Gallardo Battery Replacement

NRG x Lambo

so.... the battery i think crapped out completely while at the body shop. i had the car dropped off for 3 days to get the tail lights/side markers smoked - and the battery doesn't seem to be able to hold it's charge anymore - even while on the tender. what is size or brand of battery do you guys recommend running on the gallardo? i need to get it quick, and something local to drop in and replace in the car.

a) WHAT SIZE AND BRAND IS RECOMMENDED FOR GALLARDO?

B) DO YOU HAVE TO REMOVE THE WHOLE FRONT COMPARTMENT TRIM TO ACCESS THE BATTERY?

c) BECAUSE MY BATTERY "SEEMED" TO HAVE BEEN WORKING FINE BEFORE THE BODYSHOP, IS THERE ANYTHING THAT COULD HAVE BEEN TRIPPED/TRIGGERED THAT WOULD 'DRAW' EXTRA POWER FROM BATTERY NOW WHILE CAR IS PARKED THAT I CAN CHECK? (ONLY PARTS OF CAR TOUCHED WERE THE TAIL LIGHTS, AND SIDE MARKERS... )

thanks in advanced!

so.... the battery i think crapped out completely while at the body shop. i had the car dropped off for 3 days to get the tail lights/side markers smoked - and the battery doesn't seem to be able to hold it's charge anymore - even while on the tender. what is size or brand of battery do you guys recommend running on the gallardo? i need to get it quick, and something local to drop in and replace in the car.

a) WHAT SIZE AND BRAND IS RECOMMENDED FOR GALLARDO?

B) DO YOU HAVE TO REMOVE THE WHOLE FRONT COMPARTMENT TRIM TO ACCESS THE BATTERY?

c) BECAUSE MY BATTERY "SEEMED" TO HAVE BEEN WORKING FINE BEFORE THE BODYSHOP, IS THERE ANYTHING THAT COULD HAVE BEEN TRIPPED/TRIGGERED THAT WOULD 'DRAW' EXTRA POWER FROM BATTERY NOW WHILE CAR IS PARKED THAT I CAN CHECK? (ONLY PARTS OF CAR TOUCHED WERE THE TAIL LIGHTS, AND SIDE MARKERS... )

thanks in advanced!

You have to remove the front compartment trim (the rubber seal and then the whole trunk area) to remove the battery. I can't remember what size the battery is, but I think all the replacements other than the FIAMM battery will be slightly different in size than the FIAMM and may need a little modifying of the battery holder to get it to work. I'll let others chime in on what battery to use... there seem to be some strong opinions regarding that. I would expect that the battery failure is probably more a coincidence than anything else.

Good luck

I will chime in with one thing: Why didn't the boneheads make the battery access door just a wee bit larger, so removing the trunk liner would not be necessary ?? :eusa_wall:

Probably because taking out the tub only takes 10 min? 4 screws and just pull out the weather strip.

I think it's group 34 but any auto parts store would have a hand book to look that up. Unless you are looking for sealed battery like optima, most generic batteries are all the same - sears, pepboys, autozone. Walmart has good prices actually.

Get the radio code before you swap since you will need to reactivate the radio after.

Probably because taking out the tub only takes 10 min? 4 screws and just pull out the weather strip.

I think it's group 34 but any auto parts store would have a hand book to look that up. Unless you are looking for sealed battery like optima, most generic batteries are all the same - sears, pepboys, autozone. Walmart has good prices actually.

Get the radio code before you swap since you will need to reactivate the radio after.

I don't know... even though it's only a 10 minute job, it still would have been nice if you could access and remove the battery without having to take out the tub.

thanks for the info. i'll probably try to swap out the battery tonight. hoping it isn't a bigger issue with something drawing power unnecessarily or alternator gone bad...

I don't know... even though it's only a 10 minute job, it still would have been nice if you could access and remove the battery without having to take out the tub.

Correct. It's "a 10 minute job" for the Lambo tech; It's not always 10 minutes for some owners. :)

Correct. It's "a 10 minute job" for the Lambo tech; It's not always 10 minutes for some owners. :)

I'm embarassed to say how long it took me to put everything back together!!! :eusa_wall:

okay... so new OPTIMA red top installed. car is starting up and working... anyway to CHECK to see if there's some bad connection that's drawing power abnormally away from battery?

I went to start my car up a last week and found it was dead. I thought it might be because I hadn't driven it in a couple of weeks. Horrible, I know, but I live in Chicago and we do have to deal with the snow. Anyway, i jumped it and car drove fine. Couple of days later and same problem. Think it's time to replace mine now, also. The current battery is an Interstate. Any recommendations on where to get a battery and what brand?

Walmart, really? Will they be able to pull up the right size?

There should be a book or kiosk that you can lookup the right battery, filter, etc. Every auto supply store have this, including Walmart.

I just had a problem with the battery on my 06 gallardo. only 6K miles. I pulled the battery and it was exactly the same size as the battery that I replaced on my wife's 06 mercedes ml350. some of the auto stores don't have lamborghini in their system and can't look up the battery. so you can look up mercedes ml instead. i replaced the gallardo battery with an optima yellow top. size 34. works great!

everything went smoothly. taking the CD changer out was a bit of a pain in ass cause the bolts are hard to get too. also figuring out exactly how the weather stripping stayed on was a bit tricky. but once i figure out how the strip sat in the grooves, it was a piece of cake. overall saved nearly $400+ from going to dealership install (who would have used just another interstate battery anyways).

everything went smoothly. taking the CD changer out was a bit of a pain in ass cause the bolts are hard to get too. also figuring out exactly how the weather stripping stayed on was a bit tricky. but once i figure out how the strip sat in the grooves, it was a piece of cake. overall saved nearly $400+ from going to dealership install (who would have used just another interstate battery anyways).

Congrats! I forgot most of u have cd changer. :)

So I am not the only one...

My battery have been gradually depleted the last few weeks, which I thought was due to nit holding charge in lower temperatures. I just replaced it today, being fed up with jump starting it all the time. Picked up a yellow top from Autozone and 30 minutes worth of wrenching. The reason The job took some time for my is the location of a five channel amp in the bottom of the tub, and a bunch of signal and power wires going to it.

Otherwise, it was really easy access and work. First time working on my car, I was curious to see the layout in the compartment, and it seems like everything is easy to work on. Pumps, fans, ballasts, etc, easy accessible. Is it in general easy to work on the G?