at least three solutions to the problem:

(1) Pay your dealer a lot of money to swap out the radio unit for one with the nav feature enabled. He will also install a GPS antenna and give you an official Lambo nav DVD.

(2) It may be possible to "unlock" the software on your radio to make the navigation function. I do not know if this is possible, but there are a lot of really smart people out there and it's only a matter of time until someone figures it out. You will also need to install a GPS antenna and get a nav DVD.

(3) Get an Audi RNS-E radio (it's the same guts as the Lambo radio) and swap out the LCD frame and radio faceplate with the one from your Lambo radio. All the Audi radios have nav enabled (Audi doesn't play that game) but the faceplate is a different shape to fit the Audi interior. Details on how to do this are posted on lamboweb.com. You will also need a GPS antenna and an AUDI nav DVD, which should be part of the package deal. Audi radios will not read the Lambo DVD and vise versa. Also, make sure you get the 4-digit security code for the Audi radio unit.

In all of the above solutions, you will need to reprogram the car (via VAGcom) to enable the navigation prompts on the center instrument cluster display. The person you contact in (2) or the guy who provides the Audi radio (option 3) should be able to do this for you. If they can't, keep looking for someone who can.

Unless the car was ordered with "Navigation" , the navigation feature of the radio unit will not work. All the GPS hardware is in the radio, but there appears to be a software lockout that disables the navigation. When you insert the nav DVD, it says "insert disk" or something like that.

There are at least three solutions to the problem:

(1) Pay your dealer a lot of money to swap out the radio unit for one with the nav feature enabled. He will also install a GPS antenna and give you an official Lambo nav DVD.

(2) It may be possible to "unlock" the software on your radio to make the navigation function. I do not know if this is possible, but there are a lot of really smart people out there and it's only a matter of time until someone figures it out. You will also need to install a GPS antenna and get a nav DVD.

(3) Get an Audi RNS-E radio (it's the same guts as the Lambo radio) and swap out the LCD frame and radio faceplate with the one from your Lambo radio. All the Audi radios have nav enabled (Audi doesn't play that game) but the faceplate is a different shape to fit the Audi interior. Details on how to do this are posted on lamboweb.com. You will also need a GPS antenna and an AUDI nav DVD, which should be part of the package deal. Audi radios will not read the Lambo DVD and vise versa. Also, make sure you get the 4-digit security code for the Audi radio unit.

In all of the above solutions, you will need to reprogram the car (via VAGcom) to enable the navigation prompts on the center instrument cluster display. The person you contact in (2) or the guy who provides the Audi radio (option 3) should be able to do this for you. If they can't, keep looking for someone who can.

thanks for your response rick,

I looked inside the lambo radio unit and like you say the hardware board appears to be there, its a shame not to able to use it, there must be some "software crack" out there. the Nav board on the surface looks identical to the Audi RNS-E unit inside.

I did buy my 06 gallardo SE used and the third party seller was not sure if it had navigation installed. The vehicle came with the lambo navigation manual (but no disc) and there was a small business card attached to the back page of the manual with a navigation serial number and security code. They did pop in a nav disc at the dealer, which didn't work, and I was wondering if it didn't work because there is specific disc for this unit? is that possible, is there any other way of checking if my car has navi or if it could have been removed before it was sold to me?

thanks steve

An '06 SE? I may be mistaken, but I thought that all of the SE's came fully optioned, which should have included NAV. (Maybe someone else can step in and clear this up?) Do you have the original "Window sticker" that listed the options?

Did you notice if the unit had a GPS antenna connected to it? Cars that shipped without Nav did NOT have a GPS antenna. If your radio has a GPS antenna, then there's a good chance you have factory NAV. Or, an authorized dealer may be able to look up your VIN and tell if it came with Nav. You may just have a problem with the DVD reader in the radio. There should be nothing specific to the radio that would affect it's ability to read the nav DVD. The Lambo radio will read any Lambo DVD (although you may screw things up if you insert a "down rev." disk into the nav unit). If the DVD disk was a "clone" you might have a problem reading it, depending on what kind of media and DVD burner was used to make the clone.

There is a chance that the previous owner harvested the original nav unit from the car and swapped it out for a non-nav radio. You might be able to check the part number on the top lid of the radio - to see if it is the "real" navigation model. This assumes, of course, that the guy didn't swap lids if they did remove the original radio/nav unit from the car.

All cars came with the "navigation" manual, since it also includes operating instructions for the radio. The card stapled to the cover is the security code for your radio (do not lose this!).

yes I guess checking the VIN would be the surest way, I will do that

as well I was understand there is a way of software way of unlocking the nonfunctioning lambo radio "nav"unit in a more cost effective way($250-300) US, rather than replacing the whole unit with an audi RNS-E unit ($1300)

the #'s on my unit are 400 035 192 E , other ones 86113-60V390 , 0005/24/06/2005 , OKZ AN1 001

thanks , steve

Sorry, looks like you've got a "stupid" one - just like mine. Does anyone know what the part number is for a functional nav unit??

DSCN4337z.JPG

Sorry, looks like you've got a "stupid" one - just like mine. Does anyone know what the part number is for a functional nav unit??

DSCN4337z.JPG

yes this is the same unit I have, i believe there is a simple software method of activating the navigation function, I did connect a navigation antenna to it today, ( blue connector,left side of your picture) and it seems to work fine and verify that this in the "engineering mode" it reads all the satellites, gives location measurements velocity bearing etc. so the gps part appears to be already working.

There is a method to enable NAV functionality on those units.

None of the dealers know about it because it is multi-step process of firmware modification.

I unlocked many units already for members on this forum so just send me PM if you are interested.

All of the units (dumb ones included) can receive GPS signals - all they need is an antenna. The real clue is the presence of a GPS antenna on the car. No antenna, no factory nav - unless the previous owner upgraded (or attempted to upgrade) a non-nav unit to full functionality.

It would not surprise me if there is a single part number for all the radios - nav enabled or not. I've never seen a factory nav unit out of the car, so I don't know it it carries a unique part number. With production volumes as low as they are, it doesn't make sense for Lamborghini (or Audi?) to stock two different radios. It would make much more sense to do this as the last step on the assembly line - some guy plugs in a diagnostic computer and enables (or disables) nav based on a particular car's build sheet. When I asked my dealer about the "official" upgrade, he talked about swapping out the radio for another - which runs counter to my thesis. But I'm sure that Lamborghini would not want to let the software fix get out to the dealer network for fear that the secret sauce would wind up on a public forum like this.

There is a method to enable NAV functionality on those units.

None of the dealers know about it because it is multi-step process of firmware modification.

I unlocked many units already for members on this forum so just send me PM if you are interested.

Hi Alex,

I have one of your Audi (A4, I believe) transplants in my Gallardo. Should I wish to get an updated nav DVD, do I need to specify the Audi model, or are all the Audi nav DVD's the same?

Hi Alex,

I have one of your Audi (A4, I believe) transplants in my Gallardo. Should I wish to get an updated nav DVD, do I need to specify the Audi model, or are all the Audi nav DVD's the same?

There are 2 versions MMI (for Audi Q7, A6, A8, A5) and RNS-E (for A4). There is new firmware 260 with maps released recently, but there is no major changes. I believe that could be just map data update in certain areas. I don't think that it is worth the money. I was hoping for traffic data but I guess they will move it to next update (hopefully end of year)

• 1 year later...