Murcielago Stereo/speaker upgrade

Ahmedito

Hello guys,

I just bough a 2005 Murcialgo with E-gear. now I am looking to upgrade the speakers and the stereo to double din Pioneer screen. The problem is that I couldn't found someone here that will custom the dash to fit the new LCD, where can I get it?

Also for the speakers do you guys have any recommendation?

I attached the stereo what I have now, Please help me.

Thank you

IMG_20110516_00950.jpg

Welcome to L/P.

So are you saying you want to fit a double-DIN unit into the OEM space: i.e. move the A/C control unit to make room for the LCD screen?

Can we see pics of your Murci please?

If check the picture I attached on the first post you will see my current setup. But now I want to look like this http://www.newlaunches.com/entry_images/04...ken_2-thumb.jpg

So I have to change the dash frame to make it fit. I know that I can get carbon fiber but iam looking for something cheaper.

Ok, doesn't look too complicated. Likely some members here can point you to an experienced installer but informing where you are approximately located would help.

And are you sure you want to install such a unit? If it's the same unit as the pic, those buttons are awfully close to the bottom of the centre dash; accessing them might be slightly problematic.

To have good speakers, you'd likely need to install an amp to drive them properly. Double-DIN unit + good speakers + amp is plenty of added weight. Again, are you sure?

If you use a kenwood unit you could buy the inner cage from the dealer to hold the unit. Then you could buy the faceplate from MA Carbon or do a search for one on ebay. The hardest part is securing the unit in place. For audio equipment I recommend Hertz/Audison. If there is anything else you need help with give me a shout.

For audio equipment I recommend Hertz/Audison.

:iamwithstupid:

Another good speaker is Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5", or Imagine 6.5".

On the used end, a very good and highly underrated set is the Polk SR6500:

http://www.woofersetc.com/p-5543-sr6500-po...-crossover.aspx

All of these speakers mentioned will go for under $600, and IMO are better than many that are priced in the $1000-$3000 range.

Most important is start with a good amp....the ~$1000 Audison 4 channel (or 5 channel) would be a great way to start. Speaker choice is secondary.

The problem is that the car is in Saudi Arabia. If it is in the United States I'm sure I can found installer

Does any one can sell the whole kit to me?

To have good speakers, you'd likely need to install an amp to drive them properly. Double-DIN unit + good speakers + amp is plenty of added weight. Again, are you sure?

Is it really that much weight?

I think as long as there are no subs and enclosures, your weight gain is somewhere around 20-30 lbs. Maybe 40?

I get it how even 1 lb is a big deal for an M3 CSL, a 911 GT3 RS, or even a Superleggera G.... but the Murci is far from those cars swiss cheeseritually. Add away. :icon_mrgreen:

I'm looking for the trim piece but not the carbon fiber one.

It's not available, I had to cut the alloy one to suit. Easy task, neat job. The double DIN unit only just fits, without the surrouning trim. I think only a Kenwood or Pioneer will fit. Good luck, I'll post some picks of mine when I can.

Is it really that much weight?

I think as long as there are no subs and enclosures, your weight gain is somewhere around 20-30 lbs. Maybe 40?

I get it how even 1 lb is a big deal for an M3 CSL, a 911 GT3 RS, or even a Superleggera G.... but the Murci is far from those cars swiss cheeseritually. Add away. :icon_mrgreen:

20, 30 or maybe 40lbs is not much for a car stereo only?! You tell me. :) And chances are it's probably 30% improvement...max. (Just talking about sound improvement, the novelty factor doesn't count.)

20, 30 or maybe 40lbs is not much for a car stereo only?! You tell me. :) And chances are it's probably 30% improvement...max. (Just talking about sound improvement, the novelty factor doesn't count.)

PM me your address.

When I get around to getting my car system upgraded this summer I will send you the amp I'm using now. Small for it's quality....10" x 12", and pretty light.

Hook it up to one of your cars or a buddy's car, and report back. I *PROMISE* you, you will see wayyyyy more than 30% improvement.

I'd like for you to report back with your findings. If it doesn't offer a *night & day* improvement, then I will no longer offer car or home audio commentary ever again on this forum.

If however it does impress, the amp is yours to keep. :icon_thumleft:

You see, I get it that some home audio guys don't like car audio....I understand.

