LP640 Air Vents & 1st Gear

MnM

Hey guys

picked up my 640 a couple of weeks back, was wondering if anybody else had the same issues -

1) the button to 'open' the air vents is a little buggy? Sometimes it opens up, sometimes it doesn't, when I try to open it manually with the button, it opens up only if the car is not moving (doesn't open when car is moving), but it folds right back in when the car starts to move.

2)

Also, the first gear - I read about this , don't know if anybody managed to find a solution? - especially when the car is on an incline, the 1st gear is very jerky, for lack of a better word. Doesn't happen all the time though, maybe once every 4-5 times the car is moving off from a dead stop, on a slope.

Anybody with any similar issues or solutions, would be cool to hear from you guys!

I just picked up mine last week and haven't tried the air vents yet, but have experienced the exact situation with the transmission on an incline. I have a very steep driveway and found the same thing. Unfortunately I have some other problems:

Whent the car comes to a dead stop and the tranny downshifts from 2nd to 1st it sounds like something is rolling around.

The car puts out a lot of white smoke on cold startup, even though it was realateively warm outside.

And, while driving about an hour, the ABS light started flashing along with the beeping sound. After I turned off the car and restarted it the light went off.

Hope this is not a sign of things to come..

Hey guys

picked up my 640 a couple of weeks back, was wondering if anybody else had the same issues -

1) the button to 'open' the air vents is a little buggy? Sometimes it opens up, sometimes it doesn't, when I try to open it manually with the button, it opens up only if the car is not moving (doesn't open when car is moving), but it folds right back in when the car starts to move.

2)

Also, the first gear - I read about this , don't know if anybody managed to find a solution? - especially when the car is on an incline, the 1st gear is very jerky, for lack of a better word. Doesn't happen all the time though, maybe once every 4-5 times the car is moving off from a dead stop, on a slope.

Anybody with any similar issues or solutions, would be cool to hear from you guys!

The air vents open at a certain temperature to allow more air flow to cool the engine. When you hit the button to open them when stopped, and then start moving, then close at about 5 mph.

Which transmission do you have???

You can "trick" the vents into staying open by turning off the main battery switch in the engine compartment while the car is running, just be careful if you do leave them open as some people on the board have experienced the piece that holds them open are fragile. If you do a search there is a thread from a while back which goes into more detail on the "batwings"

As far as the trani if it's E gear just takes a little practice to get the right amount of throttle application when starting on a hill. Better to get it to engage faster cause its very easy to smoke a clutch if your too gentle.

The air vents open at a certain temperature to allow more air flow to cool the engine. When you hit the button to open them when stopped, and then start moving, then close at about 5 mph.

Which transmission do you have???

I have the e-gear. If the vents close at about 5mph, what's the point of the button though? Presumably it doesn't work when it is on the move?

You can "trick" the vents into staying open by turning off the main battery switch in the engine compartment while the car is running, just be careful if you do leave them open as some people on the board have experienced the piece that holds them open are fragile. If you do a search there is a thread from a while back which goes into more detail on the "batwings"

As far as the trani if it's E gear just takes a little practice to get the right amount of throttle application when starting on a hill. Better to get it to engage faster cause its very easy to smoke a clutch if your too gentle.

Well I don't really want to trick them to staying open permanently, just that it would be neat if they could open on demand when the car was on the move. I thought that was what the button was for, although it doesn't seem to work as I would have liked. :crybaby2:

For the E-gear - I'm pretty sure it's just this car, it lurches, on the slope (happens maybe once every 4-5 times). I've never had it happen on my 360 / 430 / G cars before, and also all e-gear/f1 transmission though. Pretty sucky.

And of course, there are no electronic seats, which suck too. Haha. I'm sure all the purists will tell me to get a toyota instead.

The vents open automatically and stay open on the move when the outside air temp or engine temp gets hot enough. The former happens all the time when in South of France 30 degrees plus.... The latter happened once when my Murci threw the drivebelt just and I was trying to get off motorway traffic... as I watched the water temp climb. FYI - when you lose the power steering pump (if the belt comes off !) you lose the front suspension lift. Double tricky to get on a recovery truck..

WRT the hunting in first or reverse when manouvering.. My e-gear does it too. Especially if you are trying to manouvre into a tight spot, requiring a gentle throttle touch.. Must be a software 'feature' with the e-gear.

Also, there's drinks at Lamborghini London, tomorrow (Wed 4th) 7PM. If anyone didn't get an invite, wants to lig their way in. Sophie Atkins at HRO is the one to talk to.

If the vents close at about 5mph, what's the point of the button though?

that's a very good point. the button should give you the option to leave the vents open. i went the trick method, only way to fly. :eusa_dance:

• 1 year later...

Donatella and MnM, have you guys found a solution to the lurching, bogging problem with 1st and Reverse on Incline?

I just got an 09 LP640 with this problem, dealer doesn't have a solution.

Kind of wish I had kept my manual G.... that was really great fun.

Donatella and MnM, have you guys found a solution to the lurching, bogging problem with 1st and Reverse on Incline?

It really just takes practice. You can't be afraid of giving it some gas as you start off. You need to press down about a quarter of the way for the clutch to catch. Then back off as the clutch grabs. There really isn't any adjustment that can be made. I have a real steep driveway and that's the only way I can make it up into the garage. Just keep your left foot close to the brake until you get it down.....

Basically give it gas and go, don't pussyfoot it.

As for the vents, they manual below 85 degrees to speeds up to 32 MPH. Above either 85 degrees or speeds over 32 MPH, they are automatic only. They remain open in hot temperatures (above 85) regardless of speed. I've driven my car up to 178 MPH with the vents still open. If they are closing at 5 MPH, I suspect older software.

As for the lurching, take your car to the dealer, have the technician sit with his laptop plugged into the A2DP port and have him adjust it according to your driving style. It could be that you're too light on the throttle or that you could have some glaze on the clutch, from overheating it and letting it slip on an incline or something.

I just picked up mine last week and haven't tried the air vents yet, but have experienced the exact situation with the transmission on an incline. I have a very steep driveway and found the same thing. Unfortunately I have some other problems:

Whent the car comes to a dead stop and the tranny downshifts from 2nd to 1st it sounds like something is rolling around.

The car puts out a lot of white smoke on cold startup, even though it was realateively warm outside.

And, while driving about an hour, the ABS light started flashing along with the beeping sound. After I turned off the car and restarted it the light went off.

Hope this is not a sign of things to come..

Have you had a compression check on the engine? I'm wondering if you're getting coolant in the cylinders. What year is your car? The other problems don't sound normal. As for lurching, that's an adjustment.

Guys, it would be helpful if you could post up who the dealers are who are both selling and servicing your cars as it sounds like they are not providing you the right support. I also strongly suggest going out with other LP640 owners who don't have the same problem and have them ride with you and see what you're doing differently. You just shouldn't be having these problems if it's properly adjusted.