Rod bearings for 82 LP 5000S

johnmh

Alas, with the new rods and stock sized big end bearings, the clearances are about double the suggested .0015" amount. So it looks like a crank regrind and a oversize (undersized?) set of bearings are needed (still waiting to measure the crank main bearings, I may need them too).

Anyone know a source? I have emailed eurospares and am waiting for a response but they do not list them on the website.

Best to all.

John

Alas, with the new rods and stock sized big end bearings, the clearances are about double the suggested .0015" amount. So it looks like a crank regrind and a oversize (undersized?) set of bearings are needed (still waiting to measure the crank main bearings, I may need them too).

Anyone know a source? I have emailed eurospares and am waiting for a response but they do not list them on the website.

Best to all.

John

I see this guy selling them on ebay all the time. Best of luck, Vic

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LAMBORGHINI-ISLERO...cf4&vxp=mtr

I see this guy selling them on ebay all the time. Best of luck, Vic

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LAMBORGHINI-ISLERO...cf4&vxp=mtr

That's Jacques. I have bought several times from him. Great tranactions. Call him to get even better pricing. He was very reasonable.

It's kind of a blessing that he actually makes a lot of parts.

Chinese Bearings...certainly NOT Vandervell :eusa_naughty:

Paul

Although I have no affiliation with this seller and advise people to do their own due diligence.

One might ask why you might suspect that these are made in China?

If you have proof please share it with the group as we are trying to help not hinder efforts.

Mahle (Pistons) owns Vandervell Bearings which have not had a run of the Lambo original type V-12 motor rod or main bearings in 17 or 18 years.

As for the Chinese Connection…ask Maserati Source, I am sure they/he will tell you, it’s not a secret. :)

Paul

Although I have no affiliation with this seller and advise people to do their own due diligence.

One might ask why you might suspect that these are made in China?

If you have proof please share it with the group as we are trying to help not hinder efforts.

Mahle (Pistons) owns Vandervell Bearings which have not had a run of the Lambo original type V-12 motor rod or main bearings in 17 or 18 years.

As for the Chinese Connection…ask Maserati Source, I am sure they/he will tell you, it’s not a secret. :)

Paul

Paul

I have no affiliation with Maserati Source.

I also have no way of telling if the bearings are OEM or a Chinese take off unless I have them in my hands. However if I had them in my possession I can guarantee you that I would be able to determine if they are manufactured by Mahle / Glacier Vandervell.

If you are correct and they a Chinese take off then I would not recommend buying them.

As far as your statement that Mahle has not had a run of the original type type V-12 motor rod or main bearings in 17 or 18 years.

I have several emails with the factory located in Trento, Italy that suggest otherwise. These bearing are still produced by them exclusively for Lamborghini.

For the record I know just about every God Damn fact and detail about Lamborghini bearings manufactured by Mahle / Glacier Vandervell as it was the basis of my lawsuit against the asshat mechanic that f_cked up the engine rebuild in my Countach five years ago.

Sincerely Vic

I am perplexed…if as you say, the bearings are available from Lamborghini…why would you not mention that to John Mh…to save him the trouble ? :eusa_think:

Also, just out of curiosity… If I ground off the Vandervell markings and gave you that bearing and say a Clevite 77 with similar journal size and tang configuration…how would you know which was which ?

Paul

Paul

I have no affiliation with Maserati Source.

I also have no way of telling if the bearings are OEM or a Chinese take off unless I have them in my hands. However if I had them in my possession I can guarantee you that I would be able to determine if they are manufactured by Mahle / Glacier Vandervell.

If you are correct and they a Chinese take off then I would not recommend buying them.

As far as your statement that Mahle has not had a run of the original type type V-12 motor rod or main bearings in 17 or 18 years.

I have several emails with the factory located in Trento, Italy that suggest otherwise. These bearing are still produced by them exclusively for Lamborghini.

For the record I know just about every God Damn fact and detail about Lamborghini bearings manufactured by Mahle / Glacier Vandervell as it was the basis of my lawsuit against the asshat mechanic that f_cked up the engine rebuild in my Countach five years ago.

Sincerely Vic

I am perplexed…if as you say, the bearings are available from Lamborghini…why would you not mention that to John Mh…to save him the trouble ? :eusa_think:

Also, just out of curiosity… If I ground off the Vandervell markings and gave you that bearing and say a Clevite 77 with similar journal size and tang configuration…how would you know which was which ?

Paul

I mentioned the ones on ebay because I saw them time after time for what I believed was a very reasonable price.

Why did I not mention going direct to Lamborghini?

Because quite simply put Lamborghini technical and parts support can be a real challenge sometimes both in cost, knowledge and accuracy. Plus I do not have the associated Lamborghini part numbers only the Mahle numbers. The Mahle numbers are not going to mean to shit anyone in a Lamborghini parts department.

As far as identifying the bearings after you ground off the Vandervell logo.

It's a trick question, as Glacier Vandervell is now owned by Mahle, which is in turn owned by Clevite 77.

However as long as you did not grind off the part number I could still ID it and identify it as a Glacier Vandervell bearing manufactured at Glacier Vandervell Italy s.r.l. Via Bepi Todesca 12, 38100 Trento, Italy exclusively for Lamborghini.

To cut to the chase if the bearings on ebay do not have the Vandervell trade mark shown below on them, then I would not trust them.

vandervell_big_end_shells_web.jpg

Finally to assist John in trying to find the first oversized set bearings for his engine, the correct Mahle part numbers are as follows:

14-20690

14-20692

14-20706

14-20708

14-20712

The above listed bearings are 0.005" oversized.

