Any Java developers here?

DickSimmons

I'm going to learn Java and was wondering if anyone knew of a good book. I know there are a million books out there and reading the documentation/syntax is easy enough, but I need something geared a bit more towards actually building stuff with it, structuring applications, building a good foundation of best practices etc. Since it takes a little bit for books to get to China, I'd like to pick a good one the first time around.

I'm definitely a novice, but have experience in low-level assembly for microprocessors etc.

There really aren't that many good ones, most of them are all pretty much the same in this case.

http://www.squidoo.com/javaresources

You're better off finding something for free. Many of the ones for documentation and syntax really don't go farther than that, but an online tutorial is probably a better bet.

Thanks. I've actually just decided to spend my time learning Rails. I think web applications are a better business these days and Rails should be way quicker and easier to do such things in than Java.