Anyone been to the Monticello track?

LPDADDY

I spent a couple of days there this last weekend and i have to say the track layout is beautiful and the facilities are very nice. If i have a complaint, it would be that there is not enough runoff on most of the corners and i am really surprised at that given that they have spent 40 million on the place.

It seems there has been talk of running a couple of pro races there and i don't see that happening without major mods to the track.

I would love to hear the feedback of anyone who has been there.

From a photographers point of view it is one of the nicest tracks to shoot at (along with Limerock) in the northeast. I had the opportunity to drive the Lamborghini Performante at the track and really enjoyed it even running on the short track.

As for the runoff I see your concern about not enough space if they were to run any pro races there. I remember talk about bringing F1 there but that could have been one of the reasons why they went with a new facility in Austin instead.

I've run Monti on numerous occasions, and I agree with you about the runoff. Anything faster and more agressive than 'track days/hpde days', and things could get ugly.

There is literally NO runoff at the end of the straight before that 90 deg right hander...

I also agree about the facility...It's great.

I found the track to be too narrow when I drove it too. You don't want to go in three-wide at this track on many of these corners. Definitely agree about run-off as well. I did the Grand-Am race at New Jersey two weeks ago and it was carnage there with TONS of run-off. If it had Monticello walls, it would have been iffy.

The Cayman Interseries is going to a do a non-points race there in a couple of weeks I believe.

It's certainly more upscale than most tracks.

I think the track is good to shake down a car but i would never race there with the actual layout. The first corner right after the pits is beyond dangerous in race conditions as all there is a bunch of tires and they would not stop any car at speed.

I think the track is good to shake down a car but i would never race there with the actual layout. The first corner right after the pits is beyond dangerous in race conditions as all there is a bunch of tires and they would not stop any car at speed.

Monticello is a Test Track, NOT a Race Track.

Monticello is a Test Track, NOT a Race Track.

It is a race track and one that has been built recently. Irrelevent of what they are charging for membership, and it isn't cheap, safety should be their main concern and the way the track is configured at the present time, it is not safe. A lot of the members go on that track with street cars and given the lack of runoff, pretty much any off track excursion is going to end up in costly crashes. It is not acceptable imo.

Gotten rides, driven and organized a track day there... I don't have a lot of experience with tracks and driving on them, so can't comment on the run offs and safety except to say that I know of at least 5 cars that crashed there and were pretty much totaled.

Facility is very nice, indeed.

It is a race track and one that has been built recently. Irrelevent of what they are charging for membership, and it isn't cheap, safety should be their main concern and the way the track is configured at the present time, it is not safe. A lot of the members go on that track with street cars and given the lack of runoff, pretty much any off track excursion is going to end up in costly crashes. It is not acceptable imo.

Monticello was designed for lapping, much like Fiorano, Ferrari's Test Track in Maranello. It is a good track for a driver to work on technique, car control etc. It is also a good place to shake down and test a car, as well as to demonstrate a car. Having 3 or 4 cars in close proximity is about it.

That is much different than having a full field of 20 plus cars aggressively racing each other, pushing harder into the corners to overtake or keep ahead of a competitor.

Monticello was built as a Country Club for wealthy individuals to spend a few hours when they have the free time driving their cars at speeds not permitted on public roads. A place where they could go to, relax drive for a while etc. Instead of driving golf balls they drive cars.

Monticello was designed for lapping, much like Fiorano, Ferrari's Test Track in Maranello. It is a good track for a driver to work on technique, car control etc. It is also a good place to shake down and test a car, as well as to demonstrate a car. Having 3 or 4 cars in close proximity is about it.

That is much different than having a full field of 20 plus cars aggressively racing each other, pushing harder into the corners to overtake or keep ahead of a competitor.

Monticello was built as a Country Club for wealthy individuals to spend a few hours when they have the free time driving their cars at speeds not permitted on public roads. A place where they could go to, relax drive for a while etc. Instead of driving golf balls they drive cars.

I hear you dude but it doesn't change the fact that it isn't safe. Wether you are racing or just testing, you want to have the comfort that if you screw up you aren't going to break the bank fixing your car