Race Gas in the Aventador

RaginBull

A Sunoco near one of my offices now carries race gas! I ordered (16) 5 gallon VP jugs and plan to fill them and use race gas exclusively in my Aventador. It is a little far to drive to fill up every time, so I want to always have it in stock at home.

I plan to call Lambo service and get an answer from them tomorrow, but I think I would get better info here. Do I need to change anything / raise the compression? I understand if I do that I have to run it with race gas exclusively, which I plan to do, so that wouldn't be a problem. Anyone know the answer? Can I just fill up and get benefits or do I have to raise the compression to get it? Thanks!

Rob (GBGallardo) runs race gas in his GTT I believe. Obviously it has had extensive modifications done to it but I would imagine that just the change in Octane would provide a performance boost to the Aventador.

I am not sure on what changes you would or should make to maximize the performance. Would be interesting to hear what you find out.

Im not sure you will see much of a performance gain if any by running race fuel. Your car is completely stock. Now if you start to modify your car pending what you do, you may see a gain then.

Typically when running race gas you raise the compression to receive the benefits. I think the more advanced tt builders like UGR and Heffner have a controller built in to adjust the compression for different types of gas. I am interested to hear what I need to do (hopefully nothing)!

Raise the compression? You mean you're gonna bore out the motor? This isn't something you change by plugging in a laptop LOL.

Typically when running race gas you raise the compression to receive the benefits. I think the more advanced tt builders like UGR and Heffner have a controller built in to adjust the compression for different types of gas. I am interested to hear what I need to do (hopefully nothing)!

You can not control compression, as that is in the actual physical engine build through the pistons and rods.

You are thinking of boost (PSI/BAR) for a turbo car or supercharger car. That is controllable through a boost controller on turbo cars only.

You are wasting your time and money.. Ugr and Heffner make Twin turbo cars, race gas allows them to turn up the boost..

I never understood why people comment on things they clearly do not know about. The downside of showing utter ignorance is much larger than any potential positive...

Listen to Allan on this one.

A Sunoco near one of my offices now carries race gas! I ordered (16) 5 gallon VP jugs and plan to fill them and use race gas exclusively in my Aventador. It is a little far to drive to fill up every time, so I want to always have it in stock at home.

I plan to call Lambo service and get an answer from them tomorrow, but I think I would get better info here. Do I need to change anything / raise the compression? I understand if I do that I have to run it with race gas exclusively, which I plan to do, so that wouldn't be a problem. Anyone know the answer? Can I just fill up and get benefits or do I have to raise the compression to get it? Thanks!

Can't hurt but it's a waste of time in a stock NA engine. Raising the compression.....? Interested in what Lamborghini service has to say about that. Ha.

Hardcore naturally aspirated builds have seen benefits with using race gas, but that is typically with 13:1 or 14:1 compression ratio builds. You will gain next to nothing on a stock engine

The stock ecu will detect the higher octane fuel and adjust the afr according to the stock mapping, so you won't be getting any more power. You might see more power if the mapping was retuned, but even then there probably won't be much of a difference.

You can not control compression, as that is in the actual physical engine build through the pistons and rods.

You are thinking of boost (PSI/BAR) for a turbo car or supercharger car. That is controllable through a boost controller on turbo cars only.

I forgot to add boring and or stroking an engine will effect compression, again you will need to add new pistons, rods and basically do an engine build at that point

All modern cars have a knock sensor which retards the ignition if it senses lower octane fuel. That's what they can alter through software.

You are wasting your time and money.. Ugr and Heffner make Twin turbo cars, race gas allows them to turn up the boost..

That is the plan.

Hey everyone, I am not a mechanic or engineer. I get it. :eusa_wall: :icon_mrgreen:

Race gas will so the car way down. Burns to slow for your stock setup. Waste of time, performance and money.

I am waiting for the Aventador roadster to decide which to tt (or start with since I hear its addictive). Thanks

I never understood why people comment on things they clearly do not know about. The downside of showing utter ignorance is much larger than any potential positive...

:iamwithstupid:

I had a good laugh this morning reading some of the responses to this thread.

That is why I asked.

I also asked because I know they run higher octane in europe, so I thought maybe it would be better. Kevin from URG sent me a PM educating me and the other responses have as well. I read some stuff on another forum that must be very incorrect.

I am waiting for the Aventador roadster to decide which to tt (or start with since I hear its addictive). Thanks

You can run 100 octane just to make sure that if you get some bad pump gas, you'll still be maximizing the engine's potential. On a high compression engine such as the Aventador's, the engine calibration is very sensitive to detonation, so by running the 100 octane, you'll ensure that the engine is running optimally.

Just be sure not to run leaded gas as it will destroy your oxygen sensors and actually make the car slower. Just as Kevin mentioned, race gas takes longer to burn so you will actually make the car slower as you'll throw the engine calibration off as it's not programmed to compensate such a drastic amount.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but couldn't he shave the head or run a thinner head gasket to raise the compression for much cheaper than changing pistons? If he did this, in addition to full bolt-ons, and a tune, he could see decent gains and make use of the race gas.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but couldn't he shave the head or run a thinner head gasket to raise the compression for much cheaper than changing pistons? If he did this, in addition to full bolt-ons, and a tune, he could see decent gains and make use of the race gas.

Thats pretty much a hillbilly approach and not the proper course on a motor of this caliber. Doing either one would require clearancing the pistons for the valves, changes the distance between the overhead cams and the crank pulley (timing gear), can alter the alignment of the intake manifold, blah blah blah.

If you want more compression you build the whole motor around that premise. Beyond that, going from 12:1 up to even 13:1 will be such a minimal change for the $$$ spent you would feel like a retard at the end of the day.

As Kevin pointed out, Octane is an equation on how quickly the fuel burns and it's pressures to self ignite under compression. Running 116 in a motor designed for 91 will actually reduce the hp and all the lead will not be kind to the sensors.

The plus side is your cars exhaust will never smell better.