FREE MURCI Roadster HARD Top !! (Must live near Troy, MI)

JonV8944s

Ok, so MAYBE ... we might actually FINALLY have the possiblity of a hard top for Murci Roadster owners. Jeff Lemke makes some amazing products and I know him from my Viper days, where he made some great products for the Viper RT10 and SRT10 convertibles/roadsters. Well I reached out to Jeff about a month ago, after getting even more tired of how annoying my soft-top is to put on, and begged him to help out.

Jeff said 'he might' if his schedule allowed and if it was a cool project.. I assured him, it doesnt get much cooler then a lambo :).

Anyways, Jeff is definitely the Real deal, he is not some fly by night company and he will not screw people like the 100s of other people who have claimed they were doing this, but only took money and delivered no product.

All Jeff needs to get started on this is ...... A Murci ROADSTER, his schedule is opening up in the next month, where he will have time to design one for us, but he needs an actual car for about 3 weeks to make the top.

Here is the good part, the car loaner, gets a FREE top. IF Troy wasnt so far from me in Chicago, I'd just let him have mine, 3 weeks isnt that hard to live with out the murci, when I have had to go 3 months at times, thanks to Chicago winters. BUT if someone was local to Troy MI area, they could be a better option.

Please let me know. At worst, I might just get my car to him anyways.

Thanks!

Jon

Many have tried and failed at this project. I wish Jeff luck! THat would be awesome!

Agree 100%, thats why I made it a point to reach out to Jeff and ask him to step up to help. I just want one of these damn things.. lol.. and I gave Jeff a VERY detailed review of all the various forum thread here and on the other site, that were people spinning up such a project and it never happening.

I'd like to think the difference here, is that I am a real owner, and I know Jeff from his past experiences in Viper world and Jeff owns the company that creates the Falcon F7: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Falcon-F7/124666464267347

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Jon, do you have a general idea of your goal?

1 piece? Multi piece storable? Top on frame?

My goal, which may be different then Jeff's but he can trump me, because after all, it has to work, and he will know how best to do it, is to offer 2 solutions:

1. a SINGLE piece unit, which of course means its not stowable in the car if you wanted to take it off, which is fine, some people only take the top off when its confirmed good weather, or short trips.

2. a Multi piece storable unit, so it can be put in the front trunk.

IF I had to pick just one, then it would be option 2, as its the most versitile. But again, I just hate my soft top, its such a C*NT to install quickly, that sometimes I just wont drive the car in light rain or risk of rain because of it. Option 1 or 2 both address my main issue.

Obviously the best design would be stowable and easy to put on and take off.

I'd think that might require a design where you put a tubular frame of some kind that is removable but not necessarily readily removable and then be able to then attach the easily removable room panels to that. This is only speculation on my part and discussion because I find this project very interesting.

I unfortunately don't know anything about how the softtop goes on though. I always wonder how you clear the top with the windows without putting the windows down given that on the roadster it's a window frameless door.

I think only a multi-piece will sell enough units to make a viable product

I would want it to be constructed of carbon fiber, maybe in combination with a canvas for the rear portion

There is actually a single piece hard top on ebay right now

The Gennadi design was what I would use as a starting point

If he wants someone to run AutoCAD for design work, I can be helpful

I think only a multi-piece will sell enough units to make a viable product

I would want it to be constructed of carbon fiber, maybe in combination with a canvas for the rear portion

There is actually a single piece hard top on ebay right now

The Gennadi design was what I would use as a starting point

If he wants someone to run AutoCAD for design work, I can be helpful

I think you are confused on whats currently being offered on ebay right now. Check again :)

I think you are confused on whats currently being offered on ebay right now. Check again :)

Got it, just looks like a roadster top.

Just let your guy know what propsective customers are looking for in a hard top. Volume wise, the production of Murci roadsters stands at 899. I think at least 100 of these people would buy a $5,000 multi-piece attractive hard top. So thats a potential revenue stream of at least $500,000.00.

There may be a follow-on product potential for an attractive carbon fiber Diablo top, just for the look. A clear tinted top that lets sun in has always been a popular Corvette option. That could be an option for a Murci top.

I just found out from my wife (only becuase I havent been listening to her as usual, because she swears she's told me dozens of times) that we have a family wedding to go to, in all places, Troy MI this coming weekend. lol. So I am heavily debating running parallel with her and our boys in my Murci and dropping it off to Jeff and driving back with my family. Perhaps flying in for when its ready and driving it back. So if no one is goign to step up thats local to Troy, MI, I guess I will be the one to do so. At least I'll be the one to get the free top :) Else I would have had to buy mine just like anyone else who wants one, after the design is finalized and production ready.

