Lambo 8.2L V12 race engines

Jota1995

L804 V4 was a great engine, but it was a 1000 hp boat race engine. It's too big to enter a Diablo engine bay and, above all , has a very poor low and mid torque, as a boat race angine just has to show top end power.

see page 548 and page 549 of the link here below

Dante Giacosa motori endotermici ed Hoepli L804 V4 engine

L804 RACE ENGINE

ciao

Does Lamborghini still make powerboat engines?

No, they have not made these for a long time. They are huge and only for offshore powerboat racing. They will not work in any normal automobile. Legend has it they tried one in an LM and it was a disaster. Too heavy and too big.

Earlier I mentioned the air restrictor used in Class1 for this engine configuration is 62mm which resulted is 920hp or thereabouts. It is now 60mm with power being reduced to about 850hp.

L804 V4 was a great engine, but it was a 1000 hp boat race engine. It's too big to enter a Diablo engine bay and, above all , has a very poor low and mid torque, as a boat race angine just has to show top end power.

see page 548 and page 549 of the link here below

Dante Giacosa motori endotermici ed Hoepli L804 V4 engine

L804 RACE ENGINE

ciao

I think figure 24.15 and figure 24.17 are labelled incorrectly. 24.17 is the Diablo engine and 24.15 is the L804 showing 3 different runner lengths for different power/torque tradeoff options.

That's a fantastic set of pictures Joe_Trojan! I'd never even heard of these motors- those things are incredibly badass! I'd give my left arm to hear one of those at full chat! Might be one of my favorite threads i've ever seen on L-Power. Awesome stuff

Earlier I mentioned the air restrictor used in Class1 for this engine configuration is 62mm which resulted is 920hp or thereabouts. It is now 60mm with power being reduced to about 850hp.

I think figure 24.15 and figure 24.17 are labelled incorrectly. 24.17 is the Diablo engine and 24.15 is the L804 showing 3 different runner lengths for different power/torque tradeoff options.

Thanks for the info and for the fantastic pictures, Joe.

I do not know anything about this engine, i only saw the one there is at Factory museum, where it's listed at 1100 Hp without restrictors.

My mechanic did assistance to Adriano Panatta Class 1 race offshore L804 engines, but he just told me this, he does not work anymore on those engines since a lot of years.

That's an impressive unit, and it's the only big race winner thing that Lamborghini ever did.

Thanks again for sharing.

ciao

The Maritimo mechanic told me the same thing, 1100hp or so without a restrictor. Another thing that was very interesting, doing back to back engine dyno testing comparing 3>2>1 and 6>1 exhausts made no diffference to dyno results.

AUS1.jpg

:icon_super:

a007apl, do you know what year the "engine type 5000" started from?

Thank you so much for re-posting these pictures. I made a bunch of calls and made a few connections here in the states with people running these (Actually the 9.2 Liter). They loved them and had great things to say about them. You can see and hear them in action here

Thank you so much for re-posting these pictures. I made a bunch of calls and made a few connections here in the states with people running these (Actually the 9.2 Liter). They loved them and had great things to say about them. You can see and hear them in action here

No problem. If you find out anything interesting/technical, feel free to post it up.

Here are some bonus pics:

This engine got starved of oil through a turn, locked up a big end and a rod ended up smashing through the side of the block. The driver and throttleman noticed a vibration but decided to continue, putting the vibration and drop in performance to possibly losing a blade off a prop. They continued for at least another lap before the engine bay caught on fire. I was watching this race and it stopped in front of me with smoke pouring out of it everywhere. After this they made up their own sumps. I offered to buy this block off them to repair it for display purposes, but they wanted to melt it down and cast come components from the high grade alloy.

DSC00513.JPG

DSC00289.JPG

This one dropped a valve. They got their own valve springs made but there was valve bounce at 7200 rpm iirc. It was ok to go through this rev point but a throttleman held an engine at 7200 for a bit too long. The driver and throttleman kept racing for a lap or two before stopping. The head was eaten away very badly but was away getting repaired. I am guessing they sorted out this problem.

DSC00517.JPG

Engine rack with mostly mostly 2-stroke Detroit diesels, turbocharged and supercharged, some Lambo V12's up there too and some twin supercharged Mercury V8's. The diesels were banned a couple of years before I took these pics. The things would bust out 1600hp, some monsterous amount or torque (one cracked an engine dyno on testing) and rev out to about 3500rpm. The diesels were highly modified to cope with the extra revs and for quick engine response. From what I've gathered Maritimo stopped using the Lambo V12's a year or two ago and now only use the twin supercharged Mercury V8's

DSC00514.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Just found this vid from 2008. Shame about the music over the top but u get the idea. Note the twin Motech displays. It must be something else to race one of these beasts.