Smoke coming from the engine compartment

I decided to take the car out on Monday for a nice little ride. Started it up, backed out of the garage and drove 10 feet down my driveway to notice that there was smoke coming from the engine compartment. Whisping smoke tendrils, the type you see from something burning. I immediately turned the engine off, popped the lid and looked for any signs of flames. I couldn't see anything but there was a very strong smell of something burning. This wasn't a mechanical burn smell but of paint burning or plastic burning. Called Lamborghini Roadside Assistance (provided by Hagerty Insurance) and the car was towed to Lamborghini of Long Island. Hopefully I will hear back soon as to what happened or what it could be. It's a 2009 LP640 with 1000 miles on it :(

No oil recently or anything added to the car. I thought of a small animal as well, but our garage is pretty animal free. I posted some pictures when I first got it back in September of 08 :) They are in the forums somewhere, I haven't had a chance to take any new ones recently due to the crappy weather we ahve been having in CT this year.

I posted some pictures when I first got it back in September of 08 :) They are in the forums somewhere, I haven't had a chance to take any new ones recently due to the crappy weather we ahve been having in CT this year.

LINK

Maybe it's a rat cooking in your engine compartment. That happened in my old SL55 - rats made a nest there and it was just a disaster... I've never even seen a rat at my house before either.

My engine smoked once when my E Gear fluid burped a bit on my manifold.

This happend at a hill climb event and I had just parked and walked away and over the PA a voice said "would the owner of the yellow Lamborghini please return to the car as smoke is comming from the engine"

When I got back about 50 people were standing next to it expecting to see a bonfire.

I have also had the oil on the manifold thing when trying to top the oil up. Stupid place for the filler on the new lp.

Anyway hope your situation turns out OK and is not major.

Russell

Got word today from the dealer. Turns out YelloMurci that it is the same problem you had. For some unknown reason the Egear fluid decided to leak onto the manifold. They are going to clean it up and drain a little out, and hopefully that resolves the issue. They also stated that E-Gear fluid is flammable so its a good thing I was close to home and shut it off. I definitely will be keeping a fire extinguisher in the car from now on just in case. Thanks everyone for your replies and comments :)

My engine smoked once when my E Gear fluid burped a bit on my manifold.

This happend at a hill climb event and I had just parked and walked away and over the PA a voice said "would the owner of the yellow Lamborghini please return to the car as smoke is comming from the engine"

When I got back about 50 people were standing next to it expecting to see a bonfire.

I have also had the oil on the manifold thing when trying to top the oil up. Stupid place for the filler on the new lp.

Anyway hope your situation turns out OK and is not major.

Russell

I remember you posted about that once afew years back. scary

No oil recently or anything added to the car. I thought of a small animal as well, but our garage is pretty animal free.

What about "ugly animals"? :eusa_whistle: