The new Gallardo 550-2

a007apl

This doesn't match the speculation that was going around, but a007 has been 100% reliable in the past. Strange decision on the factory's part to go with RWD without lightening the car, though you do get a "white sticker" for your money... :icon_mrgreen:

Thanks 007, get KLD to send us some pictures! :icon_thumleft:

If true, Autocar was nearly right.....

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

you sure its not just a rwd LP560? or perhaps the LP550 is genuinely 550/540 hp, since we know the LP560 is closer to 600 hp.

Ahh yes, my bad

So why would they just detune the engine 10PS?

Factory hp claims on the G have been bogus so far, so expect the same with the new rumored econo G. The LP560 makes more than 560 hp, and the Gallardo makes less than 520 hp.

The 0/100 kph time of 3.9 seconds is in line with Gallardo and R8 V10, which would suggest an overstatement of power on the LP550-2.

Factory hp claims on the G have been bogus so far, so expect the same with the new rumored econo G. The LP560 makes more than 560 hp, and the Gallardo makes less than 520 hp.

The 0/100 kph time of 3.9 seconds is in line with Gallardo and R8 V10, which would suggest an overstatement of power on the LP550-2.

why? if the 0-100 km/h is 3.9 seconds, its 0-96 km/h time will be 3.8 seconds, and with a 1 foot rollout a 0-60 time of about 3.5 seconds. not too bad! only cars that are faster to 60 are AWD cars or superlight ones (ie Scuderia)

why? if the 0-100 km/h is 3.9 seconds, its 0-96 km/h time will be 3.8 seconds, and with a 1 foot rollout a 0-60 time of about 3.5 seconds. not too bad! only cars that are faster to 60 are AWD cars or superlight ones (ie Scuderia)

The LP550-2 is rumored to be an econo version of the LP560, selling for 10% less. If the rumors are true, it will not be faster than a LP560, but it will be a lot lighter. So lighter and slower mean less hp than advertised!

The LP550-2 is rumored to be an econo version of the LP560, selling for 10% less. If the rumors are true, it will not be faster than a LP560, but it will be a lot lighter. So lighter and slower mean less hp than advertised!

Unless it's all just marketing and they don't want to make the 560-4 guys feel bad so they have to put the 550 number on the "lesser" car. :D

I don't get a budget car in this price point. Is it really going to make a difference? It's gotta be that the car provides at least a lighter more agile feel and a better driving experience for those that dig the RWD feel. Is a 20k price reduction really going to help sales enough to make up for the perceived value of the model going down? Can a branding/brand management wizard help me understand?

Unless it's all just marketing and they don't want to make the 560-4 guys feel bad so they have to put the 550 number on the "lesser" car. :D

I don't get a budget car in this price point. Is it really going to make a difference? It's gotta be that the car provides at least a lighter more agile feel and a better driving experience for those that dig the RWD feel. Is a 20k price reduction really going to help sales enough to make up for the perceived value of the model going down? Can a branding/brand management wizard help me understand?

Sorry, I don't get it either. To begin with, the LP560 almost feels like a RWD car And why build a lighter car, detune the engine to Audi R8 V10 specs, offer slower performance? Lighter and faster make good ad/marketing copy, not lighter and slower! The 25k savings, will not mean much to the typical buyer.

The factory should bite the bullet, discount the LP560 by 25k and then follow up with a lighter/faster SL style track version @ 250k.

The factory should bite the bullet, discount the LP560 by 25k and then follow up with a lighter/faster SL style track version @ 250k.

This is the right solution.

why would it be a lot lighter? removing the awd would lose 150ish lbs. even if they take off 200 lbs, having 540 hp compared to the LP560's near 600 would still make it slower. my guess is that this thing is going to be just slightely quicker than a G-SL if its built at all.

also, have there been any other dynoes (asides from yours) of 06 Gallardos for us to assume they are overrating the power? allan's car and the Superleggera dynoed on Heffner's showed lambo's figures to be accurate.

why would it be a lot lighter? removing the awd would lose 150ish lbs. even if they take off 200 lbs, having 540 hp compared to the LP560's near 600 would still make it slower. my guess is that this thing is going to be just slightely quicker than a G-SL if its built at all.

also, have there been any other dynoes (asides from yours) of 06 Gallardos for us to assume they are overrating the power? allan's car and the Superleggera dynoed on Heffner's showed lambo's figures to be accurate.

