Digital SLR Camera

pockmark

So I am in the market for a digital SLR camera as I figure I am going to Europe in June, and it would be gear to take some great pictures, and I am pretty confident my wife and I will probably start popping out a few kids next year.

I went to best buy today which by the way my local best buy sucks balls...with all the intention in the world of buying a Canon t3i, and they didn't have one in stock. So I figured I would ask my lp brethren.

Budget $800-$1000.

Looking for 18+megapixel slr cameras which records in 1080 HD..

We just bought a T3i at my video company -- it's awesome! I'm sure there are other options out there but for the money I can't imagine doing much better! Good luck!

We trust B&H for everything and they've got them at $1099 w/ free shipping. I bet if you called and asked for a better price, you might just get one. I paid $999 plus tax at our local Best Buy.

Rebel T3i at B&H

Well I just spent the last 4 days doing practically nothing but researching this subject. Old man's birthday is next week and I figured this would be a perfect present and a welcome upgrade from his original digital Rebel. I went straight to Canon as they have a proven track record, I've used a bunch of their cameras before, and I really don't like the button/settings layout of the Nikon. I was looking for something around the $1k mark and it was clear that the two options would be T3i and 60D. To make it overly simplistic, these two cameras really vary very slightly. From what I've read, the T3i edges out the 60D in video shooting as its in-video focus seems to work better. On the other hand the 60D has a few nice features which put it ahead of the T3i in the photo department. The thing that did it for me really was that the 60D is physically larger and will be easier to grip for someone with a larger hand. It also helped that every person who's held the 60D in their hands said it feels like a more solid built camera than the T3i. So in the end, it was a 60D for me.

Now the other part is the lens. My dad has an old Tamron 28-300 and loves the versatility of a lens that covers a wide zoom range. So I was dead set on getting the 18-200mm lens. Unfortunately because everyone is out of the kit which includes the lens, I have to piece these together, but if a large zoom is not terribly important, the 18-135 lens would probably be more than enough for you. This is a great basic DSLR lens which will give you very good photos if you know what you are doing. While some are happy with Tamrons and Sigmas, I would stick with a Canon as they have proven themselves many times before as providing good lenses. If the 18-135mm lens is ok for you, you can pick up this whole kit for just a bit over $1200. I ordered mine from J&R, and although I ordered the body alone, they did price match www.ajrichard.com (original was $1k and they brought it down to $950). Given that ajrichards is now showing the 60D with the lens for $1229, it would be worth trying to have J&R match them.

Both of my pieces are now en route to my office and I can't wait to give this kit to my dad.

Dpreview.com

If you plan on only using the lens it comes with, it doesn't matter which brand. If you plan on buying lenses, you should pick a body which has lenses you want. Lenses will not be compatible across brands.

I'm personally waiting for the 5D Mark III. They need to spit that thing out already. Need new AF!

Though priced a bit more, I recently picked up this Nikon D7000 and did a Sony shotgun mic on it. Makes for some beautiful 1080p / audio.

c4e2273.jpg

This. Only you won't need the mic for vacation shooting.

What pissed me off to the point where I wanted to punch something was the idiot servicerep at best buy. I ask him for the camera and say I want to buy it. He checks and says they don't have it in stock and it's not in stock at any of the best buys in the area so it must be a discontinued model or a model they stopped producing. I said the camera just came out a little while ago. He tries explaining that it happens all the time with cameras and tv's. I said it is not discontinued. He says I am pretty sure it is, but we should be getting more I just don't know when.

fcuking IDIOT.

Mike, it's the #1 reason never to actually buy at stores like Best Buy. Use the store as a showroom and purchase from B&H or Adorama.

We trust B&H for everything and they've got them at $1099 w/ free shipping. I bet if you called and asked for a better price, you might just get one. I paid $999 plus tax at our local Best Buy.

Rebel T3i at B&H

They have it for $899 directly off of the Canon Website.

They have it for $899 directly off of the Canon Website.

Then buy off Canon USA site.

B&H Canon T3i w/ 18-55

B&H Canon t3i w/ 18-135

Different kit lenses cause difference in price.

My point was to never buy ANYTHING at best buy and/or related stores. Use big box retailers as a mere showroom and find better prices online, usually with better service after the sale.

Entry level DSLR is also available at costco and amazon. Canon and Nikon are the ones to get.

If you want something more compact, you can also look into Sony and Pansonic's compact SLR. They look like a large point and shoot. You'll get about 80% of picture quality and it'll be easier to carry. Lenses are very limited though.

Excited!

Hope its worth the extra $800 over a point and shoot!

As long as you take advantage of various manual features you'll see a huge advantage over point and shoot cameras.

Excited!

Hope its worth the extra $800 over a point and shoot!

Tell me how user friendly you find it. Im going on safari in August and would love to come back with some amazing pictures, but im a total retard when it comes to cameras and pictures. I need something that can do all the work and I just point.