I do not have the Lamborghini part numbers for these however they are still made contrary to what Paul has said.

PS: Order your bearings first and send them out with the crank and rods prior to machining.

Sincerely Vic

Some comments here…The Clevite Trademark is owned by Dana and Mahle is owned by the Mahle Foundation.

Bearing Crush: When the main or rod cap is put in position, the ends of the bearing inserts butt up against one another before the cap actually seats against the block/rod. In this position, the inside diameter of the bearing will be slightly greater when measured between the centers of the inserts than when measured between the two ends of either insert. The difference between these two diameters is the bearing crush.

Bearing Spread: The difference between the diameter of a bearing insert when measured at the ends prior to assembly, and after assembly into the bearing bore. The bearing is snapped into position as a result of the spread.

Why are these factors important…because shitty bearings have a backplate that does not conform when inserted in the caps…as a result the “thinwall bearings” pioneered by Tony Vandervell (originally layers of such metals as lead, tin and antimony)…are not able to maintain their “shape” and fail to maintain the critical oil film necessary for proper lubrication in high RPM motors.

Almost any bearing will work in a low RPM lawn mower, but decidedly less so in a heavily mechanically loaded “performance motor". :rolleyes:

Paul

I mentioned the ones on ebay because I saw them time after time for what I believed was a very reasonable price.

Because quite simply put Lamborghini technical and parts support can be a real challenge sometimes both in cost, knowledge and accuracy. Plus I do not have the associated Lamborghini part numbers only the Mahle numbers. The Mahle numbers are not going to mean to shit anyone in a Lamborghini parts department.

It's a trick question, as Glacier Vandervell is now owned by Mahle, which is in turn owned by Clevite 77.

However as long as you did not grind off the part number I could still ID it and identify it as a Glacier Vandervell bearing manufactured at Glacier Vandervell Italy s.r.l. Via Bepi Todesca 12, 38100 Trento, Italy exclusively for Lamborghini.

To cut to the chase if the bearings on ebay do not have the Vandervell trade mark shown below on them, then I would not trust them.

post-652-1346439735.jpg

Finally to assist John in trying to find the first oversized set bearings for his engine, the correct Mahle part numbers are as follows:

14-20690

14-20692

14-20706

14-20708

14-20712

I do not have the Lamborghini part numbers for these however they are still made contrary to what Paul has said.

PS: Order your bearings first and send them out with the crank and rods prior to machining.

Sincerely Vic

Some comments here…The Clevite Trademark is owned by Dana and Mahle is owned by the Mahle Foundation.

Bearing Crush: When the main or rod cap is put in position, the ends of the bearing inserts butt up against one another before the cap actually seats against the block/rod. In this position, the inside diameter of the bearing will be slightly greater when measured between the centers of the inserts than when measured between the two ends of either insert. The difference between these two diameters is the bearing crush.

Bearing Spread: The difference between the diameter of a bearing insert when measured at the ends prior to assembly, and after assembly into the bearing bore. The bearing is snapped into position as a result of the spread.

Why are these factors important…because shitty bearings have a backplate that does not conform when inserted in the caps…as a result the “thinwall bearings” pioneered by Tony Vandervell (originally layers of such metals as lead, tin and antimony)…are not able to maintain their “shape” and fail to maintain the critical oil film necessary for proper lubrication in high RPM motors.

Almost any bearing will work in a low RPM lawn mower, but decidedly less so in a heavily mechanically loaded “performance motor". :rolleyes:

Paul

Wow Paul you can cut and paste.

What happened to Mahle does not manufacture them any longer?

Now seeing that you are so knowledgeable!

Why don't you tell John where to get the bearings???

Good night and good bye. Victor

Um, maybe I will just get the crank journals built up again and use the stock sized bearings.

Thanks guys.

post-652-1346439735.jpg

14-20690

14-20692

14-20706

14-20708

14-20712

Sincerely Vic

That's very interesting: thank you very much, Victor.

ciao

Um, maybe I will just get the crank journals built up again and use the stock sized bearings.

Thanks guys.

John I would not do that.

First I apologize for getting carried away as I am sure Paul has quite a bit of knowledge of bearings himself.

Plus if what he has said about the bearing on ebay being manufactured in China is correct then he has done everyone a favor by informing us of that.

Someone else had mentioned GT Parts in Arizona. I myself have ordered several items from them and never had a problem. May I suggest you contact them if Lamborghini cannot help you.

Sincerely Vic

• 2 weeks later...

johnmh

First question is what clearence did you actually end up with? Lambo recommends .0015, BUT they also have a low/high tolerence for the crank, which is abut .001. So if your in the ballpark of .002-.0025 it will be fine. I have seen many a lambo engine with .003 on the rods and .0035-.004 onn the mains, from the factory.

Oversized bearings are available from Lambo and I'm sure other sources, but wehave found in the past that even though they are listed, they are still hard to obtain.

Be very careful about getting your crank welded and remachined. If the welding is not done properly the crank will crack and break. Ask Ken QV.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Mike,

I hate the idea of boxing my crank and sending it away as things happen and I am not certain who would be a safe choice for that work. Your measurements and the part numbers are a big help. As the block is still out getting the liners honed, we could only measure the rod big end clearances. All were 0.03"; my engine friend's day job is building big Lamborghini derived v 12s for world championship offshore race boats, he does not play around and thought smaller clearances were in order.

Will call GT car parts, I need to find a phone no for them.

Thanks,

John

Ps it may be a pricey month, I am performing a 2nd bare metal respray on the car (long story).