Pokie

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Update for all...

The key came from Russell a few days ago. I made a two part silicon mold of it and did a liquid plastic injection. So now I have the OEM key (Russell's) and a 100% exact solid plastic, non functioning, clone key. I will be prototyping the carbon cover off of the plastic key I made so that I don't damage the OEM piece. Once I have it all dialed in and detailed, I will be test fitting it onto the OEM key so all of you can see how it fits and functions.

The "Lamborghini" 8 inch (Gallardo and Murcielago) rear Script arrived today from Emilio. I will be making a silicon mold of that in the next day or two, then inject it with plastic, and make any slight modifications that are needed, then make the final tooling so that I can produce the carbon pieces that you are all anxious to get a hold of.

Everything is moving forward very well in the shop, please feel free to send me a PM if any of you have any questions. I'll give another update once some more progress is made.

Best regards,

-Cameron

Script:

Jeff SD

Pokie

MnM

MnM

Infamous

VCR

Som333

09-LP560

Yellomurci (maybe)

Evscb

Carnut1

Rghataode

First

Pos0513

JRox

roncfpz

norcal2

Benkei

LemDog

JoeDirt (maybe)

PCJR

Johnfromjersey

Key Cover:

Jeff SD

Pokie

ATL

Som333

09-LP560

Yellomurci

DoctaM3

Evsc (maybe)

Carnut1

Rghatode

First

Pos0513 (maybe)

sprite

Front "Bull" Emblem:

First

MnM

Som333

Pos0513

FrankieFred

roncfpz

norcal2

Benkei

rghataode

rghataode (maybe second one)

Interior Air Vents:

Jeff SD

roncfpz

LemDog (maybe)

sprite

PCJR

• 3 weeks later...

Jeff,

Thank you for following up with this... as it stands, the project is moving forward very well. I was away for the past few days on business and had the guys in the shop working on other panels, so unfortunately the script didn't get touched, but now I have returned, so all is well.

In regards to the rear script:

I have taken a silicon mold of it and have made a duplicate by injecting the silicon with liquid plastic. The process and techniques are flawless, but I am not satisfied with the end results. Although many probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference... I am going to take the time to change a couple of details.

In regards to the front emblem:

I designed how I am going to make it and how I will pull the looks together. It is going to be carbon fiber and 23k gold. I currently do not have an emblem to work off of, so if there are any Lamborghini dealer parts reps here that can get the discounted dealer pricing for me, please send me a PM.

In regards to the Key FOB:

Russell was very generous in sending me his spare LP640 key fob. I made a silicon mold of that key and then injected it with liquid plastic. I like how the silicon captures the details so that I have a duplicate of the original key to work off of. I made a couple of "trial" covers but those made their way into the trash container. The key may have to wait a little longer as I draw up different designs. I will keep you all posted.

Thanks again to all of you for your interest, I am hoping to turn out a couple of prototype pieces for your viewing pleasures and then get these scripts sent off to all those interested.

Best regards,

-Cameron

Script:

Jeff SD

Pokie

MnM

MnM

Infamous

VCR

Som333

09-LP560

Yellomurci (maybe)

Evscb

Carnut1

Rghataode

First

Pos0513

JRox

roncfpz

norcal2

Benkei

LemDog

JoeDirt (maybe)

PCJR

Johnfromjersey

Qatari

Key Cover:

Jeff SD

Pokie

ATL

Som333

09-LP560

Yellomurci

DoctaM3

Evsc (maybe)

Carnut1

Rghatode

First

Pos0513 (maybe)

sprite

Qatari

Front "Bull" Emblem:

First

MnM

Som333

Pos0513

FrankieFred

roncfpz

norcal2

Benkei

rghataode

rghataode (maybe second one)

Qatari

Interior Air Vents:

Jeff SD

roncfpz

LemDog (maybe)

sprite

PCJR

• 4 months later...
What happened with this project?

Not sure, but coincidentally I sent an email yesterday requesting the return of my key.

Russell

To all:

The carbon Lambo script proved to not be time or cost effective. The exact carbon reproduction looked alright, but the depth of the factory letters allowed for too much distortion, to the point that you couldn't really tell it was carbon. I then produced another cast copy of the script and milled down the backside to make it thinner... this in turn was a better finish, but it was too thin and not strong enough. In the end, I had to come to the realization that the prototyping costs involved thus far exceeded the potential profits, so the project was laid to rest. Emilio is being reimbursed for the cost of the script.

The key FOB had a similar outcome. I made a duplicate of the key and began prototyping from all of the emails you guys were sending. I tried making the carbon in two pieces that would clip on to the rim of the key... the problem with that however was that there wasn't a suffecient surface for the carbon to clip onto. I then made a one piece design that would slide over the the entire key FOB, but then once it was all trimmed so that the key would still function, all is the curved strength had been removed, causing the end user to have to use an adhesive to bond the carbon piece on, which defeated the purpose of a slip on cover, not to mention what you would have to go through if the battery went dead. The key is being returned back to Russell.

I can now better understand why these smaller items usually don't come in carbon, and also why they look cheap when produced. I just don't feel comfortable putting my name behind a product that I know is going to break. Larger panels, engine trims, interior components... no problem, but these tiny detailed pieces just aren't cost effective to manufacture.

To all:

The carbon Lambo script proved to not be time or cost effective. The exact carbon reproduction looked alright, but the depth of the factory letters allowed for too much distortion, to the point that you couldn't really tell it was carbon. I then produced another cast copy of the script and milled down the backside to make it thinner... this in turn was a better finish, but it was too thin and not strong enough. In the end, I had to come to the realization that the prototyping costs involved thus far exceeded the potential profits, so the project was laid to rest. Emilio is being reimbursed for the cost of the script.

The key FOB had a similar outcome. I made a duplicate of the key and began prototyping from all of the emails you guys were sending. I tried making the carbon in two pieces that would clip on to the rim of the key... the problem with that however was that there wasn't a suffecient surface for the carbon to clip onto. I then made a one piece design that would slide over the the entire key FOB, but then once it was all trimmed so that the key would still function, all is the curved strength had been removed, causing the end user to have to use an adhesive to bond the carbon piece on, which defeated the purpose of a slip on cover, not to mention what you would have to go through if the battery went dead. The key is being returned back to Russell.

I can now better understand why these smaller items usually don't come in carbon, and also why they look cheap when produced. I just don't feel comfortable putting my name behind a product that I know is going to break. Larger panels, engine trims, interior components... no problem, but these tiny detailed pieces just aren't cost effective to manufacture.

Bummer