Have any of you used or heard of BG Products, Inc?

Tim CT

Hey everyone,

I was recently introduced to BG Products (www.bgprod.com) - as there is no reference within Africa, I thought I would ask the forum to see if I can get some feedback.

Their products are automotive fuel "cleaning" liquids for diesel and gas, as well as some flushing system for automatic transmissions. The promised benefits are:

- improved fuel economy

- reduced maintenance

- increased engine life span

- etc.....

I want to know, is this too good to be true, or can any of you vouch based on experience/word-of-mouth that BG sells great products?

Thanks in advance,

Tim

They must not have "mythbusters" in South Africa?

Today on Mythbusters, Africa: "Snow; are they just pulling our chains?" :icon_mrgreen:

I've been privy to many of those additive product proprietary business plans- the model is actually quite compact and lucrative. The problem is that almost none of them will submit their products to independent scrutiny. Therefore the claims they make exist without response. The consumers say good things, more people buy it. It's like MLM.

The one product (not company) that has a lot of promise are these ceramic immersion products that cure at a lower temperature. They aren't cost effective for most consumer applications, but industry users can see a finite ROI. The problem with the ceramics are that they have to be stable as a liquid, build friction and heat up fast enough to penetrate metal, cool evenly and then not ever get back to that level of friction again to break it down. Not simple at a low cost. Toyota is spending a ton of money on ceramic technology without a real application yet. If Toyota can't do it...

Any product that enters through the fuel tank is suspect. If it can snake it's way through the injector system without clogging it, it probably doesn't have the ability to do much good. (Just my opinion, some chemist will surely call me out)

BG is the shortened version of Barry Grant. Grant used to build carbs for Pro Stock cars, but most people have strayed away from him. Demon Carburetors is actually owned by Grant as well, so he's probably taking the money he has made from those companies and looking for a new money maker based on his name. I wouldn't put too much faith in the miracle in a bottle gag, these products come and go all the time.