However, when I hear that car stereo is only "good for traffic and news reports" and "30% max over stock" ...to me...is like someone coming on here and saying :

"Lamborghini Gallardo....30% more fun than Honda Civic"

:icon_mrgreen:

So what do you say, my friend? I'm taking all the risk here. :)

I don't care about how much the extra weight is, I just want to enjoy some good music..

Power off radio, put down the windows, apply full throttle, enjoy :icon_thumleft:

PM me your address.

When I get around to getting my car system upgraded this summer I will send you the amp I'm using now. Small for it's quality....10" x 12", and pretty light.

Hook it up to one of your cars or a buddy's car, and report back. I *PROMISE* you, you will see wayyyyy more than 30% improvement.

I'd like for you to report back with your findings. If it doesn't offer a *night & day* improvement, then I will no longer offer car or home audio commentary ever again on this forum.

If however it does impress, the amp is yours to keep. :icon_thumleft:

You see, I get it that some home audio guys don't like car audio....I understand.

However, when I hear that car stereo is only "good for traffic and news reports" and "30% max over stock" ...to me...is like someone coming on here and saying :

"Lamborghini Gallardo....30% more fun than Honda Civic"

:icon_mrgreen:

So what do you say, my friend? I'm taking all the risk here. :)

Whao...easy there my friend. I think you misunderstood me; particular the 30% max part. :)

First off, I am NOT dissing all car stereo though, admittedly, I am much more of a home stereo guy. There are genuinely good products in the car stereo world. In fact, you more than likely knew that one of the better subwoofers on the planet --- Krell's

M a s t e r Reference Subwoofer --- was ins p ired by a car stereo sub and shares some similarities in design and construction. And given the harsh environment of a car's cabin, some results are commendable. But let's look at the listening environment of the car. First & foremost, with the exception of the McLaren F1, the listener/driver is already way off the sweet spot (sitting to one side). Speakers' placements are very restricted and even the best DSP algorithm won't solve the inherent handicap. For obvious reasons the car needs as much glass area as possible --- another taboo for quality sound. In addition to sitting skewed to one side, the driver, again obviously, needs to sit towards the front. Most, if not all, of the time, the rear speakers of car stereo are larger which also violates another speaker rules (ok, I guess Lambo and most 2-seaters can be the exception). So even if the car stereo quality is of the highest calibre, the fundamental nature of the car’s cabin already discounts the sound quality severely. And we haven't even factored in road, engine, A/C and various other ambient noises. And then we speak of the Lambo cabin, low ceiling, relatively narrow and anything but the golden ratio dimensions.

With the advent of Class-D amplifiers, one can have truckload of power and current in a tiny package. While most aren't great, a few do sound rather well and with technology matching forward, they can only get better. We both knew that a high-current amp would usually make good speakers sing and does miracle for regular speakers. And given the right matching in filters, proper components in the crossover, better wiring etc... the end result will be decent. But de s pite the proper highs and lows and even assuming perfectly seamless subwoofer integration, it’s next to impossible to get proper soundstage, depth and imaging from a car stereo. It’s like wearing headphones (yes, this comment won’t be very popular either); compare to real; music, it simply sounds “wrong”. And that’s the 30% that I was referring to. And in a Lambo cabin, especially when the car is rolling (or even at idle), that 30% improvement is really pushing it. I am not saying it is impossible, but considering all the detrimental factors that would affect the sound quality, I just don’t think it’s worth the while. Some may say that I’m splitting hair and not every guy is esoteric like you and me. I have no problem with that: their cars, their money, their music and their preferences. But we are both the esoteric high-end audio buff and if we need to do an A/B comparison, the proper way to do it is in a Lambo since the O/P is asking about swapping the Murci’s stereo. I.e. I don’t doubt the 30% sound improvement will materialize in some cars given their ideal cabin dimensions and sound insulation materials used. But in a Lambo, any Lambo, I strongly doubt a 30% improvement is possible. To be fair, if we take the music “apart” as in judging only the highs, mids or lows separately, the 30% improvement may be possible. But if we factor in the overall sound, the likelihood diminishes rapidly and when factoring in the ambient noises and the cabin design, 30% improvement in a Lambo is quite unlikely. And while I may not have heard them all, but hardware from Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood, Sony, JVC, Panasonic, Nakamichi and even McIntosh, Focal, Infinitiy, JBL etc…and all from inside various Lambo’s; 30% is a rather lofty goal for improvement.

