$290,000 Speeding Ticket

kinnsella

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34752334/ns/wo...news/?GT1=43001

ST. GALLEN, Switzerland - A Swiss court has slapped a wealthy speeder with a chalet-sized fine — a full $290,000.

Judges at the cantonal court in St. Gallen, in eastern Switzerland, based the record-breaking fine on the speeder's estimated wealth of more than $20 million.

A statement on the court's Web site says the driver — a repeat offender — drove up to 35 miles an hour faster than the 50-mile-an-hour limit.

Court clerk Heidi Baumann-Becker said Thursday the unidentified driver can appeal the decision, handed down in November, to the Swiss supreme court.

The Blick daily newspaper in Zurich reported the fine was more than twice the previous Swiss record of about $107,000.

great extra money to train their police to lean how to perform high speed driving skills, Nearly was in a head on crash where a Swiss Police in his Volvo estate answering a call, the cop passed a car on a blind corner and nearly collided head on into me on the 2 way rd I was driving, I swerved and I was very lucky. I have many extra stories from my contacts in Switzerland involving the police.

great extra money to train their police to lean how to perform high speed driving skills, Nearly was in a head on crash where a Swiss Police in his Volvo estate answering a call, the cop passed a car on a blind corner and nearly collided head on into me on the 2 way rd I was driving, I swerved and I was very lucky. I have many extra stories from my contacts in Switzerland involving the police.

I live in Switzerland and this has almost happened to me too. Idiot came round a blind bend on the wrong side of the road.

I thought the swiss had more sense than that, obviously they don't, a country that survives on managing wealth has such idiotic Neanderthal law, people are obsessed with screwing the wealthy which seems very stupid to me since it is not very smart or healthy to bite the hand that feeds you!

It is often said that Switzerland is a country with 7 million policemen/women, the point being they don't view the law in the way you do. Overtaking somebody at excessive speed may well get you reported, they don't mean anything personal it is just the way it is. Society here generally works, in an orderly if somewhat conformist manner. You can drive enthusiastically on the many empty-ish mountain passes but it doesn't make sense to over do it. Ever.

I live in Switzerland and this has almost happened to me too. Idiot came round a blind bend on the wrong side of the road.

Seems to happen a lot there, people don't yield for faster traffic ?

I can tell you this 1st hand when I use to be a driver for BMW AG R&D, the stuff my co-workers/piers in Munich would tell me about and the driving I have experience 1st hand. Driving is easy but going all out is another thing. BWM was like motorsports boot camp for me.

Crash a car = ur fired

late for work = wash all of the rims on the R&D cars

speeding ticket = wash the cars in the work shop

write the wrong info in the log books = work on Saturday

It is often said that Switzerland is a country with 7 million policemen/women, the point being they don't view the law in the way you do. Overtaking somebody at excessive speed may well get you reported, they don't mean anything personal it is just the way it is. Society here generally works, in an orderly if somewhat conformist manner. You can drive enthusiastically on the many empty-ish mountain passes but it doesn't make sense to over do it. Ever.

what happens if you speeding there and you aren't a citizen?

That's more likely my scenario I will never be a Swiss citizen but I am intending to do some speeding on their twisty mountain roads :icon_mrgreen:

What if you worth is in the red will they give you money?

what happens if you speeding there and you aren't a citizen?

They take the not unreasonable line "you want to come to our country obey our laws, if you don't like that don't come"

Relatively minor infringements of speed limits would mean smaller fixed fines, IIRC they only become income/asset related when you're pushing on quite a bit. On mountain passes where the "unrestricted" limit is 80km/h then I personally wouldn't drive above 100 or so and even then only on short clear stretches (Police have been known to sit at the summits of passes, looking down on drivers threading their way up). You can't do 80 round a hairpin in a road car anyway :)

These big fines you see in the headlines are also due to people being persistent offenders.