Need advice from experienced Diablo drivers...

Andrew R.

OK.. some stupid questions/thoughts (obviously I need more time below the wheel of the Diablo... I am still way use to driving a viper, but just looking for some driving tips)

-how the heck does the Diablo run around a 4 second 0-60mph as tall as first gear is?

I ran with a pack of Vipers last night and at low speeds I just didnt have nearly as much pull as they did until I got up to 40-50MPH... seems like the power band is small, as soon as I was making good power it was time to shift and then I was way below the power band again...

It doesnt seem like the car makes any real power until the RPM's are way up there.....

In a Vt, from a roll, you'll have a very hard time with a Viper, if lets say your going 5mph and floor it, or you go off the line gently. The Vt will not hit hits powerband till about 4k, by this time the Viper with its tremendous torque is long gone. To race a Viper , you need to be going 30mph in 1 st gear, where you are in your sweet spot,and youve got a ways to go before you shift. If you know how to shift, you will get out on the Viper and hold your lead all the way through.

Yeah, I couldnt do ANYTHING to the Vipers (there were two, we were all lined up on a three lane road) until we were up to speed... once we were above 50mph I could pull on them without a problem... but below 50 they were leaving me pretty good.

I am pretty easy on my car though, too afraid to break it!

Dont be giving us a bad name out there. Then i gotta argue with the Viper guys on how they blow away Lambos. Your car will not break, it will run better. Learn to drive it, and the Viper guys will only see taillights.

Hahhaha dont worry Allan, I'll keep the lambo name in good street credit around here (although there arent too many motorcity lambos around, I do what I can). I hung out with a bunch of the motorcity Viper club memebers over the weekend, all of them gave lots of respect to the lambo... all most everyone of them said: "I have always thought about buying a lambo"

Although they pulled on me good off the line, you should have seen thier faces when we were up to speed... I caught back up and continued to leave them..

I have the K&N's, no cats, and a "Thermal Research & Development" exhaust. I think I need to get some headers next... what brand should I get? how much power do they add?

But yeah, I need some more time behind the wheel, my shifting isnt perfectly natural yet, my last three cars before the lambo were traditional pattern 6-speeds.

Allan is correct. I was thinking my car really sucked before I knew the powerband kicks in at 4k. beofre that its slow.

I noticed that too... sometimes when I start my car the fan is blowing and cold air is blowing out. Do you have to run the wire at the compressor itself or can you shut it off at the climate control unit in the middle console? Also can you really notice a power difference when it's shut off? why the heck did they make this compressor to be always running? It seems I have some work to do on my car.

Allan will have to answer that one, but I'm pretty sure it has to be done at the compressor. You can stop it if you match the climate control temp to the ambiant temp. If you match it on the money, neither the heater or A/C are on.

Allan .. was at Ultimate / Lambo Orlando yesterday - they said your gaskets to SP Eng are on their way....

I didn't see it posted, so I'll chime in.

Part of the reason the Diablo runs 0-60 so quick is BECAUSE first gear is so tall, which in essence, allows you to reach 60 mph without shifting.

Consider this: the fastest speed shifter dudes on the plant take at least .4 tenths of a second to effect a gear shift. An average person takes at least twice as long. When you're in the midst of a shift, you're not accelerating, you're slowing down.

In my Porsche 996TT, I once had it out to an event at Willow Springs for some speed trials for a TV show. With the car hooked up to measuring devices and radar tracking of the car, I did 0-60 in 3.8-4.1 seconds pretty consistently over 8 runs. That was with a 1-2 gear change. The best results in that AWD car came from a 5500 rpm clutch drop. The car was beastly fast from a dead stop and I waxed plently of modded WRX's, Evo's and Viper's.

wow vipers are sooo fast for so much less . thats a good bang for your buck . i saw a 18 years old kid driving a older model viper. he was pimping like crazy with sunglasses and all . even the older vettes guys cant touch this kid. it was strange seeing such a young kid in there. :shock:

What do you think of the new Plastic mess-06 for good bang for the buck? not that I would want purchase one. I do like the CL65 as it's very comfortable and not to mention fast for stock, imagine beefing it up. It never ends.... really I gave up trying to get the fastest car as always something more powerfull comes up. For me as long it's got power to pull over the majority of freeway cars and it's comfortable and handles great, I'm happy, oh of course has to look good too! I'm just getting older so my ideas of making a powerfull car uneccessary for the road is fading away and if I wanted to make a car fast for race purposes it would be a car that's expendable and my 99 would not fit that profile but my last car Ferrari was! it's gone!

I looked into the climate control system on the car, I dont understand why lamborghini decided to make it so its always on (I am an engineer in a climate control factory for one of the big three and all of our systems can be turned off at the control head, unlike this one).

So with the climate control system always being on, the a/c compressor clutch comes in and out as required to maintain the set temperature.