Coming from you, I have no doubt that the amp’s that you are referring to is of top quality sound and more than likely possible to deliver that 30% given the right car cabin; no need to risk your reputation as I more than have faith in your audio competence. But 30% improvement in a Lambo is, IMHO, stretching it a bit. And thank you for the kind offer/challenge; I’ll keep that in mind. Seems like even if I am proven wrong, I still get a prize. :icon_mrgreen: :icon_thumleft: Cheers! :)

Sorry for jacking the thread a bit.

And mods, TAKE OUT THE "S" "P" "I" filter please.

Whao...easy there my friend. I think you misunderstood me; particular the 30% max part. :)

Coming from you, I have no doubt that the amp’s that you are referring to is of top quality sound and more than likely possible to deliver that 30% given the right car cabin; no need to risk your reputation as I more than have faith in your audio competence. But 30% improvement in a Lambo is, IMHO, stretching it a bit. And thank you for the kind offer/challenge; I’ll keep that in mind. Seems like even if I am proven wrong, I still get a prize. :icon_mrgreen: :icon_thumleft: Cheers! :)

It's all good....I figured there'd be a misunderstanding. :lol2:

From my experience, sound quality for most non-audio types is really just the tonal balance. Car audio guys and audiophiles like to really get into image and stage, and obviously that's tough work without a lot of experimentation with speaker locations and/or DSP.

My philosophy is there's no point in laboring over such a lofty goal....my compromise is a center channel....boom, gets 90% of the job done (which is a centered vocal) with 10% of the effort. It also adds midbass and makes the sound fuller.

I doubt I'd do a custom center in a Lambo....not worth it probably and a cosmetic challenge with that dash. :icon_mrgreen:

I agree a Lambo is not the best car to do car audio, but for straight speaker replacement and adding an amp...why not? Given the big expense of the car to begin with, you could justify a pretty high amount for stereo just like all the other cosmetic stuff people do.

Subs are another story.....it would depend on a case by case basis whether to put them in. I'd never put them in an SL, but a Murci roadster...maybe.

I'll let you know when the amp is available....if you want to try it out, I will send it up.

It's all good....I figured there'd be a misunderstanding. :lol2:

From my experience, sound quality for most non-audio types is really just the tonal balance. Car audio guys and audiophiles like to really get into image and stage, and obviously that's tough work without a lot of experimentation with speaker locations and/or DSP.

My philosophy is there's no point in laboring over such a lofty goal....my compromise is a center channel....boom, gets 90% of the job done (which is a centered vocal) with 10% of the effort. It also adds midbass and makes the sound fuller.

I doubt I'd do a custom center in a Lambo....not worth it probably and a cosmetic challenge with that dash. :icon_mrgreen:

I agree a Lambo is not the best car to do car audio, but for straight speaker replacement and adding an amp...why not? Given the big expense of the car to begin with, you could justify a pretty high amount for stereo just like all the other cosmetic stuff people do.

Subs are another story.....it would depend on a case by case basis whether to put them in. I'd never put them in an SL, but a Murci roadster...maybe.

I'll let you know when the amp is available....if you want to try it out, I will send it up.

All good! :icon_thumleft:

And all valid points. I guess separating the enjoyment of driving an exotic car with the enjoyment of music is too hardcore for non-audiophile people. :icon_mrgreen: Years ago, a friend experimented with a top-notch Alpine system in his BMW 535i. He put a centre speaker (forgot what size, around 4" or 5") in the middle of the dash and it sounded surprisingly good! (Especially from such a small speaker. It had deep cones and weight a lot --- large magnets --- which I suspect was the contributing factor.) It still doesn't solve the fact that one is sitting off to one side though.

We both agree that subs are way more than wham, bam and shakes one's pants. That's actually good physics involved and good, clean and fast deep bass is almost guaranteed to be $$$. It would be difficult to do a sub properly in a Lambo. Not impossible I suppose but it'll take plenty of work to get it "right".

And many thanks for the offer again! :)

If you use a kenwood unit you could buy the inner cage from the dealer to hold the unit. Then you could buy the faceplate from MA Carbon or do a search for one on ebay. The hardest part is securing the unit in place. For audio equipment I recommend Hertz/Audison. If there is anything else you need help with give me a shout.

Do you know what type of Hertz/Audison speakers that would do a direct fit? I know that I need 6.5 but some of them has a high depth.