Muira is one weird ass car.

Surpassing_The_Heavens

Well, just the engine and tranny. What they heck, Lambo casted the engine and tranny as one whole piece? How does that even look just as a "bare block" doesn anyone have pics? I love the Muira, but the engine and tranny layout really whigs me out.

• 2 months later...

learn something new everyday

shows how un-versed i am in the ways of the old lambos

i just know the new ones and can manage to put a name to the older ones.

I grew up with a countach poster on my wall :supz:

They put it all together, to keep the length of the car compact. This is what I understand. It is wise to split the transmission and engine oil. You will have a very hard time finding an original block etc...... You will also have the cost of rebuilding the engine.

• 2 weeks later...

The engine block is a seperate casting from the tranny, not a one-piece casting. It did bolt to the top of the tranny and share its oil sump up until the last 100 or so SVs. Dallara got the idea from the Mini which also had a shared engine/transmission oil sump. It's really not as bad as it sounds for normal driving, but most opt for the SV style "sump separation" when the motor is overhauled.

• 2 weeks later...

Ralf, you said they did it for size, but does a Muira stack up as far as size is concerned to more modern cars that are easily comparable?

Thanks Islero, I got the impression that the who tranny and block was a one-piece casting. It sounded totally strange seeing/thinking of having the whole block and tranny as one big chunk of aluminium (I think they used Al)

:idea:

No way. The Miura was released waaaay to early. They did not get the car down correctly, until they released the SV. The SV is a sorted Miura. Also a Miura is not like a 57 Chevy, or 67 Stingray. Everyone modifies the early cars, to help improve the car. The car has quite a few faults. Design and the actual engine (itself), are not one of the faults of the car.

A modern car is much more refined vs the Miura.

Released to early? How many years to early do you think it was? Personally I think it was/is the worlds first supercar. Mid engine, v12, 180mph I believe.

What do you mean by the 57 Chevy comment? You mean, the Muira isn't kept fact perfect like a 57 Chevy?

I mentioned that the car was not (completly) ready until 1971. I understand the SV is the "ironed out" "fixed" Miura.

57 Chevy comment ? A show condition 57 Chevy will have owners trying to find the correct screw, and people trying to replacate the factory flaws during the production. They strive to bring the car as close to 1957 condition as possible.

A typical Miura owner, will replace some cheap original Italian part with a new Bosch unit. They will add reinforcement to the chassis. They will probably increase engine cooling capacity. They will have to remove rust, where the factory paid no attention to water management. They will modify (if they are smart) the engine sump configuration. etc........

Modifiying a Lambo, esp a classic one is my kind of fun! To bad I probably won't ever own one. If one were to buy a "regular" Muira, can SV specs be had easily?

The Sump configuration sounds like an ordeal though, but all the upgraded ign control seems to be easy enough from a website I saw on a Countach.

There are far less expensive classic Lamborghinis that are affordable. I think the Islero is the #1 "relatively" cheap Lamborghini to buy. I think the style is quite decent. It looks very nice. You can find a nice Islero for a starting price of around 25K. However I would recommend a top of the line Islero. You can find a decent Espada and Jarama for even less. They are all pure classic Lamborghinis.

The car (Islero) faces the same problem (however not as badly) as the Espada, 412, 400i, and Jarama etc..... They cost a lot of money to fix big problems. This is why you want to find the best car you can locate. However the Islero can bring more than 50K.

SV specs on an entry level P400 and Miura S ? People have added SV parts to the other cars. It only takes money, if that is what you want. My car was already modified with the split sump configuration. I do not know what the procedure is ?

I try to keep my Miura as stock as possible. However I will fix (with aftermarket products) items that really should be changed out. Engine sump, and cooling etc....

Hey, those Isleros look nice, the back half of the window isn't hot, but the rest looks nice. :idea: Why is it that the Isleros are so cheap as far as a classic Lambo is concerned? Is it the 2+2 design? I did a quick search and they look hot Red, black, and silver, very nice! I prefer classic cars the most as opposed to new ones. Theirs something special about them, and a classic Lambo would be a total joy to drive and own.

The Jarama and Espada I'll pass on. Their very few Lambos I like, but the 400GT, Muira, Diablo, Murcie, Countach, and now Islero are ones I do like very much.

http://www.lamborghiniregistry.com/intro.html

Unless I win the lottery something like the Yellow one is FAR FAR FAR out of reach.

Got any pics of yours?

Hey, those Isleros look nice, the back half of the window isn't hot, but the rest looks nice.  :idea: Why is it that the Isleros are so cheap as far as a classic Lambo is concerned? Is it the 2+2 design? I did a quick search and they look hot Red, black, and silver, very nice! I prefer classic cars the most as opposed to new ones. Theirs something special about them, and a classic Lambo would be a total joy to drive and own.  

The Jarama  and Espada I'll pass on. Their very few Lambos I like, but the 400GT, Muira, Diablo, Murcie, Countach, and now Islero are ones I do like very much.

http://www.lamborghiniregistry.com/intro.html

Unless I win the lottery something like the Yellow one is FAR FAR FAR out of reach.

Got any pics of yours?

Fortunately or unfortunately the "classic" early Lamborghinis are not as valuable as a parallel Ferrari. The Miura SV has recently put up a very respectable showing. The Miura, Miura S, 350/400GT and Islero are all clearly undervalued. The Espada and Jarama are complete bargains.

However since the Countach, the Lamborghinis have held their own (values) against the similar Ferrari. Sometimes they have even done better. Example a Countach is worth more than a Testarossa etc.... The unusual collector grade original Countach automobiles, are actually beginning to pull away from the Boxer.

Good luck with a Miura someday. The Islero is a hell of a bargain. It is 100% pure Lamborghini. I would like an Islero. PM me and I will be happy to send you some pics. I may need your e-mail. I just took a superb shot of the car on a lake. I do not have the software to shrink the pic. It really is a spectacular shot. I did post some pics of my car in the general section. I purposely pissed some people off, by telling them that I was ready to walk out the door, and pick up a new Lamborghini. However I conveniently forgot to mention the name of the car. The thread is somewhere in the general section. However this new pic is awesome !!

I would consider the Islero, if you want a "relatively" inexpensive CLASSIC Lamborghini. It is a real classic that can be found for a good price. There is an excellent Islero website. That is the best place to start.

• 2 weeks later...

Ralph

I think the Islero has been discoverd.I haven't seen any at the 25k range.The cheapest i have come across is more like 60k.

I wouldn't mind getting one as i think that is still cheap for a V12 car

Aram:

That is surprising. 60K ? The car that Isleroman purchased from Bobileff Motor in San Diego, was listed on their website for the mid 60's. That is an S car that is obviously in top shape.

My 25K comment was the starting point for a driver. Their actually was a car listed from Canada, in Hemmings a few months ago. I believe it had an asking price of around 25K. It did need some work. I have seen the typical restored cars, being offered in the hi 30's to low 40's. Perhaps the market had a recent surge in price, due to demand ?

Anyway you look at it, the Islero is a very good deal. Here is a chance for someone to pick up a true "classic," for the price of a new Plastic mess-06.

• 2 months later...

I recently saw an Islero at the Italian Car Fest over the weekend. It looked really great! The slant rear window as I stated earlier while seeing in person doesn't look bad at all, in fact it looks really nice, I like it! The size and shape are fantastic, it was a lot smaller and narrower then I thought, I think it's smaller then a F360? I wanted to ask the owner some questions, but he was chatting with someone else, and I was crunched for time and had to leave back to Austin soon. :oops:

I recently saw an Islero at the Italian Car Fest  over the weekend. It looked really great! The slant rear window as I stated earlier while seeing in person doesn't look bad at all, in fact it looks really nice, I like it! The size and shape are fantastic, it was a lot smaller and narrower then I thought, I think it's smaller then a F360? I wanted to ask the owner some questions, but he was chatting with someone else, and I was crunched for time and had to leave back to Austin soon. :oops:

The Islero is the best buy out their in my opinion. It has good looks and all the classic goodies. I would like to find one a few years from now.

Same thing. Buy the best mechanical car you can find. ......Wait for someone to sell if for an electric wheelchair.

Ralphie, whats a set of muira SV wheels worth?

No clue ?