Custom LED Lights on Gallardo

Liquid

This mod will not be for everyone and I am sure there are purists that will not approve. On the other hand, I also know there was some interest in doing something like this a long time ago, but do not believe anyone ever took the leap.

On my previous car, I had a company called clearcorners.com do an LED conversion on my headlights and sidemarkers. I was happy with the results, but not as happy with the turnaround time required. This time, I had a local (Dallas) company (Jotech Motorsports) who is also in this business help me out and had my lights back in a week. My car was already down at the body shop for the 560 bumper so it was a fairly easy and painelss ordeal.

On my last car, the LEDs were hidden by a clear deflector. Although slightly more visually appealing when off, it had to be dark or at least dusk to see them. On the Gallardo lights, I can turn the white LEDs on in full sun and they are as visible as the Audi lights. All the lights (except the sidemarkers) are run off of an independent switch so I can run any combination I like. They are not tied to the headlights, so they can be on and will remain on, even when the car is off. Unless I turn the switch off, of course.

The red light/ evil eye was done by mounting red LEDs inside the HID projector lens. This light is not very visible during the day and really only a novelty for late night parking lot entertainment.

I had the chrome bezels of the turn signal and HID lens painted flat black, but left the matte metallic silver portions OEM. I also had them remove the amber turn signal cover and replace it with a clear deflector. I am not a fan of orange reflectors on cars. The light behind the blinker still blinks orange and is perfectly legal.

If anyone is interested in the lights, or some variation of what I have, let me know. I can put you in touch with the shop and they can help you out. They are providing a 1 year warranty on the lights, switches, etc in case there were any issues. Compared to what I paid for my last conversion, it was very reasonable. I hope you enjoy!

Lights_Off.jpg

Lights_Front_View.JPG

Lights_Side.JPG

Lights_Ring.JPG

Lights_Side___Ring.JPG

Lights_Evil_Eye.JPG

Lights_Sidemarkers_2.JPG

I had the switch mounted in the cubby on the left side of the steering wheel on a carbon fiber plate. With the door closed, you would not even know it was there. Here is a pic.

And a link to the youtube video of the lights shot at the shop.

Lights_Switch_CF.jpg

I assume most will love them or hate them. To each, their own. I love them. Especially the side LED strip. It definitely makes the car "unique" which is what I was going for. The total cost, including the switch, wiring harnesses, etc. was $2500 + install. When they are off, most would have a hard time even knowing they are there. I can be discrete with them or be flashy. It is nice to have a mod like that. Things like wings are stuck to the car. No chance to really take them off when you want to go for a different look.

On a separate note, thanks to Hershel at RSC for the bumper. Top notch quality and service. It completely transformed the car. I will get some good pics with it on and post them later. If you have a Gallardo without this bumper, it is worth every penny.

Because the red LEDs draw almost no current, I can leave them on for days with no issues. It is more subtle than the "in your face" white LEDs, but also conveys a mean message. I think they would be right at home on a black TT Lambo.

I really like it! Very nice! How hard was it to get your front lens assembly apart and what did they use to reseal it? I would love to re-do many features on the inside of mine.

Thanks for the compliments!

Anyone who is interested in doing their lights can speak to Tony.

In regards to taking them apart, I have not had either company who has done my lights give away their "secret", but there are several DIY threads on other forums (BMW, Lexus, etc). The trick is to get them hot enough to melt the seal and pry them apart. It sounds easy, but is actually pretty difficult. I did it myself once before and will never do it again. You really need 2 people and a couple of pairs of good gloves that will not transfer heat. Getting them back together is even harder because the sealant dries and it is difficult to make it soft enough to work with again. A heat gun (and time) is what I believe the pros use.

There is a good reason why most people do not do this and why getting a warranty on it is important. If the seal is not perfect you can end up with condenstion in your lights which will haze the inside. I will let you know if I have any of these problems. If you want something special done, each set is custom. They can pretty much do whatever you want.

Thanks for the compliments!

Anyone who is interested in doing their lights can speak to Tony.

In regards to taking them apart, I have not had either company who has done my lights give away their "secret", but there are several DIY threads on other forums (BMW, Lexus, etc). The trick is to get them hot enough to melt the seal and pry them apart. It sounds easy, but is actually pretty difficult. I did it myself once before and will never do it again. You really need 2 people and a couple of pairs of good gloves that will not transfer heat. Getting them back together is even harder because the sealant dries and it is difficult to make it soft enough to work with again. A heat gun (and time) is what I believe the pros use.

There is a good reason why most people do not do this and why getting a warranty on it is important. If the seal is not perfect you can end up with condenstion in your lights which will haze the inside. I will let you know if I have any of these problems. If you want something special done, each set is custom. They can pretty much do whatever you want.

This is great news. I know how hard it is. A friend of mine assembled lights for Honda and the key is, like you said, getting them to the perfect temp to soften the glue but NOT melt the plastic.

I will let you know if I want to proceed with anything.

• 2 years later...

They are not tied to the headlights, so they can be on and will remain on, even when the car is off. Unless I turn the switch off, of course.

I will stop posting my company link because i'm not a sponsor

They are not tied to the headlights, so they can be on and will remain on, even when the car is off. Unless I turn the switch off, of course.

Thanks for the fast response!!!

I dunno but i think i smell rice on those lights :eusa_think: