Would this work? Rear grill update on a 94 VT

Andrew R.

Guys, anyone have an idea whether this would bolt right up or not?

my_diablo.jpg

newer_diablo.jpg

Thinking of upgrading to the newer style rear grill because of how it looks and the heat damage done to the badges and reverse lights. I guess I would delete the reverse lights and add the chrome badges as well.

Good idea, bad idea? Would it work?

Andrew - I was thinking the exact same thing for my car.... Or to build one. Excuse the terminology, I'm a former FCar guy, but it's similar to a challenge grill. Let's out more heat and looks better.

Yeah, the back up light would have to go and the bull in the center looks great.

I'll start trying to source one and see if I can get a price break if I buy 2... would appreciate you doing same. You may have to do some real minor mods to make it fit. I removed my old one for cleaning a few weeks back and it's not a deal.

What year did that grill come out?

I am not 100 percent positive but that car looks like a 97 or 98 roadster ? The Roadster itself was introduced in 96 .

Wow, $300? Where from?

DIDO - I'll buy it now!

Andrew...hang on.... I know I guy, who knows I guy, etc.

I sent him an email and will know in a day or two... Let's see what he says... I'll ask him to include the silver bull for the middle...

Well, there are two different styles.... 97-99 and the 2000-2001

Like Dave, I'm in at the right price also...

Sorry for the delay in responding...went out of town to pick up a "project car"

Frank

I could swear that the millennium roadsters were actually titled as 99's and that only the 2 yellow euro mr's were 00's. But I could be completly wrong :?: :)

Besides the looks and all that... I wonder if much more heat can pass through that grill, since the whole space is grill instead of the painted frame.... just wondering.

I still cant believe how hot that air is coming from that rear grill even after the car has sat for a bit!

Andrew - that's because the cats sit right there.... dump them and go with test pipes or hollowed out cats... when it comes to smog check time it only takes about an hour (do it yourself) to swap back to cats. Also the stock muffler weighs more than my boat anchor... a tubi will shave about 30 pounds off the weight.

What about a 6.0 like Whart's car (hope he does not mind I used the pix)

This would be a piece of cake to make if I had a stock old one to work with...

Allan, I say 30lb to be conservative - I know because I did it myself. Actually the stock one weighs closer to 50lb (or felt like it), then account for about 15 pounds for the Tubi and the net difference is around 35 or so. I was expecting the usual cooler running, more hp, more sound results...what really surprised me was the improvement in throttle response... very nice.