I'm bastardizing my herbie...

whiteout

This by far was the biggest pain in the ass of the entire build. Issues involved: routing, missing hoses, mis-made parts, and connectors for different size hoses, to name a few.

Today I managed to finish assembly of the coolant system and fill it with 3 gallons of coolant/water (it's going to need much more fluid).

1B5004A7-BEEE-4F01-BF1D-D28A2FBD7388-339

The worst part today was routing the hose. At every bend the 1/14" hose wanted to collapse, and there were many bends. Coming out of the top of the water pump, the hose collapsed, so I had to make a spacer for the water pump, pushing it down, to allow the hose to make the 90 degree turn towards the back of the car.

7B8E33DC-96BF-45A6-90E4-78021DAAD076-339

This also put some of the hose within 2" of the half-shaft. Which has me concerned; this set-up is temporary until I can make a system with hard lines.

56F26F52-69B3-4F95-B05D-1B3DC1082823-339

I also completed the following today:

- Installed half shafts

- Installed engine/chassis ground

44E906E6-DA3A-4549-BADC-E79D094530FB-339

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have few questions for you.

When do you expect to have it finished ?

Is the replacement running gear heavier that the one it replaces?

How do you expect the handling and suspension to be affected by the new running gear.

How do you expect to deal with the thousands of voodoo dolls Porsche owners are currently preparing?

I have few questions for you.

When do you expect to have it finished ?

Is the replacement running gear heavier that the one it replaces?

How do you expect the handling and suspension to be affected by the new running gear.

How do you expect to deal with the thousands of voodoo dolls Porsche owners are currently preparing?

Hopefully this week it's running. Then I have to have an exhaust made.

Full weight LS1 weighs about 40lbs more than the M96, but I removed some of the accessories, so the two should be about the same. I've removed weight from other aspects of the back of the car, so in all, this swap is probably dropping weight overall.

Handling shouldn't be any different.

Duck and Cover.

Today:

Bled clutch slave cylinder

Bled brakes

Wired water pump

Put interior back together

Put some underbody paneling back on

Fixed rear wing in up position and removed all associated hardware.

Now the wing is held up by two bolts. If I want to lower the wing, I simply remove the bolts:

1FA6738F-A103-4BDC-AE18-DC7C3BA1E692-380

I removed all of the hardware which powered the rear wing from the trunk lid:

692C1E0A-FFCE-4701-BC56-9D8863F2AA19-380

Incredible....Can't wait to see this badboy perform.What is the difference in HP/torque? thanks for sharing.

• 2 weeks later...

I was traveling for the holidays. Gawd.

I did some work tonight and had to mess around with the throttle body cable. Have a new design set up and should have it complete tomorrow. Then waiting on friend to come by to set up ECU to be started outside the Camaro. Then it's ready to start. :D

I did the same thing to a 912, back in the early 90's. I used a 229 v6 instead of a v8. I think it was running around 220hp. The problems I had look like they have been addressed by Porsche, going liquid cooled. I had to have a custom gas tank made & put a radiator up front. Gearing was really short on a 1968 car. Still, it would eat alive a good 911 back then. It sounded better also. I had a custom Super Trap exhaust. With a v8 and better gearing it would have been a monster.

Today is bittersweet.

First, I finally get the throttle body cable completely installed. Then I break of the T fitting for the PCV system, which is located behind the intake manifold (where the back seat is in the car), so impossible to get any tools to without dropping the engine. At this point, I'm going to run the vented PCV until I can come up with a solution.

While all this was going on, a friend drove across the state to get his tuning equipment and then came to the 911. He set up HP Tuners and started to work on the PCM, we found out that the electric water pump was working and I finished up affixing wires to the Porsche harness plugs to make sure that they are the correct wires before soldering.

Then start time came. . . nothing. Checked the starter and I forgot to hook up the starter solenoid signal wire. We made a quick hot wire and used it to jump the starter.

Primed the oil pump.

Powered the car and ECU (fuel pump primed)

Crank...Crank...Crank...Crank...Crank...Crank...

After troubleshooting, we find that the fuel pump is priming, but it's not getting fuel to the rails. . . WTF. To check to see if everything else is in order, The intake manifold is sprayed with brake cleaner; I jump the starter it.

THE ENGINE STARTS!!!!!!

But dies .6 seconds later.

So we remove the fuel pump relay and jump the wires. BAM! we have fuel!!!! Which reminded us that I didn't put a clip on the fuel return line, gas errrywhere. No clamps on hand, so we have to call it a night for starting the car.

What to do:

Check all connections for fuel lines and buy new hose clamps

Wire fuel pump

Wire starter signal

To add injury to insult. Remember that slave cylinder the painters decided should be destroyed. Well, I couldn't get it off of the car, or break any of the fittings. So I did what I could to the original slave cylinder and I thought that I fixed it. I was wrong. After bleeding the clutch I pressed the clutch pedal, which dropped to the floor, and then fluid poured out from the bellhousing. Repairing this will be a total pita.

Guest Dereiter

Nick, this project is fantastic. I am thrilled by your skills and intention to build the car! My respect to you.

Alex.

• 2 weeks later...

Today I fixed the fuel line issue and got the car started!!!! It ran for about a total of 20 minutes.

This is what I found out:

None of the gauges work.

I need more wire to properly run the starter signal wire

I don’t have a laptop to read what’s going on with the car

So it’s a big step forward with some minor nuisances.

Now, the part that nobody wants to hear. I’m done with the car for the next 1.5 months. My deadline has long passed and I simply don’t have the time to complete the car right now. I have work and travel that will not allow for any time to be spent on the 911. Luckily I work a few blocks from my house; it’s a mild winter; and my girlfriend can drive her car when we need one. So this is my last update for a little while.

Video of start up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=FBqV3NbZJ68

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...