Flood in Queensland, Australia

andyling

A friend of mine can't even evacuate because of the water.

I know that Caboolture, about 40 min north of the CBD has been cut off in all directions, thoughts go out to anyone in that situation.

Even worse is that there is meant to be a king tide in a few days...uggh

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The building I work in got evacuated today. The amount of people leaving the CBD at around lunch time was incredible. Lines for buses several hundred meters long

Have a feeling I won't be going in tomorrow!

The situation has got a lot worse today with the flood waters starting to affect the Brisbane CBD apparently. This is getting really bad.

Again, Fortis and Scud and the other LPers in QLD, hope you guys and your families are safe. Let us know how you're going.

it is horrible here, we are all safe, fortunately we live on higher grounds, they started to evacuate the city.

Tomorrow we are expecting things to worsen with the king tide due to hit the river.

Our prayers go out to the victims and their families. :(

wrong time for sarcasm.

Not to mention the irony that this is the middle of summer :lol2:

Rain has stopped at my place for the first time in 24 hours, that's some consolation even if most of the trouble is already upstream and on it's way down. Off for a walk now to check out the flooding creek behind our place before we lose light, may take the camera...

wrong time for sarcasm.

:iamwithstupid:

Not to mention the irony that this is the middle of summer :lol2:

Rain has stopped at my place for the first time in 24 hours, that's some consolation even if most of the trouble is already upstream and on it's way down. Off for a walk now to check out the flooding creek behind our place before we lose light, may take the camera...

I live a few houses from Bulimba Creek. Its high, but not too bad at the moment (see pic - usually a small creek maybe 2-3m across, and less than 1m deep).

According to the flood maps, worse case it will be <50m from my house. Not worried though - unless there is a huge downpour over the next day or two, we should be fine.

post-4206-1294734709.jpg

I'll put up some photos tonight that were taken at our Toowoomba office yesterday. Absolutely unbelievable.

:iamwithstupid:

I live a few houses from Bulimba Creek. Its high, but not too bad at the moment (see pic - usually a small creek maybe 2-3m across, and less than 1m deep).

According to the flood maps, worse case it will be <50m from my house. Not worried though - unless there is a huge downpour over the next day or two, we should be fine.

post-4206-1294734709.jpg

I'll put up some photos tonight that were taken at our Toowoomba office yesterday. Absolutely unbelievable.

The scary thing is that they are saying if it hits peak on Thursday it will most likely hold it until Saturday which is just going to make it that much harder for those that are affected. Glad to see you're not too affected by all of this, hopefully looks like that area won't cop it too bad. I'll be over that way to visit family in the next couple of days so shall definitely go and take a look at how far underwater Oxford st goes....

Ipswich is looking like the next really major target. Feeling bad for anyone out there, with a 22m peak predicted and 1/3 of the town underwater :shock:

One quick shot I snapped with the iPhone earlier, you can see it's (was?) a fairly small bridge as it's usually a trickle...perhaps 20cm deep and half a metre wide usually. Looks like we shouldn't be affected by it though....

post-5387-1294742780.jpg

My parents are only 3 houses from the river, so they were sent home from work yesterday and began moving everything upstairs and have packed a bag ready to leave. Hopefully will hear from them first thing in the morning their time. Crossfingers they are alright.

I really hope everyone in the area is safe & OK, we have a lot of friends & family in and around QLD so please keep in touch so we know you're still OK!

So sorry to hear that about your friends store, Fortis. Has this affected your plans at all for the new business idea? or even your families medium term future in Brisbane?

So sorry to hear that about your friends store, Fortis. Has this affected your plans at all for the new business idea? or even your families medium term future in Brisbane?

He's in the building business,Not saying flooding is good, but This can potentially make Fortis a multi Billionaire(If he isn't one yet) over night.

Just Hangin there Fortis! God gives you a life time opportunity!

Nothing my friend can do, hopefully the insurance will properly compensate everyone affected.

We haven't been affected personally or business wise, we are going ahead as planned and we are certainly on schedule, tomorrow we are meeting with the architects to start designing our line.

I took some photos (iPhone) this afternoon around the CBD, most streets close to the river were flooded, the city evacuated, streets empty, the feeling that you get when you drive around empty streets at a time when they should be

buzzing with cars and traffic is very eerie.

Lambo dealer put the few cars they have in stock upstairs, I can not believe the water got so close to the shop, it is insane!

IMG_0543.jpg

IMG_0544.jpg

IMG_0545.jpg

IMG_0548.jpg

IMG_0550.jpg

IMG_0551.jpg

IMG_0552.jpg

IMG_0553.jpg

IMG_0554.jpg

IMG_0555.jpg

IMG_0556.jpg

IMG_0557.jpg

IMG_0559.jpg

IMG_0560.jpg

IMG_0561.jpg

IMG_0562.jpg

IMG_0563.jpg

IMG_0564.jpg

IMG_0565.jpg

IMG_0566.jpg

IMG_0569.jpg

IMG_0570.jpg

This reminded me of Brian's mattress :icon_mrgreen:

IMG_0546.jpg

IMG_0547.jpg

Fortis, how's the displaced wildlife? Are you seeing any snakes, crocs, etc? Some of the articles I've read say that there are venomous snakes all over the place, but I do know how the media tends to overhype things at times like this. I can't imagine the economic impact this will have on the area...scale-wise, any idea how it compares to the flooding in New Orleans?