Leaking rear view mirror - need to retrofit it.

carbuff

Need your help guys!

04 gallardo - with the auto-dimming liquid-filled mirror. Started to leak.

Apparently this is a common problem with the Gallardo mirrors that are liquid filled with that corrosive acid. That is why on later years, they replaced these with non-auto dimming mirrors, that have a little tab that you pull on for night mode.

I need to replace ours with this OEM non-auto dimming mirror ASAP!

I looked the existing mirror, and I can not figure out how to disengage it from the windshield. I managed to remove the little black plastic cover that hides the wiring connector to the mirror. That's all.

What are the exact steps to removing this mirror from the windshield?

Never changed a mirror before. Does it have a set-screw, is it glued on, or what? I can not see any clues by closely looking at the mirror stem/mount.

Also, I do not know if the mount for the non-auto dimming mirror is the same as that for the old mirror? i.e. can I use the same mount, and just replace the mirror, or do I need a new mount also of some sort?

Please help.

Need to remove it ASAP, as right now the mirror is plastic bagged and out of service. Thanks.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By "wheeling it" I meant driving it. No problem. I think I may have figured out how to remove the mirror. I think it spins off the stalk counterclockwise. Can anyone confirm this?

Mirror has been spun 1/2 turn anticlockwise and then it pops off the window mount, which stays attached to the glass. Stiff as hell to rotate, but done with much persuasion.....

• 4 months later...
Mirror has been spun 1/2 turn anticlockwise and then it pops off the window mount, which stays attached to the glass. Stiff as hell to rotate, but done with much persuasion.....

Once you remove the mirror from the mirror mount, what the next step in removing the mirror/electrical connection from the mirror mount? Help!!

IMAGE_050.jpg

I don't think you needed to remove the mirror from the base. I don't think there is rocket science to the connection...I'd try some small pliers and pull it apart.

Where is Houston are you...don't think I have seen your car.

I don't think you needed to remove the mirror from the base. I don't think there is rocket science to the connection...I'd try some small pliers and pull it apart.

Where is Houston are you...don't think I have seen your car.

I live near 59 north and BW8. What part do you live in? I can disconnect the connector but as you can see by the pic, the connector won't go through the mounting ball hole :(

Galleria area. The mirror and the mount have to come off together. You won't get the connector through the mount. Twist the mount off the window with a counterclockwise turn.

Yikes! Do not try to force the mirror apart and pull wires. It will spew corrosive acid everywhere.

Correct, after disconnecting the connector, you remove the mirror + the mount. It is all one assembly, and does not come apart. The new mirror comes with a mount. The only thing that stays is the male part of the mount which is glued to the windshield.

I am now officially paranoid!...my mirror is ok currently, but should I prophylactically replace it with the non-dimming mirror?...is this what most people do?

And what is the part number for the non-dimming mirror?...is it really the same as on the A4? Anyone know?

Yes, you should replace it. And no, most people are too lazy to do it, until it spews acid all over their console and eats it.

Correct part # is only 8d0857511a from please check with our franchised lamborghini dealer sponsors.com or anyone else.

Should be available from your VW dealer, but theirs is 3x the price of the Lambo version. Go figure....Usually they are 3x cheaper.

"Apparently this is a common problem with the Gallardo mirrors that are liquid filled with that corrosive acid. That is why on later years, they replaced these with non-auto dimming mirrors, that have a little tab that you pull on for night mode."

Just a pointer - all the models came with non-auto dimming standard and with the option of auto dimming mirrors. CarBuff - You are also right; allot of times people think that just because the part is either from Audi or VW it should be cheaper when at the factory Lambo part is cheaper.

Just a pointer - all the models came with non-auto dimming standard and with the option of auto dimming mirrors.

Not correct.

Maybe in some parts of the world, but not in Canada. And maybe not in USA either (although someone may wish to confirm that, as some options between Canada and USA spec cars differ.)

In Canada, auto-dimming mirrors were STANDARD in the early years, until the factory replaced them with non-auto dimming mirrors on later years. (when they realized that they do not work to begin with, and later leak in hot climates).

Yes, you should replace it. And no, most people are too lazy to do it, until it spews acid all over their console and eats it.

Correct part # is only 8d0857511a from please check with our franchised lamborghini dealer sponsors.com or anyone else.

Should be available from your VW dealer, but theirs is 3x the price of the Lambo version. Go figure....Usually they are 3x cheaper.

Thanks! I went ahead and ordered the Lamborghini OEM non-dimming mirror (part number: 8D0857511A, REAR VIEW MIRROR)...only $38.12!

Thanks! I went ahead and ordered the Lamborghini OEM non-dimming mirror (part number: 8D0857511A, REAR VIEW MIRROR)...only $38.12!

Thanks for the part number, it was very hot today and when I got in the Gallardo my mirror was leaking. I did take the mirror apart and it is two pieces of glass glued togeather with the fluid inbetween. There is no way to get the fluid out with out breaking the glass (I know lol). I ordered the new one from lambo stuff with that part number, thanks. Funny that I was just reading this thread last week then it happens to me. lol

• 4 weeks later...
By "wheeling it" I meant driving it. No problem. I think I may have figured out how to remove the mirror. I think it spins off the stalk counterclockwise. Can anyone confirm this?

I have an 04 G and had the same problem Bought a new one (with manual flip switch) and installed.

Pry off the little plastic cover on the mounting horn. Then, CAREFULLY, turn the old mirrow mount counterclockwise. It will turn about 90 deg and then fall off. Install the new one by turning it clockwise. Take the old wires and tape the end and shove them up into the headliner.

• 2 weeks later...
I have an 04 G and had the same problem Bought a new one (with manual flip switch) and installed.

Pry off the little plastic cover on the mounting horn. Then, CAREFULLY, turn the old mirrow mount counterclockwise. It will turn about 90 deg and then fall off. Install the new one by turning it clockwise. Take the old wires and tape the end and shove them up into the headliner.

Wow this must be happening alot with this hot weather, because it happen to me last night.

This is what the liquid inside does to the ac controls :crybaby2:

So not only am i looking for a mirror now controls also :crybaby2:

post-9014-1280575207_thumb.jpg

I cant believe it! This just happened to me too!!WTF?? Went to pick up my car from the detailer, looking awesome...totally stoked.., go to leave and my controls are bubbling like the pic above. Wasnt even hot in my car at all. Detailer is looking at me like "I didnt do it"...it only took an hour or so for it to peel the plastic away. I need mirro and plastic too...... :eusa_wall: :eusa_wall: :eusa_wall: :crybaby2:

Sooner or later they will all do it. Lambo went away from the liquid filled mirrors for a reason.

So listen up boys, time to change your rearview mirror. NOW!! Or risk the outcome shown in the photos (sorry to see that Zapper, I am telling Rhyno what you did to his beloved car...).

L-a-m-b-o stuff.com is where to go for it. Do it today!

Sooner or later they will all do it. Lambo went away from the liquid filled mirrors for a reason.

So listen up boys, time to change your rearview mirror. NOW!! Or risk the outcome shown in the photos (sorry to see that Zapper, I am telling Rhyno what you did to his beloved car...).

L-a-m-b-o stuff.com is where to go for it. Do it today!

Dont tell him, he will be mad hahahaha!

Audi parts by the sound of it.

Phil, I'm glad to see you have the TTG back on the road. That's really shitty about the mirror leaking! Don't worry I'm not upset because I know you will fix it and she will be better then new. Is that Eb's Gallardo for sale at ZR?