Which desktop is best for pc gaming?

murcivu

Until I can pick up my Diablo in a month or so, I'm trying to find some pc games to hold me over. I love flight simulation games. Can anyone point me in the right direction for which desktop console is the "best buy" for pc gaming? I'm really not computer savvy. TIA.

Guest skokos
Thx. Looks pretty cool. How much are we talking about $?

That one is top of the line up. with the 3 screens it was like $3,600. Just the tower is (and dont hold me to this) maybe $2700.

If your running just one screen you wouldnt need the dual video cards and could go with a cheaper unit.

They also have a LIFETIME guarantee on there parts and labor!! if it ever breaks you ship it in,they fix the part and ship it back!! Never any added cost after the original purchase

Guest skokos

Can any of you computer geeks tell me what this means :) it has to do with this system

5774_107627163811_574778811_2107260_4830546_n.jpg

That's just showing how much of your ram memory you are using as well as how much your processors are working.

Probably a dual quad machine.

If you honestly want a gaming machine, i'd rather make one, than buy a brand name. Customize it and optimize it yourself. I built one sometime last year and still haven't had any issues thus far. I'm wishing I had gone quad core though. But if you REALLY want to get into a machine, custom is great.

If you honestly want a gaming machine, i'd rather make one, than buy a brand name. Customize it and optimize it yourself. I built one sometime last year and still haven't had any issues thus far. I'm wishing I had gone quad core though. But if you REALLY want to get into a machine, custom is great.

Yeah, my friends pretty much just build their computers from the ground up. The dual quad core (or quad duo core but that'd just be dumb) is a pretty mean machine. I can't believe how fast technology has gotten and how fast new stuff is coming out. 128GB USB keys, 8 gig ram sticks...it's just nuts now.

He ends his post with " I'm really not computer savvy." So I am not sure building his own is the best idea. I mean yes they are better systems but its a lot of work and know how to get it done.

Guest skokos

lol

It means the new i7 Processor shows the hyper-threading feature as 8 separate cores (4 physical cores * 2 threads per core), and that it has 12 GB of ram, its using triple channel... so 3x4GB. This stuff was unheard of a few years back.

lol

It means the new i7 Processor shows the hyper-threading feature as 8 separate cores (4 physical cores * 2 threads per core), and that it has 12 GB of ram, its using triple channel... so 3x4GB. This stuff was unheard of a few years back.

a few years back?

Before last september. all of this was unheard of.

Quad cores never had hyperthreading.

4GB of ram was considered plenty even by enthusiasts

Tripple channel wasn't even predicted really

To the OP, I know you aren't computer savy but here's a couple tips about buying a gaming system.

Stay away from AMD processors. There is nothing really wrong with them, but even the top AMD chips can't beat the mid grade Intel chips at most tasks

Unless you plan on playing games on a 30" monitor, anything more than 6GB of ram is actually not worth it. Or if you do photo/video editing.

Right now, the best video cards available come from nVidia. The GTX series are the high end cards.

A GTX275 is probably an awesome card for most anyone. (unless gaming on a 30" screen)

You do not need to spent multiple thousands to have a capable gaming system. The key is that it needs a good video card.

My best suggestiong to you is, go to a local computer store and request they build you a computer with the following:

Intel Core i5 - 750

4GB DDR3-2000 (corsair, ocz, mushkin, patriot are all good brands)

An EVGA or BFG Geforce GTX275

a 1TB Hard drive

DVD burner

650W or more power supply. stick with Antec, OCZ, or the best; PC Power & Cooling

Windows Vista (make sure you get 64bit or 3GB of ram is your max)

you'll also need a case with good cooling. I highly recomend Antec for this. you can often get a case/power supply combo

A setup like this will absolutely rock any game available on a screen as large as 27" wide. And for a substantially cheaper price than any of the "professionally built" computers from Falcon Northwest, Alienware, Ibuypower, or any of the other boutique brand PCs. I'd think you would be able to do that for around 1000 bucks or less.

These companies don't build their own hardware, they just take what you could buy from the store, assemble it in a pretty package and charge you double or more.