Carbon Fiber HRE Wheels x UGR Twin Turbo Gallardo

LON@HRE

Some more awesome shots of Underground Racing Twin Turbo cars. This time is a matte black Lamborghini Gallardo on a set of real deal rare carbon fiber HRE CF43. Brad Stillwell really knows how to capture the beauty of these beasts.

See the full photo set, CLICK HERE

6986547344_ce3fe2ea75_b.jpg

Lamborghini Gallardo Matte Black HRE CF43 Carbon by HRE Wheels, on Flickr

7132631555_72e365f053_b.jpg

7132631509_8c35f1183f_b.jpg

7132631803_425373bb81_b.jpg

6986547214_295548f31a_b.jpg

6986547182_2af10d7039_b.jpg

6986547140_4e4cba287f_b.jpg

7132631625_86ee8029ed_b.jpg

6986546742_c9e7b83588_b.jpg

6986546662_05894326e6_b.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
So you put carbon fiber wheels on a car that pushes over 1000hp?? Does anyone else think thats a bad idea?

looks good though.

There have been quite a few UR cars with over 1k whp running these wheels (including mine), and I haven't heard of any issues yet.

So you put carbon fiber wheels on a car that pushes over 1000hp?? Does anyone else think thats a bad idea?

looks good though.

You would be amazed at the strength of carbon fiber. It's so insanely deceptive. A friend of mine runs and owns a local composites shop. He designs parts for everything from cars to planes to wheel chairs. There was recently a test they put one of these little tubes for a part he was making through a stress tests. The previous people who had a design withheld about 75lbs of force before it snapped. This THIN tube felt solid as a ROCK, maybe 4 layers, 5 layers. Somewhere around that. His test held up against about 150, double what the other design had stood up against prior. That means basically I could hang off of it and it wouldn't have broken. Impressive. This teeny tiny little tube.

Now imagine making a near solid part out of carbon fiber in a very precise manner, very thick, more layers than that and the strength goes up exponentially.

It really feels like you should be able to tap it on a table and break it. It's so light. It FEELS fragile but it is most definitely not. It takes a lot to bust something super thick and well designed if the process is down pat. I made heel guards for my Ducati out of pre-preg and even in very hard pinches, pressing down on them hard through corners, the force of me pushing down on it, feels fine. No issues.

The largest part of the strength comes from crossing the weaves. If you were to take a piece of carbon cloth and try and stretch it you'd notice that you could pull it easily one way, but not another. So if you lay that down on an object and put down resin, cure it, with the right force applied, that material would easily fail one way, but not another or bend one and not the other.

BUT, as cloth is laid down cross wise (opposite) layer upon layer, that strength goes up. So imagine a thick object out of CF, 7 layers or 8 layers thick with layers crossed and cured. It would be about as thick as your finger potentially and would be ridiculously strong. You would need a LOT of force to break it.

If I recall there was a guy who made a table out of carbon fiber. Thickness of a normal wooden table. I don't know how you'd break it.

Anyway...

Those wheels look awesome :) Less rotational mass is ALWAYS a good thing.