shifting weird!!!!

tonyc

ok fellas, i need some help...It was nice weather this weekend, so i decided to drive my Gallardo all weekend. It is an 04, 6speed, w/ 8500 miles. Just recently iv noticed it is almost impossible to get in reverse while the car is running. If the engine is off 95% of the time it slides right into every gear including reverse nice and easy. It is getting extremely annoying, and kinda embarrasing!!! I also notice when im running the car hard and taking it up close to redline and shifting sometimes it makes a weird sound and doesnt like to go into 5th gear, i feel like i really have to "smash" it into gear, im kinda concerned and didnt know if there is a simple adjustment that needs to be done, or is this a major issue. Thanks

Sounds like the pressure plate is going, and not releasing the clutch disc properly. You could try bleeding the clutch line, too.

I don't believe reverse has syncros.

On the early manual cars we had some issues with the intermediate plates or flywheels warping. This would cause the clutch not to release all the way and drag which make it hard to get into gear. Exp reverse and first. Start with bleeding but chances are the clutch is dragging. With the car running dose it want to move forward when going into first and backward when going into reverse? If so its the clutch dragging.

You may also want to change the transmision fuild to Red Line MTL. Stuff works great. We used this in the manual cars at the dealer. some times we would mix the fuilds.

Could the shifter cable(s) have stretched? I'm thinking the "left-right" cable might affect Reverse and/or 5th-6th before you would notice it in the other gears.

Could the shifter cable(s) have stretched? I'm thinking the "left-right" cable might affect Reverse and/or 5th-6th before you would notice it in the other gears.

I have not had any G that have had stretched cables to the point that it affect shifting. I see G that have up to 50 miles on them and no issues. Not to hard to check and adj. . If you look where the cables connect to the gear box their is a hole in the arms that go to the cables and they should line up with the holes in the gear box housing there is a tool that fits into them but it can be done by sight. If not correct the connector for the cables are easy to adj.. It sound like it is a dragging clutch to me have seen this many times on early cars. If it has not had a clutch then warped and dragging may be the issue.

I have not had any G that have had stretched cables to the point that it affect shifting. I see G that have up to 50 miles on them and no issues. Not to hard to check and adj. . If you look where the cables connect to the gear box their is a hole in the arms that go to the cables and they should line up with the holes in the gear box housing there is a tool that fits into them but it can be done by sight. If not correct the connector for the cables are easy to adj.. It sound like it is a dragging clutch to me have seen this many times on early cars. If it has not had a clutch then warped and dragging may be the issue.

How right you are Jeff. Early clutches had some funny things to them.

As far as a cable problem I have to agree.

Bleed the system, check the alignment of the shifting rod to the transmission case, change gear box fluid, then look at the clutch itself.

Of course you will want to do one thing at a time and check if you feel a change in shifting. of course you have the option to have the right person look at the car and fix the problem as well.