Race Gas in the Aventador

RaginBull

I am waiting for the Aventador roadster to decide which to tt (or start with since I hear its addictive). Thanks

Heff twin turbo , nice...... Might even be fast enought for Allan.

That is why I asked.

I also asked because I know they run higher octane in europe, so I thought maybe it would be better. Kevin from URG sent me a PM educating me and the other responses have as well. I read some stuff on another forum that must be very incorrect.

You asked a reasonable question - my response was intended towards those who gave you bad information as a response

That is why I asked.

because I know they run higher octane in europe

Not true, they are measured differently. Europe 95 = US 91, Europe 98 = US 93.

RON= Reaserch Octane Number. (Used in Europe and elswhere in gas stations)

MON= Motor Octane Number.

AKI= Anti-Knock Index. This is the number that is posted on the gas station in the USA as "Octane". It is derived as (RON + MON)/2

Heff twin turbo , nice...... Might even be fast enought for Allan.

Does Heff make a 700 kit?

Just keep pumping super unleaded in it, anything else is a waste.

Unless you work for the US government, in that case, waste away.

You can run 100 octane just to make sure that if you get some bad pump gas, you'll still be maximizing the engine's potential. On a high compression engine such as the Aventador's, the engine calibration is very sensitive to detonation, so by running the 100 octane, you'll ensure that the engine is running optimally.

Just be sure not to run leaded gas as it will destroy your oxygen sensors and actually make the car slower. Just as Kevin mentioned, race gas takes longer to burn so you will actually make the car slower as you'll throw the engine calibration off as it's not programmed to compensate such a drastic amount.

Thank you. That is what I was hoping to do. I appreciate your response!

You asked a reasonable question - my response was intended towards those who gave you bad information as a response

Sorry, I misunderstood. :icon_pidu:

Not true, they are measured differently. Europe 95 = US 91, Europe 98 = US 93.

RON= Reaserch Octane Number. (Used in Europe and elswhere in gas stations)

MON= Motor Octane Number.

AKI= Anti-Knock Index. This is the number that is posted on the gas station in the USA as "Octane". It is derived as (RON + MON)/2

I never knew that. Thank You! Very useful info that I am sure many others were confused by as well.

RaginBull have you decided on the color for your roadster yet?

I am leaning towards Yellow since my wife likes it and it will look good with the orange one. But, I am keeping an open mind since there may be some new colors I hear. 2 new colors is what I am hearing.

I am leaning towards Yellow since my wife likes it and it will look good with the orange one. But, I am keeping an open mind since there may be some new colors I hear. 2 new colors is what I am hearing.

Yellow would be an amazing color for it. Has anyone ordered a Rosso Vik Aventador yet? I haven't seen one.

Yellow would be an amazing color for it. Has anyone ordered a Rosso Vik Aventador yet? I haven't seen one.

I am also considering the Aventador J red.

• 2 weeks later...

I got Lamborghini's blessing on running 100 octane unleaded. I filled up 100 octane Sunoco 260 unleaded Last night on my way to the beach. It drove fast before and still does. Great fun!

I got Lamborghini's blessing on running 100 octane unleaded. I filled up 100 octane Sunoco 260 unleaded Last night on my way to the beach. It drove fast before and still does. Great fun!

Good to hear.

What most people do when they're looking from the most out of a car is to begin datalogging and let the car tell them what it wants. Get a scanner that allows you to view parameters such as ignition timing and knock retard. Intake air temps and MAF flow are nice to have as well. This may be done as simply with a $20 eBay bluetooth unit, or it may require a factoryish diagnostic tool. You may have to try a few different ones on your car to see which will give you the data you're looking for.You simply want the lowest octane fuel that doesn't create spark knock, which causes the ECU to pull timing as a result. Any higher octane is just a waste, as others here have said. You can then move on to things like modifying the air inlet system for lower air temps and more flow., or trying different exhaust systems. The gains you can track via airflow through the MAF sensors.

In addition, if you manage to piss the car off and get a check engine light you'll be able to read the code and reset it

Here's a generic example of the software/hardware used. (This is NOT an endorsement for this product!)

http://laplogger.com/

It's a fun and addictive slippery slope. I used to spend hours experimenting and finding tiny gains everywhere in a car without any real bolt on mods and the sum of all the little gains made the car more crisp and rewarding overall.

Good luck!

Good to hear.

What most people do when they're looking from the most out of a car is to begin datalogging and let the car tell them what it wants. Get a scanner that allows you to view parameters such as ignition timing and knock retard. Intake air temps and MAF flow are nice to have as well. This may be done as simply with a $20 eBay bluetooth unit, or it may require a factoryish diagnostic tool. You may have to try a few different ones on your car to see which will give you the data you're looking for.You simply want the lowest octane fuel that doesn't create spark knock, which causes the ECU to pull timing as a result. Any higher octane is just a waste, as others here have said. You can then move on to things like modifying the air inlet system for lower air temps and more flow., or trying different exhaust systems. The gains you can track via airflow through the MAF sensors.

In addition, if you manage to piss the car off and get a check engine light you'll be able to read the code and reset it

Here's a generic example of the software/hardware used. (This is NOT an endorsement for this product!)

http://laplogger.com/

It's a fun and addictive slippery slope. I used to spend hours experimenting and finding tiny gains everywhere in a car without any real bolt on mods and the sum of all the little gains made the car more crisp and rewarding overall.

Good luck!

Thank you! Great info.

My original intent was to run the highest quality gasoline through my engines. All my cars that I drive are exotics and I wanted to upgrade the quality and be able to fill at home (less Hummer which is diesel). When ever I fill up I get a crowd in the Aventador. People start circling around, taking pics, getting close to the car with keys in their hands and what not. I do not mind letting people see my car, but usually when I am fueling I am on my way somewhere and don't have time. Also, they always seem to have keys in their hands and get dangerously close. I have property managers for my houses and I have an employee who can go get my gas cans filled and keep my tanks topped off for me right at my house. No more need to stop for fuel as often. So, the kid who does that for me lives 2 miles from a Sunoco that sells race fuel. I figured I would want to put the highest quality in that I can. I bought a bunch of VP racing cans, and so far it has worked out great. I do not notice any performance difference at all with 100 octane. My hope was just to run the best gas I can. I am getting a few more cars over the next couple years (including an Aventador Roadster), so having a fueling solution at home works well for me. Maybe I will just fill them with Shell 93 octane, but filling at home has been great.

I love showing the car to kids when they are accompanied by their parents, I like letting them take pictures and get an experience from it. I just have not liked the gas station crowds ever, and it has been the worst so far in the Aventador.

Filling up at home in an exotic is great. I did it for a couple of years with my TTG. I still have a bunch of VP MS109 and C16 race fuel that I have no use for, haha.