Tethering FTW

joebiz

So right now I am tethering my main computer, an iMac27 to my iPhone. My cable internet connection is down and I need an emergency internet connection.

Downtown Palo Alto, 4 bars on the phone.

The connection is really impressive.

I run speedtest.net to the palo alto server

on the iPhone by itself, no tethering in the native browser

1.1 meg down

.3 meg up

on my computer, using the iPhone wireless tethering (PDAnet version 1.61)

2.2 meg down

.5 meg up

I've done it several times now with the same or very close results. Is AT&T restricting bandwidth in the native iPhone browser? That's the only reasonable explanation I can figure.

--joe

Not really sure what you mean. PDANet just turns your phone into a tethered modem, so I presume that if you can network your phone and your iPad that you get the same functionality. Do I misunderstand you?

PDANet also keeps the phone capabilities intact while tethering, so I can be downloading a file to my hard drive while yammering away on the phone with very little -if any-degradation of call quality.

Jailbroken iPhone and iPad

I couldn't get PDAnet to work but miwi works pretty good, make sure you set up an account. I was never an apple fan but I am slowly changing my views. FYI apple products are boring if it isn't jail broken.

All Android 2.1 phones will tether with PDAnet without being rooted/jailbroken. I use my Nexus One to do this regularly

All Android 2.1 phones will tether with PDAnet without being rooted/jailbroken. I use my Nexus One to do this regularly

+1 love my nexus!

Jailbroken iPhone and iPad

I couldn't get PDAnet to work but miwi works pretty good, make sure you set up an account. I was never an apple fan but I am slowly changing my views. FYI apple products are boring if it isn't jail broken.

to get pdanet to work set WIfI in the settings to off.

Also with the HTC Evo 4G that is coming out on Spring beginning of June, you will be able to use it as a high speed wifi hotspot for up to 8 other devices (for an additional charge and if you have 4G in your area). If it proves to be fast and stable enough, it will render home internet obsolete for many people, since you can now have it everywhere with you at good speed.