It's Official, SLR Vbox times

VBUGKING

Thanks, I looked it up. What is added to the 750hp kit over the 700 and what is the cost difference? What is the sledge hammer kit make whp? What is the pros and cons on the tip vs the 6spd. Are you going to add a pulley, tune and ic pumps to your slr?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The sledgehammer makes 860 rwhp. The advantage of the tip is you can launch a lot harder with brake boosting and you dont lose boost between shifts. The advantage of the 6speed is you can upgrade the clutch to handle more than the 600 to the wheels that the tip is maxed out at. I dont know whats added to make it a 750 kit over a 700, I bought the car already upgraded. I am considering doing all the Renntech stuff, which according to the dyno I received from Renntech is good for 600 to the wheels.

Aaron

I am sorry if I missed this but what is the hp of the 997 tip (600awhp?) Also what company did the work? Thanks. Allan did you notice a night and day difference when you went to the 325's?

On the SLR, honestly no. I had Pirellis on it, and they were 20's. It may have made matters worse.

The sledgehammer makes 860 rwhp. The advantage of the tip is you can launch a lot harder with brake boosting and you dont lose boost between shifts. The advantage of the 6speed is you can upgrade the clutch to handle more than the 600 to the wheels that the tip is maxed out at. I dont know whats added to make it a 750 kit over a 700, I bought the car already upgraded. I am considering doing all the Renntech stuff, which according to the dyno I received from Renntech is good for 600 to the wheels.

Aaron

You may want to consider the kleeman upgrade... From what I hear all the stuff is the same and that their software is actually programmed by the same company. They also use the Johnson pumps, which are like 80.00 a piece. When Renntech sent me their dyno they had made 580rwhp, not sure what they have done to gain more power, unless they added exhaust mods. The Kleeman kit is 1/3 rd the price of Renntech.

My car made 573rwhp, 7hp less than the Renntech, but that could be accounted to the fact that in Cali and AZ we have 91octane, while in Florida they used 93.

You may want to consider the kleeman upgrade... From what I hear all the stuff is the same and that their software is actually programmed by the same company. They also use the Johnson pumps, which are like 80.00 a piece. When Renntech sent me their dyno they had made 580rwhp, not sure what they have done to gain more power, unless they added exhaust mods. The Kleeman kit is 1/3 rd the price of Renntech.

My car made 573rwhp, 7hp less than the Renntech, but that could be accounted to the fact that in Cali and AZ we have 91octane, while in Florida they used 93.

They have exhaust mods. Renntech is expensive thats for sure. The ecu, pulley and pumps is 13k, and the exhaust upgrade is another 14k. Here is the dyno I got from them, the stock dyno is for a 722 edition so thats why it dynoed higher stock. After Renntech mods the 722 makes the same as the regular SLR. Allan do you remember how much total you paid for the ecu, pulley and pumps all together?

Aaron

post-6539-1224902149_thumb.jpg

I have a lot of experince with AMG cars, as multiple owner, and Kleemann. I can HIGLY recommend Kleemann :icon_thumleft:

Agree call Cory at kleemann usa. He knows the 55 motor and we have talked in detail about the slr. He feels 600whp can be had if you tune the car on the dyno. I would think kleemann will do the pulley, ecu for 5k or so and I would buy the pumps yourself and have them do the install. Like Allan said the pumps are like 80$ for the cm30 and 125.00 for the cm90. If you want me to talk to Cory for you let me know. He did my e55(gained 92whp and 115wlbft with pulley, tune and headers) and my sl65(made 605whp and 830wlbft)

Needed to thank you to Allan, because of you I ran the 325/25/20 p zeros on the sl65 and they did help out. Then again the sl65 runs a 285 on a 9.5in wide wheel stock and the 325's on an 11in wide wheel is huge.

My SLR Mercedes tech talked to Kleeman today, and the ecu and pulley is $4500. He talked to Renntech too and their stage 1 is 13k for the ecu, pulley and IC upgrades. He said that the Renntech IC stuff is more than just IC pump upgrade, but also an extra radiator, and has superior cooling compared to just doing the pump. He said that unless you were going to run your car like crazy that the IC stuff wasnt really necessary and he recommended Kleeman for bang for the buck. He said that Renntech runs a more aggressive pulley so the IC stuff is needed for that. Difference in HP was fairly minimal although Renntech supposedly puts out a bit more, probably 20-30hp. I still dont know what I am going to do, but I have made a decision about changing the exhaust. I am not going to do it. It boils down to paying 4.5k vs paying 13k. Renntech is more popular and does more packages, puts out a bit more hp, and has better cooling. I have also used Renntech on 2 other cars and been 100% satisfied with them. But Kleeman is about 1/3 the price and is probably 90% as good for what I will use the car for.

Aaron

Guest skokos
But Kleeman is about 1/3 the price and is probably 90% as good for what I will use the car for.

Aaron

Thats the way to go :icon_thumleft:

My SLR Mercedes tech talked to Kleeman today, and the ecu and pulley is $4500. He talked to Renntech too and their stage 1 is 13k for the ecu, pulley and IC upgrades. He said that the Renntech IC stuff is more than just IC pump upgrade, but also an extra radiator, and has superior cooling compared to just doing the pump. He said that unless you were going to run your car like crazy that the IC stuff wasnt really necessary and he recommended Kleeman for bang for the buck. He said that Renntech runs a more aggressive pulley so the IC stuff is needed for that. Difference in HP was fairly minimal although Renntech supposedly puts out a bit more, probably 20-30hp. I still dont know what I am going to do, but I have made a decision about changing the exhaust. I am not going to do it. It boils down to paying 4.5k vs paying 13k. Renntech is more popular and does more packages, puts out a bit more hp, and has better cooling. I have also used Renntech on 2 other cars and been 100% satisfied with them. But Kleeman is about 1/3 the price and is probably 90% as good for what I will use the car for.

Aaron

I dont their pully is anymore aggresive. When I looked at their kit, without exhaust they made 580rwhp.

Well I got some new tires put on the rear wheels of the SLR. They are Toyo R888 tires in the stock SLR size. These are road racing tires, similar to that of a Pilot Sport Cup, not a drag radial. They did however improve traction, so I took the car out for a couple more Vbox runs. I was able to get slightly better times with the new tires, but the biggest difference is the times were a lot more consistent with these tires than with the stock PS2s. Wheel spin is still an issue from a stop, so I had to leave the traction control on. I tried runs in Sport and Comfort, and Sport was always better.

Best quarter mile run on the Vbox:

0-10 0.4

0-20 1.0

0-30 1.5

0-40 2.1

0-50 2.7

0-60 3.4 (more accurately 3.39)

0-70 4.1

0-80 5.0

0-90 6.0

0-100 7.1 (more accurately 7.06)

0-110 8.2

0-120 9.5

0-130 11.3 (more accurately 11.27)

60 ft 2.0 @ 37.7mph

330 ft 5.0 @ 80.3 mph

660 ft 7.4 @103.5 mph

1320 ft 11.3 @ 130mph (more accurately 11.26@ 129.96mph)

the 0-200kmh was 10.24 seconds

Aaron

post-6539-1225667859_thumb.jpg

post-6539-1225667872_thumb.jpg

post-6539-1225667881_thumb.jpg

post-6539-1225667891_thumb.jpg

I dont their pully is anymore aggresive. When I looked at their kit, without exhaust they made 580rwhp.

I agree with Allan. And I think Kleemann's kit is MINIMUM just as good as RennTech's... after all it is from Denmark :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

Nice times, that is ONE fast car Aaron!!!

Woooohooo SLR ROCKS!!!! Take the Lp640 back to grandmas house!

Oh yeah Allan, I forgot to mention it. I took the SLR out for some 60-130mph runs a few days back and tried starting in 3rd to see if it would be any better than starting in 2nd. I did 3 runs starting in 2nd and 3 runs starting in 3rd, alternating. 3rd gear was better than I expected, but it was about .2-.3 seconds slower than starting in 2nd. This could change once I get the car upgraded.

Aaron

Oh yeah Allan, I forgot to mention it. I took the SLR out for some 60-130mph runs a few days back and tried starting in 3rd to see if it would be any better than starting in 2nd. I did 3 runs starting in 2nd and 3 runs starting in 3rd, alternating. 3rd gear was better than I expected, but it was about .2-.3 seconds slower than starting in 2nd. This could change once I get the car upgraded.

Aaron

Have you decided whether you will override the TCU?

Have you decided whether you will override the TCU?

I am not sure, I definitely dont see a reason to do it in 1st gear, but 2nd gear might be an option.

Aaron

I am not sure, I definitely dont see a reason to do it in 1st gear, but 2nd gear might be an option.

Aaron

Yes, deleting the TCU will not affect your off the line times as you will always need to run with the T/C on . What it will help is your roll on 2nd gear runs as you will have full power available. I guess you can always do the TCU AFTER the other mods if you decide. But with the mods you dont feel anything until after 80mph.

so it concludes that:

with new tires the SLR and LP640 reach the 1/4 in the same time while the SLR is going 3 mph quicker. while the LP640 is a bit quicker to the 1/4 by a couple tenths and 2-3 mph slower when the SLR is on stock tires.

and from a roll 60-130 the SLR is 1.5 cars lengths ahead.

thanks for taking the time to do all this, but im sure it wasnt boring or anything ;)

Aaron,

Does this mean you are now finished with the Vbox? I need to lay down some smack and see if i can better those times. I'm chewing at the bit over here trying to run my car and see some new numbers.