Cloudy Murci Headlights

michaelpua

My 3 year old LP640 was having cloudy headlights.

On further investigation, I found that it is not water vapour, but a white residue deposited by the HID lamp.

I find this clouding problem quite disturbing as it takes the edge out of the car, making it look old and unkept.

The dealer recommends a replacement of S$8k plus each. Ouch!!

Some research revealed that the headlights are completely sealed and difficult to open without breaking it somehow.

Through further research and actual tests, I have devised a cunning plan to shuck the headlights without applying any heat whatsoever, although a pair of very experienced & sensitive hands is critical with the help of some custom made tools.

After cleaning, the headlight looks brand new.

I took the opportunity to add some carbon fiber film which makes it look even better!!

I am willing to offer this service to fellow murci owners in my free time.

PM me for details.

Before.jpg

After.jpg

Carbon.jpg

Carbon_2.jpg

I have done this in the past to other cars and makes a lot of difference.

I also have a 3 year old Murci and my headlights are pretty clean on the inside, do you run with your lights on all the time?

Like the idea of the carbon and would like to see pictures when reinstalled.

Looking good.

Good Job !

I've not had this problem either...

Love the carbon, let's see the phots of them back in !

I do run the lights all the time, just because the car looks much better with them on as well as better visibility to other motorists for such a low/short car.

I'm sure the white residue is directly related to the usage of the lights, so it will gradually become apparent eventually.

I'm exploring a possible LED projector retrofit which could eliminate the souce of the problem altogether.

I also found that although the glass lens is totally sealed, there are several vent pipes at the bottom and top of the assembly to allow air circulation and moisture to escape.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally fitted the cleaned and glorified headlights back in my car.

Now thinking about other ideas to improve them the next time I open them to clean....

Just_in.jpg

Carbon_reflections.jpg

Looking_new_again.jpg

They look great, good job. Is that another Murci in the last picture, to the left?

Yup, another orange Murci whose got cloudy headlights....

He might get his done too....

• 3 weeks later...

After 55k miles, besides the fogging my lenses have taken numerous hits to the exterior surface and they are scratched/pitted etc. Anyway to polish or ? to remove the surface issues?

After 55k miles, besides the fogging my lenses have taken numerous hits to the exterior surface and they are scratched/pitted etc. Anyway to polish or ? to remove the surface issues?

Yes you can polish out the defects. A mild polish and elbow grease or a mild polish a white pad and a buffer on a mid-range setting

Very Nice, thanks for sharing.

aehaas

They look great! I took apart the lights in my G and a few other cars in the past. Some cars are easier than others, but it is always intimidating. Nice work!

The glass lens is basically sealed all round with silicon sealant. The idea is to be able to slice all the way through the grooved mating profile between the glass lens and plastic body.

I had to design a special tool CNC machined from spring steel.

Takes 3 mins to open the light, but another 20mins to thoroughly remove the old sealant.

Then another 30mins to polish out the white residue on the inside. Strangely no solvents work to any significant effect.

Resealing has to be done in a very clean and dust free environment.

Not a simple task, i'd say.

Went through 3 sets to finally get it right with no breakage or scratches on the glass, ouch...

• 2 weeks later...
The glass lens is basically sealed all round with silicon sealant. The idea is to be able to slice all the way through the grooved mating profile between the glass lens and plastic body.

Takes 3 mins to open the light, but another 20mins to thoroughly remove the old sealant.

Then another 30mins to polish out the white residue on the inside. Strangely no solvents work to any significant effect.

Went through 3 sets to finally get it right with no breakage or scratches on the glass, ouch...

Can you tell us more about the carbon fibre housing? Looks great!

Can you post a picture of the tool you made? Thanks.