The new Gallardo 550-2

a007apl

I don't see how offering a lower cost model is going to help any current Gallardo owners maintain any sort of "exclusivity". I just don't see the point of a budget model that looks like the G - it seems out of line with the whole brand, and will devalue the current G's even faster.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

if they wanted to make a "budget" gallardo, why dont they just put the 4.2 RS4 v8 from audi in it?, half of the rumoured "modifications" to make it cheaper than a standard 560 are superficial.

30kg less?

10bhp less?

10% less?

afew cheap mods, and it will be both cheaper, lighter AND have the same amount of hp = quicker

sounds like lamborghini are going to shoot themselves in the foot

I don't see how offering a lower cost model is going to help any current Gallardo owners maintain any sort of "exclusivity". I just don't see the point of a budget model that looks like the G - it seems out of line with the whole brand, and will devalue the current G's even faster.

:iamwithstupid: ...and since the KLD website (the only place that mentions this model) has a section of (modified) cars from Affolter, Italcardesign, etc. --- perhaps it's one of those 'types'.

tkx guys, I'm not have pics yet, but news (another source):

- 30kg less

- 10% price reduction over LP560-4

ps.: Not "Leggera" version

This cannot be correct........it has absolutely no purpose or point from any angle?

afew cheap mods, and it will be both cheaper, lighter AND have the same amount of hp = quicker

sounds like lamborghini are going to shoot themselves in the foot

No doubt, a simple ecu upgrade will fix the horsepower/performance issue.

Lamborghini is also screwing existing owners; we are getting murdered by DEPRECIATION, and by flooding the market with a cheapo model this will only make the problem worse . An exotic car should only depreciate 10 to 15% a year, not the the massive 30% first year hit we have been seeing lately.

Knowing that a used, low mileage LP560 will fetch around 180k, I would be more inclined to buy new if the list price was around 210-215k, not 250K.

The LP550-2 appears to be an act of desperation, I hope this thing never sees the light of day.

i think they are tring to sell the 560-4 already built or already programmed that cannot find a buyer at regular price today

a possible way to push sales is .............. make a discount but lambo CANNOT discount...

this is lambo way to discount the gallardo without upsetting 560 owners too much ....

it is also what we are asking for since years...a 2wd lighter car

honestly i think it is a good thing they are getting back to rwd...may be this car will not make 560 owners happy but i think the car itself should be a great car and could bring us to even better 2wd lambos in the future (may be a 2wd G SL )

this is lambo way to discount the gallardo without upsetting 560 owners too much ....

In all reality, there are very few 560 owners to piss off, most of the cars are collecting dust at ports, or on dealers lots! The 560 is overpriced, and the 550-2 will be equally overpriced, when you factor in ownership costs...read DEPRECIATION!

In all reality, there are very few 560 owners to piss off, most of the cars are collecting dust at ports, or on dealers lots! The 560 is overpriced, and the 550-2 will be equally overpriced, when you factor in ownership costs...read DEPRECIATION!

All new premium cars are overpriced, has always been, always will be. Buy an american car if you want to play safe........

if lamborghini had a brain, they would put the RS4 V8 into the "cheaper" gallardo.

keeping the existing v10, like i said before, makes it too easy for buyers to upgrade the car to the same level as the 560, thus hitting resale values on the higher models.

afterall, id be pissed if i was paying $20,000 more for a simple ecu upgrade!

All new premium cars are overpriced, has always been, always will be. Buy an american car if you want to play safe........

You missed my point, at 250k a LP560 would be a great deal IF it fetched a decent resale price a year later. A few years ago G and Fcar resale values held up pretty well, which is not the case today. Flooding the market with a cheaper product will not solve the depreciation problem, only cheapen the brand image and exacerbate it. Lamborghinis are depreciating almost at the rate of benz AMGs..... thats not good!

You missed my point, at 250k a LP560 would be a great deal IF it fetched a decent resale price a year later. A few years ago G and Fcar resale values held up pretty well, which is not the case today. Flooding the market with a cheaper product will not solve the depreciation problem, only cheapen the brand image and exacerbate it. Lamborghinis are depreciating almost at the rate of benz AMGs..... thats not good!

