ex-GTR owner...Gallardo next?

Salvatore

Hello all,

I previously owned a modified GT-R. It made around 730awhp.

I am not sure what to get next. I've already have the Corvette (modded of course) and a Viper just isn't THAT appealing to me. The GT-R spoiled me with AWD and paddle shift. I do still have fun with stick though but the precision millisecond shifts were incredible during races.

Right now, the most attractive car to me seems like a twin turbo Gallardo. Not only are they gorgeous inside and out, but with what UR has been doing to them, I can't see why this wouldn't be my next car.

My concern is will the car do me justice? I've seen on another forum an ex GTT owner claiming that his highly modded GT-R is a much better car! I don't want to go with the Gallardo, get it built to 1000whp+ (I run E85), and be inferior to something like a GT-R or find that the driving experience isn't what I expected or that the Gallardos just don't cope with that type of power. Will I miss the launch control since I hear that Gallardos can NOT launch?

What do you guys all think? I am already in love with Lamborghinis in general and have had lots of seat time in both the regular Gallardo and the LP560. I've never been in a TT one though and am really curious how they stack up overall with a GT-R.

Thanks everyone. I am new to these forums but I am looking forwards to possibly being a future GTT owner.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if its any indication several GTT owners sold, and moved over to modded GTR's.

Yes, this is sort of what worries me. Some are saying that the GTR is truly the superior platform. Obviously the GTR boys will tell me to go back and tell me it's the greatest but I figured I would hear what the Lambo guys have to say. Hopefully some of you have experience with both platforms. I unfortunately only have experienced the stock Lambos and mid-high powered GTRs.

Yeah it depends. Kisco is happier but he went from a manual 04 gallardo with a bolt on kit to a built gtr, so that's a huge difference in technology.

It depends on what you want in your preformance car.

i have both and there is still nothing like a 1000hp Heffy GTT!

the GTR is awesome and i drive it everyday but when u get in the Lambo its a whole other ball game.

Guest SP_Lotta Murci

the GTR is awesome and i drive it everyday but when u get in the Lambo its a whole other ball game.

:iamwithstupid:

GTR gets dudes

Lambo gets chicks

:iamwithstupid:

GTR gets dudes

Lambo gets chicks

Lol I am married so I'm not trying to get a car to pull panties but I agree that the Gallardo is sex on wheels. The GTR is just really "cool" and it gets a lot of attention from weirdo guys.

I am more interested in how a 800-1000whp GTR stacks up against a similiar power Gallardo e-gear and what will be a better package of a car. If I were to do the G, it would most likely be an 08 Superleggera or if I can't afford that then just a regular pre-09 G E-gear.

I am thinking of getting a car for spring time so I have time to think it over and weigh my options.

You feel the Gallardo is a "better car" all around?

Would you feel like the GT-R with the same HP would be a waste compared to the Gallardo you have?

Thanks man!

if its any indication several GTT owners sold, and moved over to modded GTR's.

Yeah and some have since sold the GTR and come back to the GTT. :icon_mrgreen:

To the OP, I have had both a mildly modded GTR (~530whp) and a bolt-on GTT, and Underground is now doing a built motor setup on my latest Gallardo. They are both great platforms, and both are obviously AWD, but they are also different in significant ways. IMO two major factors to consider are 1) how much the look/styling of the car matters to you; and 2) how much money you have to spend. I don't know anyone who has a clue who thinks the GTR looks remotely as good as a Gallardo of any year. It just doesn't. Opinions can vary about whether it's downright ugly or kind of neat in an aggressive Japanese sort of way, but from a styling standpoint the Lambo is 2 or 3 orders of magnitude better (and it also attracts way more attention, which can be a good or bad thing depending on your point of view). I also doubt there are many people who would rather have a modded GTR than a TT LP560 or TT SL, but an SL or LP + TT will set you back a good bit more than a comparable GTR. But they are also closer to the GTR in terms of amenities and features (the tranny still isn't as good as a DCT but it's better than the earlier cars, you have Bluetooth and satellite radio, etc.). I think Fadi (the poster mentioned above who went from a GTT to a modded GTR) has acknowledged that he may well be back in a GTT at some point, but it will be an SL or LP560. He went from a bolt-on '04 G to a GTR, which is the starkest contrast possible really from the Gallardo's standpoint.

The GTR is a great car, but I came back in large part due to not ever being able to get comfortable with the car's looks, and missing the breathtaking beauty of the Gallardo and its exclusivity. Both are great cars and both drive really, really well, but as noted they are also significantly different in certain ways. Let me know if you have additional questions.

I have both, totally different cars.... The GT-R is a great everyday super car and I'll probably own one as long as they keep making them, but it's no Lambo, not even close....

The GTR is an amazing car! A great leap forward in technology / price point. The Gallardo will go down as a classic. Speed is easy, it is, and always has been, "how much you wanna spend?" What makes your whistle blow is all that should matter.

Some great responses so far.

Please keep in mind that my true goals are to have a fun weekend car that will mop the floor with anything on the highway (99%) and sttill make a good dinner car that can even be driven by the Mrs. My wife used to drive and even race my GTR a bit and she loved how smooth it was and how it felt like stock.

Do the GTTs feel like stock besides the power and noise?

Also, RedGTS, you state that the Gallardo will set you back much more than the GTR with mods...but looking at UR's prices of like a stage 1 or 2 build compared to buying a GTR and modding it to 850whp they are around the same price. And kits like lambda lambda lambda and the lambda lambda lambda and the omega mu mu or R1KX compare to the Race builds in price too, I think. So I know the G will cost more initially but is it really THAT much more costly in mods, realistically?

thank you brother

Some great responses so far.

Please keep in mind that my true goals are to have a fun weekend car that will mop the floor with anything on the highway (99%) and sttill make a good dinner car that can even be driven by the Mrs. My wife used to drive and even race my GTR a bit and she loved how smooth it was and how it felt like stock.

Do the GTTs feel like stock besides the power and noise?

Also, RedGTS, you state that the Gallardo will set you back much more than the GTR with mods...but looking at UR's prices of like a stage 1 or 2 build compared to buying a GTR and modding it to 850whp they are around the same price. And kits like lambda lambda lambda and the lambda lambda lambda and the omega mu mu or R1KX compare to the Race builds in price too, I think. So I know the G will cost more initially but is it really THAT much more costly in mods, realistically?

thank you brother

I said an SL or LP plus TT will set you back a good bit more than a GTR modded to 850 whp. There is at least a 60k difference in the cost of the stock cars there, even assuming you buy a new GTR. Make it a used GTR and it's more like an 80k difference (and that's for an SL--add another 20k at least for an LP). I agree that cost of a stage 2 UR build v. what you need for the GTR should be fairly comparable (stage 1 isn't going to get you to 850 whp on the G and is really apples and oranges). And yes GTT's drive like stock, until you hit the gas. :)

I said an SL or LP plus TT will set you back a good bit more than a GTR modded to 850 whp. There is at least a 60k difference in the cost of the stock cars there, even assuming you buy a new GTR. Make it a used GTR and it's more like an 80k difference (and that's for an SL--add another 20k at least for an LP). I agree that cost of a stage 2 UR build v. what you need for the GTR should be fairly comparable (stage 1 isn't going to get you to 850 whp on the G and is really apples and oranges). And yes GTT's drive like stock, until you hit the gas. :)

THANKS!

im assuming the SLs are holding their value pretty well over the regular G?

I may look for something cheaper then, like an 05 G.

Thank you for the terrific info. Glad to hear it is smooth and drivable with the twin snails.

A good GSL will run you $150k, add another $90-100k for a full GTT build.... no way GT-R's are running $250k.... I would stay away from a bolt on GTT, I went that route and went back for the full build....

THANKS!

Thank you for the terrific info. Glad to hear it is smooth and drivable with the twin snails.

A good GSL will run you $150k, add another $90-100k for a full GTT build.... no way GT-R's are running $250k.... I would stay away from a bolt on GTT, I went that route and went back for the full build....

Due to wanting more power or reliability issues?

Salvatore,

Let me give you my opinion on this matter given that I have owned a TT Gallardo making 700 awhp, and a modded GTR now making 800 whp. My write up below is going to be based on MY CARS, not anyone else, not how I would feel if my Gallardo had another 100 whp or if it were an SL, etc. MY CARS...Ok, here it goes...

