leather covered interior panel, anyone know of a good shop?

Andrew R.

Without any luck on my own of pulling the corner of the leather back over the panel... I think its time to send it to someone to fix it right.

Anyone know of a good shop to send this out to?

Anyone else had this problem?

Thanks guys.

Andrew I can't view your pix because my PC is giving me a security alert on your gif file... anybody else having that problem?

What panel are you talking about, the one by the rear window?

I have no idea why it is doing that..something to do with the site's security certificate.. just click yes to proceed for now until I get it figured out, its just a JPEG .. you arent entering a credit card number or anything...

It's actually easy to cover this panel by yourself. All you need is some leather (I had to buy a whole cow hide) I sent the leather to leatherique to get a color/sheen match, some glue and some foam. You could do the whole thing in less than one hour.

dave :idea:

Andrew, How did you get that panel out? Is it simply glued in place? I need to make a simular repair to mine.

Actually I'm going to wait till fall because with the pass seat all the way back it's impossible to see :)

Thanks.

Taking the panel out wasnt too bad because I had the wheel well taken apart already to work on the battery area; otherwise it will be just a little more to do.

Anyways, there are two studs that hold the heatshield up that I am pointing at with the screwdriver.. the outside one is spotwelded to the car while the one on the side closer to the engine is welded to the panel and is what holds the panel down. Take that locking nut off carefully (you might spray with some rustbreaker and clean with a wire brush if the threads arent clean). Passenger side looks just the opposite from a quick look at it, just remove the nut from the stud on the engine side.

If the panel doesnt lift right up, you might tap below on the stud to help break it loose, there was a little rust around where the stud went through.

panel.JPG

Sorry about the security warning.. I dont have it fixed yet.. its only a jpeg though