Detailers in Austin?

el_chorizo

Looking to get the Cayenne fully detailed and get some of the swirl marks removed from the black paint. Does anyone know any reputable, good shops in the Austin area?

IF you're looking for bang for the buck detailer, the guys at Whitakers are really good.

If you're looking for ultra high-end detailing, I haven't found any mobile detailers worth a flip. I've tried. I'll give Jaysfolly's recommendations a try

IF you're looking for bang for the buck detailer, the guys at Whitakers are really good.

If you're looking for ultra high-end detailing, I haven't found any mobile detailers worth a flip. I've tried. I'll give Jaysfolly's recommendations a try

the guy that does our cars, a friend of mine does things to paint that are just incredible. His name is Nick Oakes of Oakes Detailing. His prices are reasonable, however he is in Philly area (I am sure if you guys got a few TX cars together he may make the trip out). The paint corrections he does leave people speechless, I cant think of any other way to put it haha.

here is an IB M5 that had NASTY orange peel:

before:

23vdoc0.jpg

during:

zvx2s3.jpg

after: (i said he was good didnt i!)

2dj0v8k.jpg

the guy that does our cars, a friend of mine does things to paint that are just incredible. His name is Nick Oakes of Oakes Detailing. His prices are reasonable, however he is in Philly area (I am sure if you guys got a few TX cars together he may make the trip out). The paint corrections he does leave people speechless, I cant think of any other way to put it haha.

here is an IB M5 that had NASTY orange peel:

Amazing work. I wonder how much of the clearcoat is gone after a treatment like that.

Amazing work. I wonder how much of the clearcoat is gone after a treatment like that.

I passed your question along, as I was curious as well. Here is his reply:

"only a 10 micron difference on a car reading an average micron depth of 350"

David -

Can you ask Nick Oakes how he gets rid of that orange peel so well? Would you use a polish (Megs 105/205 and orange pad or white pad?) like you would for swirls, or do you need to use a wool pad and something more aggressive?

David -

Can you ask Nick Oakes how he gets rid of that orange peel so well? Would you use a polish (Megs 105/205 and orange pad or white pad?) like you would for swirls, or do you need to use a wool pad and something more aggressive?

Nick said:

"To get the results that I achieved on the M5, the paint was fully prepped as it would have been normally for a "Standard" paint correction:

- Full citrus degrease Foam down

- wash

- rinse

- Clay the entire vehicle

- rewashIronX

- let settle for up to 5 minutes

- rewash with the ironx still on the vehicle

- Full rinse

- MF dry

- air out the seams/edges and so forth

- fully wipe down with Isopropyl Alcohol

After all the edges/seams were masked off, the paint readings were measured and inspected. Test panel was done with 2000 grit to see the results, undesirable. Moved to 1500 which was much more effective but some areas of the car needed to be done in 1000 grit sand paper and then followed up with 1500, 2500 and 3000 grits. Then compounded using M95 to really get the sanding marks leveled and removed, followed with M105 and PFW, then IPAd, followed with M205 and orange, IPA'd again, finished with Menz106FA on Black.

Rewashed, IPA'd again and then the ceramic coating was applied in consistent temperatures around 70 degrees under heatlamps.

Its a very aggressive and involved process, that should only be done by experienced professionals. This is definitely a process that can severely damage the vehicle if not done properly. To remove swirling and surface defects, the sanding should not be necessary depending on the severity of the damage. However, to remove orange peel, buffing alone will simply not do the trick depending on how soft/hard the paint it. With factory paint from Lamborghini/BMW/Mercedes/Aston Martin/BMW/Bentley and similar...standard polishing wont do the trick. .

Jesus christ. I'm good with a buffer and orange pad with 105/205, but I'm not going to attempt any wetsanding. lol

Thanks for getting all the details though, David. I like the prep process and might try the alcohol next time I'm doing some weekend detailing. For some reason it relaxes me.

Tell Nick thanks too!