Performance: Not even in the same realm. First of all, you are comparing a stick shift, traditional manual trans to the top of the line, modern technology DCT. If you’re a die-hard performance fan, you will miss the DCT (especially one in the GTR) when faced with a manual day in and day out. As far as numbers, again, not even in the same league. My Gallardo ran a best of 60-130 in 6.4 secs (low boost) and would have most likely ran a 60-130 in 6.0 on higher boost. My GTR ran a 4.6 60-130 and has propelled itself through the 1/4 mile in 9.79@ 146 mph in FULL weight, wing in place, on the 20" wheels. It has ran a 0-60 in 2.7 and a 0-100 in 5.1. Even if my Gallardo were strapped to a Veyron it wouldn't be able to pull those times. Braking is similar in both cars, handling in the GTR is more flat and planted, and steering response is a tad better in the GTR, too. As far as high speed stability, I have yet to experience something as stable as the Gallardo, but then again, I am not doing 200 mph pulls on the HWY like I used to a few years ago. I guess wisdom progresses with age. In this category, it is the GTR all day and twice on Sunday's.

Comfort: The Gallardo is a comfortable supercar, probably one of the most capable DD exotic, but it is not as comfortable to drive as the Nissan, and I wouldn't expect it to be. One is an Exotic, the other is an Altima. Not much to say here. GTR wins

Interior: As far as interior layout, the GTR wins hands down. The interior layout and ergonomics of my Gallardo felt ancient in comparison to the GTR ( I mean the car has a cassate player), but the GTR falls short in the lack of use of leather. It has some leather here and there, but the Gallardo is covered with leather. Only problem is that the Gallardo leather felt like it was made in a Fischer Price store. The seats crack fast, the door panel leather by the window sills crack even faster, and you got A pillars coming loose (which was an issue that the dealer told me is common). GTR wins

Technology: No contest. GTR wins.

In conclusion, as far as driving dynamics and the car itself, I feel that the GTR is the much better overall car and drastically ahead of the Gallardo.

So far, you are probably thinking.....man, this guy likes his GTR 100x more than his Gallardo. This is where the surprise comes in......

The issue with the GTR despite the fact that IMO it is better than the Gallardo in almost EVERY way is that at the end of the day, it is a N I S S A N. I don't open the garage door at midnight before I go to sleep to look at the GTR. I don't look back at the GTR as I park it at a supermarket to remember how beautiful the car is that takes my breath away. I don't clean the GTR every 2nd day because I want to flaunt it's lines and beauty to the world. And lastly, I don't have that emotional connection with the GTR that I did with the Gallardo. The Gallardo makes you feel special, like a rockstart living the dream. It makes you feel euphoric, and every time you start the car, you smile. I don't do any of these thing with the GTR.

So, what is my overall recommendation??? Well, I won't be able to give you one because till this day, I can't make up my mind which car I would rather have. What I can tell you for sure is that the GTR is the best ass kicking car I have ever owned, and I LOVE this car!! But I won't disregard the fact that the Gallardo is the car that has captured me emotionally like no other car I have ever owned.

Good luck my friend..=)

THANKS!

Yes, '08 SL's have been the hottest G out there as far as resale the last 6-9 months. Nice low mileage ones could be had for 135k or so a couple of years ago, and this year 150k was a good buy, as Fikse said. All of the G's rebounded some after the big dip due to the financial crisis, but the SL's have really been in demand lately.

Sheesh I thought the G SLs were around 130 or so. I guess i'll just stick to the regular old G.

Also thanks for the valuable information. This is one of my main concerns. If I go with a UR Stage 1 build or even stage 1.5, will it be enough or will it be a waste of my time and money? I need something that will blow me away. It doesn't have to be a world beater but id like it to be one of the fastest around and to really give me that speed sensation. What power level is worth it with these cars? I run E85 so it will be on kill mode all the time...is the stage 2 1150whp kit good or does the stage 3 make all the difference with the extra power and larger turbos?...or do I need to cough up an easy 100k+ for the R build to appreciate the G?

thanks man!

Salvatore,

Let me give you my opinion on this matter given that I have owned a TT Gallardo making 700 awhp, and a modded GTR now making 800 whp. My write up below is going to be based on MY CARS, not anyone else, not how I would feel if my Gallardo had another 100 whp or if it were an SL, etc. MY CARS...Ok, here it goes...

