? for the travel savvy

The Zapper

Last year I flew a Myrtle Beach, SC - Washington DC - Munich, but now I can't find that connection anymore. The individual flights still exist, so why can't I book the same route again? Is it just not being offered anymore? Is it possible to assemble my own route?

And is it still best to book way in advance?

Look around, some airline places dont list all flights as they might get cuts from certain airlines etc. As for when to book, I always book through the week. Its my understanding on the weekends more people would be looking for flights therefore a certain flight maybe have more "hits" or inquiries on the weekend as a result driving prices up. Booking in advance can save you money, but last minute can as well. I booked a trip to Europe last week and am leaving 8/5 amd got a good deal. Hope that makes sense.

You going to Oktoberfest? Just curious as I just booked my flight to Munich.

Don't really want to pay extra, this connection just saves some time as opposed to flying through Atlanta. I usually book Tuesday or Wednesday morning as it seems to be the cheapest time.

No Oktoberfest for me, I hate it. I was born in Munich and lived through it for 19 years. Nothing worse than negotiating puddles of puke and dealing with drunk idiots after a long day at work.

Remeber if you assemble your own route it becomes a non-secured connection, which means that if you bags are lost for a few days you wont get a penny from your travel insurance and the airlines wont help you with connecting flights in case of delays, in worst case you need to buy a new ticket from DC to Munich if MB-DC is delayed so that you dont make the connection.

Regarding when to book, the airfare price system is one of the most effective pricings mechanisns in the world. A few persons booking or a nature thingy reflects on the price almost immediately across the globe.

I asked a travel agent for you :)

The airlines dont offer that routing anymore. Most likely cause they didnt get enough business.

You could book each one separately but you would need to get two tickets and in DC you would need to check out of the one airline with your baggage and then go to a different airline and put your baggage in with them.

This would cost more and end up taking more time.

Bottom line is your better off just going thru Atlanta.