Well, a 2wd is not a 4wd. People buying a modern Lambo generally wants the 4wd package. Maybe the 2wd-trick will get the brand some new customers, from the Ferrari-camp.

the rwd car is a way to sell some new cars

let's face it the sold Gs are already depreciating in an ugly way (even modern F cars are at this moment...)

the fact the slightly cheaper 550-2 would be available won't change much imo

now they have to solve the lack of sales, the trend of worring depreciation lambos are facing will come later...it is not the first problem for factory today

Well, a 2wd is not a 4wd. People buying a modern Lambo generally wants the 4wd package. Maybe the 2wd-trick will get the brand some new customers, from the Ferrari-camp.

The scud is the RWD king of the hill, do you think a stripped down, much slower RWD G would appeal to the typical Fcar fan? Truth is, due to the shitty economy, both camps have become a lot smaller, sales are way down for both companies and both have a lot of excess production capacity. Hopefully I am wrong, but based on the limited info we have, the LP550-2 appears to be an exercise of marketing bottom fishing.

The scud is the RWD king of the hill, do you think a stripped down, much slower RWD G would appeal to the typical Fcar fan? Truth is, due to the shitty economy, both camps have become a lot smaller, sales are way down for both companies and both have a lot of excess production capacity. Hopefully I am wrong, but based on the limited info we have, the LP550-2 appears to be an exercise of marketing bottom fishing.

Dont know if the Scud is the king of the hill, but you got a point of marketing bottom fishing. This is not what Lambo needs or the customers want, I dont know what it is......... Go for the LP560-SL and the new Murc!!! We dont need this!

Dont know if the Scud is the king of the hill, but you got a point of marketing bottom fishing. This is not what Lambo needs or the customers want, I dont know what it is......... Go for the LP560-SL and the new Murc!!! We dont need this!

(If true) .......It's outrageous. They just introduced the LP560-4 as their ballyhooed replacement for the Gallardo and within 6 months of delivering the first cars to customers, they would start selling, for all intents and purposes, pretty much the same car for $20k less !! I could see if they intro'd another version such as the SE or Nera, etc. with slight price premium. But, this is shafting the few people that bought cars, almost before their car's are even broken-in! Is this how they think they will gain loyalty for their brand ? They have already left a bad taste in my mouth with the Audi R8 ............Makes me look forward, even more, to seeing what the 'new' Lotus Esprit may be like.

Alas, I wonder if the title of next issue of Lamborghini's glitzy "silver-covered" magazine (sent to owners from Italy, with the catchy one word title) will be called Sucker. :icon_mrgreen:

(If true) .......It's outrageous. They just introduced the LP560-4 as their ballyhooed replacement for the Gallardo and within 6 months of delivering the first cars to customers, they would start selling, for all intents and purposes, pretty much the same car for $20k less !! I could see if they intro'd another version such as the SE or Nera, etc. with slight price premium. But, this is shafting the few people that bought cars, almost before their car's are even broken-in! Is this how they think they will gain loyalty for their brand ? They have already left a bad taste in my mouth with the Audi R8 ............Makes me look forward, even more, to seeing what the 'new' Lotus Esprit may be like.

Alas, I wonder if the title of next issue of Lamborghini's glitzy "silver-covered" magazine (sent to owners from Italy, with the catchy one word title) will be called Sucker. :icon_mrgreen:

You and Vroom are correct, especially since the pics of the car show that it has the same equipment that a nicely-loaded LP560-4 does, namely glass bonnet, DVD-nav, G-SL wheels, "optional" 6-speed, etc.

Lamborghini_Gallardo_LP550_2_2010_1600x1200_wallpaper_01.jpg

Lamborghini_Gallardo_LP550_2_2010_1600x1200_wallpaper_02.jpg

Lamborghini_Gallardo_LP550_2_2010_1600x1200_wallpaper_04.jpg

interesting fact: there is no profile photo of the car, so you cannot read logo near the rear wheel, or can somebody read it?

I've been told that it may be called the Balboni edition. Not sure on the reliability of the source though.... Plus Lamborghini (as far as I can remember) have never produced a special edition that they've given a different name. It's always been based on number/letter varients (SV, GT, QV ect.)

I've been told that it may be called the Balboni edition. Not sure on the reliability of the source though....

I doubt it is true - its almost sacrilegious.

Good morning guys, I'm see now the photos and love that, wait to see the new version on tests.