Clutch Rod

huntnphool

I'm just curious how many other Diablo owners have had a clutch rod snap while out having a drive? It has happened to me twice in the past 7 or so years.

I'm just curious how many other Diablo owners have had a clutch rod snap while out having a drive? It has happened to me twice in the past 7 or so years.

I think it's a common issue. There is a fix out there with an aftermarket rod that is stronger than stock.

Good poll question, I haven't had one break yet on either car but not that many miles. It'll probably do it on a vacant road 100 miles from home.

Has anyone installed one of the aftermarket pieces and what is your opinion?

I put the aftermarket one on my SV before taking delivery, why risk it? There is known issue with the stock unit. No issues, no regrets.

-J

Right on jtse30, thanks you for the reply. Nothing worse than fixing something with "the solution" only to find out it doesn't live up to the hype.

• 7 months later...

Mine broke on my 98 SV several months after I owned it (around Sept 2009). I replaced it with a "Custer Rod," which I can now officially say is a royal ripoff. Custer wants $450 for it, but I've had two machinists independently price them at $75-125.

Stock rod, stock problems. That thing is a POS any way you slice it. I have seen plenty of them break. I have even seen new ones break right after they were installed.

Oh man. I don't understand the engineering that went into that piece. I had told a customer that his car was done after some other repairs, then while moving it out of the shop it broke and I had to call him back to tell him it was no longer driveable and no one had one in stock so I had to wait a week and a half for the donkey to finish delivering it. I an going to look into that aftermarket one to see if it may be something my clients may have interest in.

Mine broke on my 98 SV several months after I owned it (around Sept 2009). I replaced it with a "Custer Rod," which I can now officially say is a royal ripoff. Custer wants $450 for it, but I've had two machinists independently price them at $75-125.

Dear Lamborghinisti,

Well....I paid the $ 450.00 for the Custer rod and I'm very happy with it. It's very well made and has solved the snapping clutch rod issue once and for all. Mine went out on my way to a Ferrari house party.....sooo bummed. I had the car in concours condition and was going to make all those Ferraris' tuck their tails between their legs. Well....the joke was on me. I was literally just out of my subdivision when I lost clutch control. I was in second gear...swung a 180 degree turn on the road and got back to the house....with no stops...whew.

I've had the rod for about 2 years now...no issues, no rubbing....just perfect. I bought mine from Jamie at L S

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice !