2004 Gallardo vs 2007 R8

Bike

I can get a pretty good deal on both cars (about the same price). Cars are on the other side of the country so haven´t had any time yet to testdrive them.

The 2004 Gallardo has 5k miles on it, yellow/black but it´s an E-gear unfortunately.

The 2007 R8 has 10k miles on it, white/black and it´s a manual :icon_thumleft: And it´s LOADED with carbon-fiber...engine-compartment, interior, sideblades. The nicest R8 I´ve ever seen.

I´ve heared some bad stories about 2004 E-gear´s....any truth to this? I hate not having a clutch :eusa_wall: Sucks driving traffic, parking etc.

It´s such a hard choice to choose between these 2 rides IMO.

Any suggestions? What you would choose?

I have an 04 G with Egear. The only thing I dont like about the Egear is 1st gear...cant really get off the line as fast as a manual. Other than that I f-in love it! Haivng the ability of having your hands on the wheel and shifting gears in a second just adds to the edge of insanity feeling.....also there not a lot of room down there for your feet and a clutch.....why do race cars use it?? cause it's sweet :) This is always a huge back and forth about manuals vs. Egears and truthfully....if someone actually had expereince with both they would see that both have thier place....and it's truly a personal preference....... dont believe the hype.......read through this forum ...you'll find a TON of info on this subject alone.......and nothing sounds like the Egear downshifting......The R8 will not get the same response as the lambo or the feeling of a true exotic in my opionion. The only thing about the 04's would be to make sure the Egear software is up to date and also that is has the latest clutch....mine had to be replaced at 6k miles but that was before i bought it ...just make sure you have a PPI done on it to be sure there are no other problems.....and does the R8 even come close to the look of a Lambo ??? I dont think so.......LAMBO all the way!!!!

:)

I am sure both are great cars and fun to drive.

I have had an 04 Gallardo (one of the first in the US) and I bought an 07 Spyder. Of all the exotics in the last 15 years I have had - the Gallardo is the best hands down...

I just think the Gallardo and Lamborghini Marquee is the better to own than the R8...

Porter, Wayne, and a few others will hopefully chime in as they've owned both cars. Vroom has spent significant seat time in both also, he may offer some good guidance.

If strait line speed and design/looks/status are the most important criteria, go with the 04 G. If not go with the R8, which has the same running gear/chassis/ suspension as the LP560, which will make it a better car to take to the track. The biggest problem with the 2007 R8, is the V8 engine... which doesn't make enough hp. The R8 V10 corrects that issue.

The R8 has one of the best 6speed manual transmissions I have ever driven. The 04 G egear sucks ass and if it takes a dump, will cost big $$$ to fix, something like 15k I believe.

I own a 04 Egear (though with an uodated clutch), and my car is also coverted to RWD, and I have driven a R8 many times, and I do not think it is a sports car, to me it is a GT car, in fact it is pretty boring. I like cars that are a bit more edgy. I will admit the R8 manual is a better tranny, but you can certainly find a 6 speed G for a good price. I have only bought 1 car in my life (I have owned close to 225 cars), that I did not drive first, and it was a 430, my advise, find a way to drive the cars before you drop 100K on one of them.

Heh, probably close to 200K for Bike. ;)

Isn't the 04 G significantly slower than the later G models?

Also, don't forget that one is under warranty from probably another 2-3 years or 40k miles. I guess you should just go drive them both and figure out which one looks better. Both will do pretty much the same thing for the most part, and for what they can't do, you have your GT3.

I've owned an 08 R8 and an 09 LP560.

The 04 egear isn't perfect however if you haven't driven an 04 Murcielago egear (awful) or an 09 560 egear (incredible) you will not really have a baseline and will find the 04 adequate.

The R8 manual is a great transmission and I preferred it over the R-Tronic.

As Mr. Vroom mentioned the R8 V8 needs a bit more HP. As it is there is simply not enough power and especially torque. That said it is indeed a better track car over the 04 G and more importantly it is the better daily driver if that is what you are looking for.

However if you're looking for a weekend/evening toy that makes you feel tits and that is still manageable around town the G is the choice.

I've bought the Audi R8, thanks for the comments guys. I loved the R8 + manual gearbox. And it's usable as a daily, and doesn't get that much attention.

Please don't kill me LOL

It's the 2006 gallardo spyder I want and not the 2004 coupe. So I'll just wait till prices gets lower and then add a Gallardo Spyder. I also couldn't fit in the 2004 coupe, and had less problems in the spyder.

996 GT3 is traded in for the R8...I can't wait till I can pick it up! Already have a trip planned to Monaco-Cannes-Maranello in the R8 next year!

This is the R8 I've bought:

http://spots.autogespot.com/viewimages.php...804112008145259

Audi R8

8000 miles

White/Black

Manual gearbox

Carbon sideblades

Carbon interior

Carbon engine compartment

LED lights engine

Magnetic Ride Suspension

Nav

CD changer

B&O audio

Park assist front-rear

Congrats and enjoy! When you get a few miles under your belt, put up a pic/review thread in our R8 section. :icon_thumleft: