registering a website name

shineydubzzz

New member here;

like the title says im looking to register a website name for a new business venture. in the past i had a website designer helping me out but this time i would like to do things on my own

so i already have already decided on the website name and its available; and i would like to now register it. could someone please help me out? best company to register it through? anything i should know when registering it? thanks ahead of time

someone told me that godaddy is horrible to deal with? sorry this is why im asking

by the way i appreciate your help!

Nothing wrong with registering a name there...just point it somewhere else for your hosting.

I have used both godaddy.com, and namecheap.com and I prefer namecheap. Godaddy looks pretty good, and is easy to use, but I like how namecheap doesn't try to upsell you every step of the way, and you also get whoisguard for free with domain registration.

edit.... If you go to http://retailmenot.com and put in the url of the site you are buying stuff from, you can usually get coupons. ex. godaddy.com or namecheap.com

I would take advantage of the godaddy deal while you can. I have registered multiple domains across different platforms and I have no problems with godaddy. Just don't use their hosting.

Nothing wrong with registering a name there...just point it somewhere else for your hosting.

I would take advantage of the godaddy deal while you can. I have registered multiple domains across different platforms and I have no problems with godaddy. Just don't use their hosting.

i got the registering and hosting confused; a few people told me to stay away from godaddy for hosting and thats what i was worried about

thanks everyone for your responces especially GB for the coupon. i appreciate it a ton!

Nah, not really unless you plan on trademarking. Dotcom has been my core business for 16 years, and I usually let the .net's slide.

• 1 month later...

Looking to secure a domain name soon. I was going to go with GoDaddy, but read some horror stories on them. Why do I even have to pay a service to secure a domain name? Can't I do what they do- myself? Any other suggestions? And can I sell a domain name that I register thru them for a profit?

Domain names are not a right, there is no freedom to have one. So given that the services they provide to send your information to ICANN, they add a premium for their service. There are $8.99 to $20 domain registrars out there. Registering the name is just one step, getting a host after that is another. The registration is a very easy thing to deal with and even if you don't like GoDaddy, you just get the domain name and host it someplace else.

Registrars you can trust that are not GoDaddy and have been around a LOT longer than them.

http://www.networksolutions.com $13

http://www.domain.com $11

Thanks, TestShoot. I searched coupons and found a 30% off coupon for GoDaddy - I'm looking at doing the 5-year term and locking in that price. So if I host with another company, all would be well - even if GoDaddy sucks otherwise?

Thanks, TestShoot. I searched coupons and found a 30% off coupon for GoDaddy - I'm looking at doing the 5-year term and locking in that price. So if I host with another company, all would be well - even if GoDaddy sucks otherwise?

Yep. I buy all of my domains through GoDaddy and just point the nameservers elsewhere to another host. Good luck!

it all depends on the scale of your ecommerce and your skills. there are plenty of ecom solutions, amazon stores, ebay shops, etc out there if you want nothing to do with the technical side.

Godaddy support is fantastic. I register domains and UCC certificates with them. They have always been awesome with customer service. When I call I always get someone knowledgable to assist. But don't use their hosting. It's cheap but was slow. Get Amazon EC2 for that. I had to chime in since I've always been grateful for their service.

If you are looking to resell try sedo.co.uk or sedo.com

They tend to be a decent help in finding some of the better domain auctions out there. Hope that helps.

What are your guy's thoughts about the .co and how it compares to .com or .net? It is fairly new isn't it; think it will catch on?

First of all why would you register a domain name without hosting it as well? Domain registration is FREE with hosting! Unlimited EVERYTHING hosting is $10 per year with my host. I never understood why anybody would actually pay for domain name registration.

First of all why would you register a domain name without hosting it as well? Domain registration is FREE with hosting! Unlimited EVERYTHING hosting is $10 per year with my host. I never understood why anybody would actually pay for domain name registration.

Just to secure a domain. I got a decent deal. I probably shouldn't have done such a long term, but it's my first time and it was cheap. Now I'm going to hunt for hosts. I didn't know most secured domains also until AFTER I bought the GoDaddy domain.

What are your guy's thoughts about the .co and how it compares to .com or .net? It is fairly new isn't it; think it will catch on?

No big whoop on .co domains. They are just there to split channels and cost domain owners more money. I figure they will be like .biz .us .ws .info domains that MLM people absolutely love.

The main issue with .co is people are trained to type .com, not a good thing imho

No big whoop on .co domains. They are just there to split channels and cost domain owners more money. I figure they will be like .biz .us .ws .info domains that MLM people absolutely love.

The main issue with .co is people are trained to type .com, not a good thing imho

Exactly, just another cost of doing business. The .co is not going to revolutionize anything .com is where people are preconditioned to head towards.