Clutch Life

mikestyle

Hi im new here, and im currently looking at a g-car, the clutches seem to go quite fast on these cars, is there a reason behind this? I understand there is a lot of power and 4-wheel drive however i just don't understand why they go so quick, has anyone used the clutch until it started slipping? or just replace it when the dealer tells you?

Thanks

Hi im new here, and im currently looking at a g-car, the clutches seem to go quite fast on these cars, is there a reason behind this? I understand there is a lot of power and 4-wheel drive however i just don't understand why they go so quick, has anyone used the clutch until it started slipping? or just replace it when the dealer tells you?

Thanks

MYTH.......

MYTH.......

:iamwithstupid:

I have 17.5 miles on mine and it is still rock solid. Depends how you drive it.

On the E gear cars, the dealer can check how much life is left in the clutch, that feature is not available on the manuals.

:iamwithstupid:

I have 17.5 miles on mine and it is still rock solid. Depends how you drive it.

On the E gear cars, the dealer can check how much life is left in the clutch, that feature is not available on the manuals.

27K miles on my 04 egear- 60%+ still left on the clutch when they did the PIS. Clutch-cookin' is a myth in my opinion. It's all about how you drive it.

If you think about it Gallardos don't make that much torque relative to a turbo charged engine. The earlier cars only make around 380 ft pounds of torque which these days isn't that much.

My old 01 996tt when it was stock was putting out 420 ft pounds of torque. Torque is what tears up clutches, well that and bad driving.

Get a manual 6spd, drive it properly...that will alleviate some of the variables associated with the E-gear; there are guys on here who report 4Xk miles on their original clutches (06+, most often, as the earlier tended to have weaker clutches).

Thanks for the info guys, i though something didn't seem right, isn't it ironic that lambo started building cars in-spite of f-cars and their bad clutches.

Also launching the car eats up the clutch and driving it in Auto mode.

don't wanna drive it in auto, def sport, slow shifts eat clutch more then fast ones

No myth for earlier cars. These cars had defective clutches. Lambo did not know how to make clutches back then.

Anything before maybe D clutch are crap. Most if not all 04's had defective clutches replaced under secret warranty. The replacements were not much better. Some guys got a 1000 miles on these early clutches.

The latest e-gear version, the F clutch is much more dependable, should last 25K miles, but ONLY if you baby the car in most cases.

Budget $0.50 per mile for cost of clutch. That is the price you have to pay to drive a Lambo....

No myth for earlier cars. These cars had defective clutches. Lambo did not know how to make clutches back then.

Anything before maybe D clutch are crap. Most if not all 04's had defective clutches replaced under secret warranty. The replacements were not much better. Some guys got a 1000 miles on these early clutches.

The latest e-gear version, the F clutch is much more dependable, should last 25K miles, but ONLY if you baby the car in most cases.

Budget $0.50 per mile for cost of clutch. That is the price you have to pay to drive a Lambo....

more than twice the fuel cost...

A clutch replacement is around 4k, so budget a lot less...

Newer member/owners check out this thread/survey on clutch life and feel free to update.

http://www.lambopower.com/forum/index.php?...;hl=clutch+life

A clutch replacement is around 4k, so budget a lot less...

Where can you get an OEM clutch replaced for $4K? Did you ACTUALLY get it done for this much, all in?

You forget to add labor. The clutch itself is about $4K if not mistaken. Then add the throw-out bearing. Add 16 hours labor, and you are pushing $7K. That is the average price reported by members on various Lambo forums.

My dealer charges about $8K Canadian, which is about $7K USD on a good USD day. Right in line with all the others in the USA.

To be on the safe side, budget $0.50 per mile for clutch wear, since you will likely not get full clutch life. ie. you will replace it before it is fully worn.

A little on the conservative side, but my calculation stands.

Where can you get an OEM clutch replaced for $4K? Did you ACTUALLY get it done for this much, all in?

A little on the conservative side, but my calculation stands.

Nope, my clutch is fine. A dealer will charge more, but I was quoted 4k installed, a couple of years ago when I upgraded to a twin turbo set up. Also, I understand the factory has recently increased the price of spare parts, so I could be off.

I would disagree with that statement. I drive the heck out my car when I drive it and I am at about 11k miles and the reading on the clutch still has it at over 90% and I have done 3 'launches' (an 08 car)

O6 and up cars do not wear clutch as bad as 04/05. The shorter gear ratios help the car take off with less clutch wear. So even when a 04 has a updated clutch still wont last as long as a 06. Launches do not wear the clutch that bad sice the clutch is engaged very fast and the tires spin clutch dose not slip. But stopping on hill and drive ways are a clutch killer.

Technical Advisor said the LP560 E-Gear Clutch should be good for 30.000km in normal street usage. If you are bringing the car to the track often, it should die after 5000km.

What will kill a G clutch is:

1. Accelerating up a hill from a stop, if you feather the gas. So boot it!

2. Rolling backwards on a hill while in first. This will literally smoke your clutch and you will smell the burn.

3. Reverse gear, especially reversing uphill.

The 560 is factory equipped with the audi hill hold assist system, so there is no rolling back at "high hills". But the system doesn't work for let's say small parking garage ramps. So these can shorten the life of the clutch very hard.

I have been told that when the car is performing the warm up sequence for the first 30 seconds after starting the engine (while the airpumps are blowing) the clutch is opening and closing all the time. It's not good to start driving at all while this is happening.

I have been told that when the car is performing the warm up sequence for the first 30 seconds after starting the engine (while the airpumps are blowing) the clutch is opening and closing all the time. It's not good to start driving at all while this is happening.

Pardon my ignorance, but can you tell us what are these "airpumps" that operate the clutch are? What do they do? I though it was a hydraulic system, not air in both the manual and e-gear, but I am not familiar with the clutch system in these cars....

Pardon my ignorance, but can you tell us what are these "airpumps" that operate the clutch are? What do they do? I though it was a hydraulic system, not air in both the manual and e-gear, but I am not familiar with the clutch system in these cars....

i think the airpumps he was referring to were the secondary airpumps used to aid in heating the cats for emissions...

the e-gear system is hydraulic

tim

Right.

I was talking about the air pumps, which help the engine "breathe" when you are starting up the car. (first 30 seconds after engine start).

They have nothing to do with the clutch itself. Only in this warm up sequence, the clutch seems to open and close several times.

I was told not to move the car, until the air pumps stop pumping and the exhaust valves close. After this, you are good to go.