Hummer H1 Owners.....

kmr

As title says. In the market for a project car and think an H1 would be sick!! Those that have owned one or know them. Gas? Diesel? Looking anywhere from 1998-2002 models. Some better than others? Updates along the way I should know of? Thanks for any input and look forward to posting pics soon.

In that era, get a 1998 Diesel. I drive my 2006 every day!!

Care to shed some light on why? There seem to be some nice 2000 Diesel's as well. This will be purely a shit and giggles car so dont want to spend the Alpha money.

Care to shed some light on why? There seem to be some nice 2000 Diesel's as well. This will be purely a shit and giggles car so dont want to spend the Alpha money.

Until the Alpha, the 1998's were the best of the Hummers.

1999 saw some significant changes for the Hummer. Government regulations required the Hummer (which is a class III Truck) to have ABS for the first time. Unfortunately the Torsen differentials and the Brake/Throttle Modulation (BTM) Technique that made them so effective off-road were not compatible with the required Anti-lock Braking System. The solution to keeping the Hummer's Off-road prowess and complying with the regulations was Torque Trac 4 or TT4. This electronic system preforms a version of BTM but without driver participation. When wheel spin is detected, brake is automatically applied to the spinning wheel and torque is transferred to the wheel with traction. The new Torsen II differential works much the same as the old Torsen but with less torque bias. Manual BTM still works on the '99 Hummers but is not as effective because of the lower torque bias.

The old system was better. The 1998 was the last model year with all the goods. If you want to off-road, you need to learn BTM. From 1998, the Hummer didn't improve till the Alpha, which was a massive improvement. I have a few cool cars, and I love driving. Nothing comes within a million miles to my H1. I love it so much. I tell my wife to make sure I am buried in it. Seriously. I love it that much. :icon_super:

Thanks for the info/insight. Really doubt I will ever take it offroad but you never know. Useful knowledge to know! Quite the statement being buried in yours but hey at least you will have plenty of room and a sick truck incase you need it for the rising of the dead or some shit. ha

RaginBull.... also when you say you drive yours daily is this like a short slow commute or any highway time? How are they on the highway? Ones I am looking at I am thinking about road tripping back. Thanks,

RaginBull.... also when you say you drive yours daily is this like a short slow commute or any highway time? How are they on the highway? Ones I am looking at I am thinking about road tripping back. Thanks,

aka....will we be able to stand 10 hours straight in the thing hahahaha

aka....will we be able to stand 10 hours straight in the thing hahahaha

I drive my hummer all over. Average 2 hours a day, 4 days a week. I drive longer rides to Hunter Mountain (5 hours), Maryland (4 hours), etc. I love it. I do enjoy the harder ride. The goodyear tires changed about a-year-and-a-half ago. They have kevlar side walls and are much more comfortable and quiet. I like rougher riding cars, hence Lamborghini, Hummer. I can drive it across the country, easily. But, I understand I am different then most people when it comes to that. I do not like comfortable (soft) cars at all. Bentley, Rolls, they bore me. Hummer's, Lamborghini's, and Go-karts, YES! That is what I am in to.

kmr.. I cant speak from too much personal experience, but my brother just got an H1 4 months ago. He bought it in Vegas and drove it back to Denver, Co. He freaking loved it, even though he was only cruising about 60mph the whole way. Like RaginBull, it is his daily driver, he averages anywhere from 40-200 miles per day in it.

Everything Ragin said about the H1 is spot on. I got to drive it for a short period and it is a fking blast to drive. I will definitely own one some day.

BTW. He has a 1997 H1 Wagon with the 6.5 turbo Diesel.

Thanks for the updates guys! Yeah I have no problem with a harsh ride, hence my drive from Orlando to Ohio to pickup my G. But just trying to get an idea. Hopefully pulling the trigger on one today so we will see!

Thanks for the updates guys! Yeah I have no problem with a harsh ride, hence my drive from Orlando to Ohio to pickup my G. But just trying to get an idea. Hopefully pulling the trigger on one today so we will see!

Good Luck!! Let us know!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Raj!!! Stormtrooper should be here monday evening!! Super excited!

untitled.jpg

Dude, that's looks awesome! Can't wait to see pics when you get it and hear your impressions.

Yeah after shopping for them I pretty much deteremined I would get about any color. Do love the white though. Will look great next to my skittle.

There is a highline dealer near me that has a bunch of H1's. I never seriously considered it until standing next to one; they're impressive! I'm going to drive a few and see how it goes. Everything I've heard says the Alpha is the way to go, if you can swing it. Is that what you have, RaginBull?

Thanks Raj!!! Stormtrooper should be here monday evening!! Super excited! [/img]

Killer truck!! I love it when someone asks for advice on something then actually follows through.

There is a highline dealer near me that has a bunch of H1's. I never seriously considered it until standing next to one; they're impressive! I'm going to drive a few and see how it goes. Everything I've heard says the Alpha is the way to go, if you can swing it. Is that what you have, RaginBull?

Killer truck!! I love it when someone asks for advice on something then actually follows through.

Hubbard auto center?

Dude, that's looks awesome! Can't wait to see pics when you get it and hear your impressions.

Steve is a good friend!! He loves Hummer H1's. He used to drive one every day. When I showed up to his place in mine he freaked!! A fellow Hummer enthusiast!!! Great person to buy it from. Are you local? I live pretty close to his spot.

Steve is a good friend!! He loves Hummer H1's. He used to drive one every day. When I showed up to his place in mine he freaked!! A fellow Hummer enthusiast!!! Great person to buy it from. Are you local? I live pretty close to his spot.

Ha small world! Yeah I dealt with him. Seemed like a great guy! I am in Ohio. Truck is picking it up on Sunday and should be here Monday evening. Wish I would have known you lived so close, would of had you go check it out. Ha. But I am confident in my purchase. Gonna be a long weekend now damn it!