Don't you love flying commercial airlines?

abolfaz

I have been landed in Paris on an AirFrance flight back in 2005, as soon as we landed the emergency crews rushed out to the tarmac to our plane when we finally came to a stop. Come to find out there was a large crack in the glass of the cockpit which the aircraft maintenance team at LAX thought they could cover it up with a bunch out duct tape and it would be ok for the flight to Europe

being former aircraft maintenance myself; we were always told that screws could be missing as long as they weren't in the corners of the panels due to structural integrity. But 30+ DAMN!

WHAT?!

As a current pilot I find that hard to believe.

Who did you work for, what airframe, and how the fcuk do I make sure I never fly on anything that ever went through your hanger?

When I preflight my jet, sure we have a huge list of shit that can be broken and still fly (MEL) but missing screws in the wings or fuselage isn't on that list. Hell, if we have a missing knob in the cockpit we can't fly the jet because it might jam a control device (rudders, yoke, etc) and make the aircraft uncontrollable.

I have been landed in Paris on an AirFrance flight back in 2005, as soon as we landed the emergency crews rushed out to the tarmac to our plane when we finally came to a stop. Come to find out there was a large crack in the glass of the cockpit which the aircraft maintenance team at LAX thought they could cover it up with a bunch out duct tape and it would be ok for the flight to Europe

WHAT?!

As a current pilot I find that hard to believe.

Who did you work for, what airframe, and how the fcuk do I make sure I never fly on anything that ever went through your hanger?

When I preflight my jet, sure we have a huge list of shit that can be broken and still fly (MEL) but missing screws in the wings or fuselage isn't on that list. Hell, if we have a missing knob in the cockpit we can't fly the jet because it might jam a control device (rudders, yoke, etc) and make the aircraft uncontrollable.

Relieved to hear the check list is long and missing screws aren't on it.

Shouldn't the pilot have seen the duct taped windshield and said "this thing shouldn't fly across the pond...and can someone tell me why my windshield is held together with duct tape?" Duct tape on windshield and no one in the cockpit says anything?????

being former aircraft maintenance myself; we were always told that screws could be missing as long as they weren't in the corners of the panels due to structural integrity. But 30+ DAMN!

more important than the missing screws,,, where are they? FOD (foreign object damage) has brought down a lot of planes, and we have kept planes from leaving maint until items were found..

Relieved to hear the check list is long and missing screws aren't on it.

Shouldn't the pilot have seen the duct taped windshield and said "this thing shouldn't fly across the pond...and can someone tell me why my windshield is held together with duct tape?" Duct tape on windshield and no one in the cockpit says anything?????

There actually is such a thing as "high speed tape" that is approved for flight. Generally it is only for a one time flight to get to a location where it can be repaired and I can't imagine Part 135 operations would approve passengers on the aircraft.

more important than the missing screws,,, where are they? FOD (foreign object damage) has brought down a lot of planes, and we have kept planes from leaving maint until items were found..

True story. It's a huge deal. The Air Force lost their entire Thunderbirds demonstration team in 1981 flying T-38's when Lead's jet had FOD in the control column preventing him from pulling out of a loop. The 3 other wingman kept their eyes on Lead and didn't know they were going right into the ground, never knew what hit em.

T38-4holes-BW-UPI-2.jpg