How to disconnect one set of engine cables

FiveCar

With an engine hoist borrowed from huntnphool and much reading of online forums, I'm going to pull the engine out this weekend. So far, almost all electrical connections have been disconnected (and carefully labelled); half the hoses are also done.

However, there are two things that I haven't figured out how to disconnect:

1. the throttle linkage to the engine
  2. a thick set of cables that connect to the engine

How is the throttle linkage cable disconnected? Also, how do I disconnect this cable bundle, located in the rear passenger side of the engine compartment (picture below)?

EngineCable.jpg

Many thanks! I'll post photos once I have the engine out. Here's a teaser:

DSC_0001.JPG

The Throttle cable has a snap fit retainer on the actual metal bracket that fastens the cable to the Throttle linkage, just twist it anti colckwise and then pull the pin out. It's very simple.

The harness, that silver round ring with the nearling on it, twist it anti clockwise and pull, they are quick disconnect fittings. It's also easy tp remove, when you know how :-)

Kudos to you! I disconnected most everything on mine except taking the engine out but without having an engine stand and hoist, I ended up Chadbourn do it. Looking back though, it actually wasn't that bad but it's still a task! Good job

@limey -- thanks for the throttle linkage tip.

I did unscrew the silver part of the big cable, but it doesn't pull apart (easily). In fact, it's not clear at all what the silver part was holding together -- the black plastic appears to be fused together on both sides. Do I need to unscrew the four little black screws?

The inside of the cable has a ton of little wires, so I want to be careful not to randomly pull on it too hard...

The silver thing unscrews, but seems unattached to the black plastic shielding -- it essentially moves freely down the cable once you unscrew it. Is there something else I need to do?

thanks again.

while I admire your trying to do this, I have to ask.........do you know what you are doing?

Sure thing. Previously did a timing belt on an Accord, which required removing the engine mount and a bunch of other stuff. Also talked multiple times with a Lambo tech, as well as a board member that has done it before.

Are you worried? :)

Ok -- update: both the throttle cable and the thick engine wiring removed successfully. The thick wiring didn't disconnect as easily because the silver ring had gotten separated from the underlying black plastic; with @limey's suggestion, I gave it another try and it came right apart.

Every wire and hose is now disconnected. I'll be lifting it out this weekend. Any final tips on tilting the engine out? I believe I need to lift the car a little bit in order to give the tranny enough clearance -- does that sound right?

Thanks again for all the help. This project has actually turned out a lot easier than I expected. About 8 hours in so far, and already prepped to hoist the engine.

loosen the shifter mount on the transmission, it gives you more flexability and clearance with the floor pan, and allows the shifter mechanism to drop down, 4 13mm bolts.

OK, you DID disconnect the wire harness from the trans, DIDN'T you????? There is one hidden on the shifter housing, that controls the reverse lite. Also the wire to the speedo transducer. OH YES the GROUND wire bolted to the bellhousing area.

Chadbourn Bolles

Every wire and hose is now disconnected. I'll be lifting it out this weekend. Any final tips on tilting the engine out? I believe I need to lift the car a little bit in order to give the tranny enough clearance -- does that sound right?

Thanks again for all the help. This project has actually turned out a lot easier than I expected. About 8 hours in so far, and already prepped to hoist the engine.

Five Car- I have to admire you for doing this repair yourself. Do you have a Diablo shop manual?

Once the engine is out, look for oil seepage on the back of the block. Diablos {mainly earlier models} are known for head gasket leaks. The head gaskets has been suoperceeded to a better quality part than the original gaskets. This is also a good time for a valve adjustment. A starter motor rebuild might be something to consider also, because of its lack of access, and a known cause of Diablo fires. Check the flywheel " ring" for missing teeth or signs of excessive wear. Those are some basics, and there are more qualified people than myself on the forum to assist also.

loosen the shifter mount on the transmission, it gives you more flexability and clearance with the floor pan, and allows the shifter mechanism to drop down, 4 13mm bolts.
Thanks, @limey. Awesome tips, as usual.

OK, you DID disconnect the wire harness from the trans, DIDN'T you????? There is one hidden on the shifter housing, that controls the reverse lite. Also the wire to the speedo transducer. OH YES the GROUND wire bolted to the bellhousing area.
Yes, disconnected the shifter housing wires (purple and green), along with the reverse-detection wire I had installed for my reverse camera. Also saw the sneaky speedo transducer, but didn't realize there's a ground wire for the tranny -- I'll look again for that. Thanks for mentioning it!

BTW, What are you doing to it once the engine is out?
I'm either replacing the clutch, or resurfacing it with ClutchMasters. I'm also planning to look for anything else that I can easily fix while I'm in there.

@ExoticCarSearch: I do indeed have a shop manual, though it's funny how few directions it has compared to, say, a Honda shop manual (which would list exact torques for all bolts and also show pretty awesome diagrams). The entire SV shop manual has a column on one page talking about engine removal -- less than about 1000 words, and the only picture is of a guy with a paunch doing the impossible (taking the engine out with the entire exhaust, including cats and mufflers, attached). Good times, good times.

My head gaskets show very slight leakage, almost undetectable. How important is it to do the valve adjustment? I might go ahead and get that done, though from what I understand, it requires several specialized tools. Definitely going to check out the flywheel teeth/etc. Thanks again for the great advice, everyone.

Great job so far. I think it is just great that you are tackling this yourself. Take lots of pictures and post them up during your progress. Hope everything goes smooth for you.

My head gaskets show very slight leakage, almost undetectable. How important is it to do the valve adjustment? I might go ahead and get that done, though from what I understand, it requires several specialized tools. Definitely going to check out the flywheel teeth/etc. Thanks again for the great advice, everyone.

Valve clearance is very important. It is the biggest cost of a 15k service because it is labor intensive {tough access while the engine is still in the vehicle}. While your engine is out, it is very easy to check your clearances to see if adjustment is needed.

I believe a Lamborghini technicians advice would be to:

Make a drawing of your heads with your 48 valves.

Measure clearances of each valve and fill in the reading on your "head-valve diagram"

Remove heads and have someone qualified to inspect them.

Have proper shims installed for correct valve clearance. Someone very qualified can get the shim adjustment right the first time.

Bolt cams back in to check valve clearances- reshim if necessary-bench check again-

Remove cams

Replace head gaskets and reassemble.

I do not know if timing chain wear {stretching} is an issue with Diablos.-Or tensioner wear. Perhaps someone better qualified can give you some input in the area.