Performance: Not even in the same realm. First of all, you are comparing a stick shift, traditional manual trans to the top of the line, modern technology DCT. If you’re a die-hard performance fan, you will miss the DCT (especially one in the GTR) when faced with a manual day in and day out. As far as numbers, again, not even in the same league. My Gallardo ran a best of 60-130 in 6.4 secs (low boost) and would have most likely ran a 60-130 in 6.0 on higher boost. My GTR ran a 4.6 60-130 and has propelled itself through the 1/4 mile in 9.79@ 146 mph in FULL weight, wing in place, on the 20" wheels. It has ran a 0-60 in 2.7 and a 0-100 in 5.1. Even if my Gallardo were strapped to a Veyron it wouldn't be able to pull those times. Braking is similar in both cars, handling in the GTR is more flat and planted, and steering response is a tad better in the GTR, too. As far as high speed stability, I have yet to experience something as stable as the Gallardo, but then again, I am not doing 200 mph pulls on the HWY like I used to a few years ago. I guess wisdom progresses with age. In this category, it is the GTR all day and twice on Sunday's.

Comfort: The Gallardo is a comfortable supercar, probably one of the most capable DD exotic, but it is not as comfortable to drive as the Nissan, and I wouldn't expect it to be. One is an Exotic, the other is an Altima. Not much to say here. GTR wins

Interior: As far as interior layout, the GTR wins hands down. The interior layout and ergonomics of my Gallardo felt ancient in comparison to the GTR ( I mean the car has a cassate player), but the GTR falls short in the lack of use of leather. It has some leather here and there, but the Gallardo is covered with leather. Only problem is that the Gallardo leather felt like it was made in a Fischer Price store. The seats crack fast, the door panel leather by the window sills crack even faster, and you got A pillars coming loose (which was an issue that the dealer told me is common). GTR wins

Technology: No contest. GTR wins.

In conclusion, as far as driving dynamics and the car itself, I feel that the GTR is the much better overall car and drastically ahead of the Gallardo.

So far, you are probably thinking.....man, this guy likes his GTR 100x more than his Gallardo. This is where the surprise comes in......

The issue with the GTR despite the fact that IMO it is better than the Gallardo in almost EVERY way is that at the end of the day, it is a N I S S A N. I don't open the garage door at midnight before I go to sleep to look at the GTR. I don't look back at the GTR as I park it at a supermarket to remember how beautiful the car is that takes my breath away. I don't clean the GTR every 2nd day because I want to flaunt it's lines and beauty to the world. And lastly, I don't have that emotional connection with the GTR that I did with the Gallardo. The Gallardo makes you feel special, like a rockstart living the dream. It makes you feel euphoric, and every time you start the car, you smile. I don't do any of these thing with the GTR.

So, what is my overall recommendation??? Well, I won't be able to give you one because till this day, I can't make up my mind which car I would rather have. What I can tell you for sure is that the GTR is the best ass kicking car I have ever owned, and I LOVE this car!! But I won't disregard the fact that the Gallardo is the car that has captured me emotionally like no other car I have ever owned.

Good luck my friend..=)

Surprise ending! I did love my GTR but I don't think I LOVED it...I know what you mean. Maybe the exotic looks and special italian feel will be enough to justify buying a more expensive and dated (possibly inferior) platform.

Yes, '08 SL's have been the hottest G out there as far as resale the last 6-9 months. Nice low mileage ones could be had for 135k or so a couple of years ago, and this year 150k was a good buy, as Fikse said. All of the G's rebounded some after the big dip due to the financial crisis, but the SL's have really been in demand lately.

Yeah, figures...well the regular G isn't so bad, right? I didn't realize the price disparity.

I think Kisco summed it up pretty well. The GTR is going to be a NICE car for sure. Maybe a bit more comfortable and tolerable to live with everyday...possibly even easier to drive/maneuver, but it's not near the cool factor as a Lambo. You will appreciate the Lamborghini much more.

A SL is going to easily be in the 150-160 range. If it's something you can swing, I would definitely try to find one. The carbon fiber door skins and alcantara dash would make it even more of an experience and joy to drive, and really make you feel like you are in something special.

Alright guys, thank you very much for all of the wonderful feedback.

My final question is if a Underground Racing Stage 1.5 is worth it (look at it from my perspective of previously owning a 700whp+ GTR) or do I have to step up to a higher level and if so, why and what Stage will make me happy?

Thanks