Quicker Shifts Program

duhawks

Was thinking about doing the quicker shift program on my TT R8. Not too many people have put TT on the R8 so I felt like my questions would be answered over here a lot better. This board is where the big boys play haha.

For all of you that have done the quicker shift program on your LPs how is it? I am only putting out 800 to 850 to the wheels currently. I know the R8 has the same gear box as the LPs but they turn down the shift speed a lot from the factory. Every LP I have driven shifts way harder.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Was thinking about doing the quicker shift program on my TT R8. Not too many people have put TT on the R8 so I felt like my questions would be answered over here a lot better. This board is where the big boys play haha.

For all of you that have done the quicker shift program on your LPs how is it? I am only putting out 800 to 850 to the wheels currently. I know the R8 has the same gear box as the LPs but they turn down the shift speed a lot from the factory. Every LP I have driven shifts way harder.

I wish I could give you some first hand experience but I just don't know what's involved with adjusting that except maybe the transmission computer. I believe it would be involved with the engine management system as well, like Motec. Time to call UGR, I'm sure they can find a car to compare against.

Yeah I know for sure they have to get into the TCU to update the software on the tranny. The ECU is seperate.

I do have a Motech so I am not sure if they could get in there or not? Good question. Thanks

Yeah I know for sure they have to get into the TCU to update the software on the tranny. The ECU is seperate.

I do have a Motech so I am not sure if they could get in there or not? Good question. Thanks

Funny seeing you here. I have a TT R8 but mine is manual so I can only blame myself if shifts are slow!

Haha yeah. I like reading this board a lot. One of my favorites because we all need crazy power :)

I bet the manual is a blast though! How is the beast treating you?

Haha yeah. I like reading this board a lot. One of my favorites because we all need crazy power :)

I bet the manual is a blast though! How is the beast treating you?

We don't "need" crazy power we "want" crazy power!

great. where do you live?

Top Speed here in Atlanta. Doing I guess what is equivalent to a stage 1.5. Turbos, motech, BBG, and upgraded fueling.

Plan on doing the engine and tranny later or picking up a 570 and TT that. I have a hard time fitting in the LPs though. Tall and wide shoulders. One of the reasons I got the r8 was the leg room.

These are the people that can get into the TCU of the LPs and the R8s. They are out of Miami. Not sure who else can get into the TCU. I know UGR can and maybe Heffner? I am not sure who they are using or if they have their own software. The cost is around 1,800 and they ship you a flash loader. I have talked with the tech back and forth with emails and he said the shifts are about 30 to 40% faster.

http://germanmotoring.com/

When ugr did my TT kit on my 570, a stage 1.5 also, they also did the quick shift program. I can tell you that compared to my current stock 560, the 570 definitely shifted faster but also felt less violent. I guess you can attribute that to the shorter delay between gears.

I wouldn't just order a quick shift for a TT R8. I think you better talk to one of the big tuners and check with them first because a modified tcu might just mess with your motec programming.

Yeah I agree. I am going to get Top Speed to talk with them because the guy doing the quicker shifts told me he needs to know how they are using the Motech so it doesnt get in the way.

He said generally it would not interfere at all because the motech just controls the engine parameteres and the TCU is seperate.

I am going to drive around the car and get the vbox out and see how the car is shifting before hand and then see what it shifts like after with the quicker shifts. I would like to see what the difference is because I dont think anyone has documented that yet. I will let you guys know.

Yeah I agree. I am going to get Top Speed to talk with them because the guy doing the quicker shifts told me he needs to know how they are using the Motech so it doesnt get in the way.

He said generally it would not interfere at all because the motech just controls the engine parameteres and the TCU is seperate.

I am going to drive around the car and get the vbox out and see how the car is shifting before hand and then see what it shifts like after with the quicker shifts. I would like to see what the difference is because I dont think anyone has documented that yet. I will let you guys know.

I'd be surprised if it is worth the effort and dinero

I'd be surprised if it is worth the effort and dinero

Good idea to use the VBOX. You should see between .1 and .3 shifts for a normal shifting gallardo.

I've seen .1 only a couple times in specific gears, not all the gear shifts. This car would go .2 in most of the other gears.

I've seen .2 in every gear before consistently . I've seen .3 on some of the older Gallardos.

Keep us updated.

Yep. That is exactly what I see. My shifts are fast enough then. For all gears 2-6 they are .2 to .3. But you really lose .5 seconds to get back to where you were you were on the acceleration line. For some reason the 1st to 2nd shift is the slowest. Around .3 to .4. Don't know if they did this for town driving or if it is something with the gear box.

I'm really curious to the 13 r8 with a tune to see what it can do performance wise. With the tune it will be almost like a LP in terms of power level.

LP with 615 hp and DCT would be amazing. Wonder how the DCT will hold up if you slap turbos on. I really hope the Gallardo replacement keeps the V10 or the 13 R8 with the V10, DCT and turbos would be the way to go if your into performance.

Post up some VBOX graphs if you can or PM me and I'll walk you through it if you need help. I look at where the Long G force drops and then when it starts to go back up. The DCT on the GT-R is amazing if you look at the VBOX graph, it just doesn't drop at all and its continuous. I can't even figure out when they shifton a high horsepower car from the graph.

Yep. That is exactly what I see. My shifts are fast enough then. For all gears 2-6 they are .2 to .3. But you really lose .5 seconds to get back to where you were you were on the acceleration line. For some reason the 1st to 2nd shift is the slowest. Around .3 to .4. Don't know if they did this for town driving or if it is something with the gear box.

I'm really curious to the 13 r8 with a tune to see what it can do performance wise. With the tune it will be almost like a LP in terms of power level.

LP with 615 hp and DCT would be amazing. Wonder how the DCT will hold up if you slap turbos on. I really hope the Gallardo replacement keeps the V10 or the 13 R8 with the V10, DCT and turbos would be the way to go if your into performance.

Yeah that is exactly what I look at. I count from the point where it drops and to the bottom. Yeah the GTR is incredible! It doesnt drop at all. We have to drop and then come all the way back up....

road_filters.JPG

You know the white spyder topspeed did the twin turbos on a year ago? That was mine, they had my car for roughly 9 months after saying it would take 2-3 months and then gave me the car back with a blown motor. I had to have UGR build the motor and did a stage 2.5 with them and this time the car was done right. The quality and customer service were night an day by dealing with Underground

PM sent. Yes I have heard all about it from everyone but your side of the story.

PM'd you back. I have nothing to hide. I guess its one thing to blow a customers motor up due to them not knowing what they were doing, you can always fix it but the way it was handled after the fact is poor business. I have everything documented emails from them and text messages. I just hope it doesnt happen to anyone else

You should be able to pick up a lot of speed during the shifts. Those are definitely .3-.4 shifts in all gears. If you can get a consistent .2 then you will feel like its neck snapping compared to these shifts.

Yeah they turn down the shift speed in the r8s from the factory as well as retune them. Drives me nutts.

Thanks for chatting with me. Sounds like your car is going to be a beast now! Hopefully Top Speed doesn't get to inventive with my car or I will have to give Kevin a call.