I think it's around 80-ish.

tkx guys, I'm not have pics yet, but news (another source):

- 30kg less

- 10% price reduction over LP560-4

ps.: Not "Leggera" version

See? No weight loss beyond the front diff. But again, you DO get a white sticker folks! :icon_thumleft:

Well, some people have been crying out for RWD, so they're finally being given what they want. But by putting it into a junior model, they're still marketting AWD as the superior system, as it's in the superior car. So it's a way of providing RWD without losing any of the integrity of the company's AWD-is-king philosophy. Cunning!

Assuming it's true, of course...

But only a 10 hp difference?? Makes no sense. 10 hp is not even remotely noticeable, except on paper or in the opinions of those who care only about bragging rights. If you're going to make a "step-down," lower-level, cheaper car you'd make it with noticeably less power, like 40 or 50 hp less. Otherwise, why not just keep the power the same as the LP560? Clearly, with some minor aftermarket work an owner could easily get the extra 10 hp back.

Makes no sense.

Well, some people have been crying out for RWD, so they're finally being given what they want. But by putting it into a junior model, they're still marketting AWD as the superior system, as it's in the superior car. So it's a way of providing RWD without losing any of the integrity of the company's AWD-is-king philosophy. Cunning!

Assuming it's true, of course...

... and they can't just (as Mr. Vroom posted) cut the price of the LP560 by $25k, because I think they would have a very serious problem with customers who have already bought the car (I'd never buy another one of their cars, if they did that). If they did, it would immediately cause a bigger drop in value than exists already. As noted by Utcobras, this de-contented car is very bizarre marketing. It's a fire sale by the factory itself and looks like desperation. Is there going to be a bargain version of the Reventon or the LP640 next, lol.

But only a 10 hp difference?? Makes no sense. 10 hp is not even remotely noticeable, except on paper or in the opinions of those who care only about bragging rights. If you're going to make a "step-down," lower-level, cheaper car you'd make it with noticeably less power, like 40 or 50 hp less. Otherwise, why not just keep the power the same as the LP560? Clearly, with some minor aftermarket work an owner could easily get the extra 10 hp back.

Makes no sense.

As has been discussed earlier in this thread, it's possible that the 550 figure will either be more accurate than the 560's massively underrated figure, or even go the other way and be overrated. That way, there will be a noticeable performance drop despite the weightloss.

A true 10hp drop would indeed be fairly meaningless, especially with the loss of 30kg. I agree that it would have been better for the LP560 to market the 2wd car as having a bigger power deficit, but another thing to consider is the Audi R8 V10 - too low a figure and there will be direct competition within the same family.

It could just be some engines dynoed a bit less at the factory it's only a 2% difference, just like some engines dynoed a bit more for the LP-640 so they put them aside.

I don't buy into the whole LP-560 has 600hp thing. I put it down to a much improved torque curve over the Gallardo throughout the rev range, It will make it feel like it has much more power as the engine generates more power earlier.

You have the keep in mind that the 560 has improved transmission and so forth and therefore is puting the power down alot better than the older gallardos. If the SL had a 20% drivetrain loss the 560 has probably about 15% so it is putting down alot more but has truly only 560 crank hp.

So the new G will have the same transmission as the 560( I think that´s pretty safe to assume), so a real 10hp decrease should not be noticable.

Very strange car....

This car will not be good from a dig, but for roll racing, it should rock. Especially once someone puts some wider Dymags on it in the back. :icon_super:

And a tuner TT kit!!!!........Hell yeah!!

The bottom line is they have just too many "special editions" of the same vehicle. Every year they come out with some new marketing gimmick in hopes of boosting withering sales. :eusa_naughty: