Who here is into sailing? Ablofaz?

DickSimmons

I'm interested in learning to sail and want some advice on how to go about it. Mind you I've never sailed before and could possibly not like it, it's something I've wanted to try. Should I like it, it would be my goal to continue with it.

One thing I should say. I want to sail a boat with sails. I don't want to learn to pilot a big yacht with a big motor. This doesn't mean I want to sail some dinky little boat with a tiny tarp, but rather a decent sized boat with a cabin and a couple decent sized sails. I should also mention that my goal is to sail my own boat, but not to be a professional sailor so to say. I have no dreams (thus far at least) of being part of a big crew or racing. Just to be able to own a sail boat and sail in and out of nice islands and stuff with a friend or two (Greece, Asia, etc.)

Also, what are the costs of operating a sail boat vs a big yacht with big, expensive engines and thirst for gas?

If what I'm saying sounds retarded, it's because I'm fairly ignorant of sailing. So please give me some advice.

I'm currently in China and was thinking about learning to sail in Thailand.

I am a quiet participant on this website, but I do know sailing. The best thing to do is buy a book on how to sail so you can understand the basic mechanics. Next, find a local sailing club at a marina. For the most part, they all have "learn to sail" programs to help promote their club. They want people to learn to sail so they will become a member, buy a boat, and rent a slip. Sailing is a great lifestyle with wonderful people.