Hello Everyone.

Jon contacted me a while ago in regards to this and I've now found some time to get it done. I think your best bet in regards to trust would be to check out all of my previous work and reputation. If you go on any of the Viper forums, do a search for my name (Jeff Lemke) or all of my products and get a sense of quality and satisfaction. From all aspects of design, body kits, and even my latest full supercar, the Falcon F7. I have a design in mind for the Roadster and I'm pretty excited about it. It's very inspired from the coupe and I have a solution for different side glass, etc. I plan to start with the one piece version and once I learn more about the car go for the stowable version. I saw a comment on here "Many have tried and failed at this project" and that does not phase me a bit. Seems I excell the most when people say "it's impossible to get a good looking top on an RT/10" or "It's impossible to get a hard top version to stow in the trunk of the Viper" and of course "9 out of 10 people that start a supercar company never get past the first show car". I've beaten the odds on all of these statements. I'm not stating this to be cocky, just trying to instill some confidence in who I am since most of you here may not have a clue. Don't take my word for it, do your own investigation.

My plan would be to offer a one piece version of the top for $7,900 list price. It would be Carbon fiber/kevlar construction. Anyone who wishes to have faith in my abilty and delivery can pre-order for $4,500. I cannot guarantee that a stowable version will follow but that is the intent. I need to know more about the car and it's storage capacity.

If the moderators of this forum are OK with this, I'm posting these links to previous work. Please let me know if I have to take the links down. The Mach 7 site is dated and needs an update, but you'll get the idea.

Viper products:

http://www.mach7motorsports.com/page/page/3752064.htm

Falcon F7:

I cannot say enough good things about Jeff Lemke and his company, Mach 7 motorsports. A few years ago, I bought a 1996 Viper RT-10 that had one of Jeff's AWESOME looking "trunk-tops" and set of windows included with the car (for anyone not familiar with the older Viper RT-10's, a huge PITA of these cars is that the factory hardtop does not fit inside the trunk, and therefore can only be carried on the car, or not at all. The older RT-10's also do not have factory installed glass windows, and instead came with soft plastic windows. Jeff Lemke and his team solved both of these problems and came up with a 3-piece "trunk top" that could fit in the trunk, as well as real glass windows that could be popped on and off the car in seconds, making the car MUCH more sleek looking and secure).

Anyways, upon buying this car, I was excited that these two expensive upgrades were included with the car (thank you SPRITE!). :) However, I knew beforehand from speaking to Sprite that the hardware for both sets (targa top and windows) was rusty and that a few bolts might have been missing.

After doing some research, I contacted Mach 7 Motorsports hoping they could help me, and was surprised to recieve a call from Jeff Lemke himself. He told me that from the email and pics I had sent him, it sounded like I had an older version of his windows, and that if I was willing to send them back to him, he would replace them with the newer "updated" set with better hardware.

When I recieved the new set, not only had Jeff made good on that promise, but he replaced all of the hardware included with my top and lock mechanism as well. The newer windows were not only more secure as he mentioned, but 100x more functional than the set I sent in that they replaced.

In the end, I couldnt thank Jeff enough, and he made one of those "I hope this isnt a PITA to fix" issues on a car an absolute pleasure. If there is anyone who can make this project happen for the Murcie roadster, it is him! :)

Welcome to the board Jeff! And as I said back in 2008/2009 when we first spoke, thank you again for all of your help! :icon_super:

http://www.mach7motorsports.com/page/page/1012985.htm

Welcome Jeff, I am very excited to start on this new venture with you! I am glad you accepted my request to create one of your masterpieces for the Murci's. I have a feeling, you'll find a nice untapped segment here, and you will likely be able to expand your offerings to other aspects of these cars!

Again, Welcome, and glad to have you on here!

Jon

Jeff,

The reason people have tried and failed as I've heard is two fold.

With such a limited market ROI will be small. The murci roadsters are at this point majority in their second or third owners. So instead of selling to someone with 400000 to spend on a car you're selling to someone with 200000 to spend. In the past people have jacked up prices to get their roi.

The other problem I've heard, and this is heresay admittedly, is that there is difficulty getting DOT to sign off on the accessory?

The last thing is if you're going to take on this project I implore you to look at a stowable top.

As someone in the market for one of these roadsters I wouldn't buy a one piece ht, but I would buy a stowable one.

Honestly, the concern over DOT approval is irrelevant to me. There is no way Jeff could make anything more unsafe then what comes with the car for a soft top from the factory.

Also, one of the most attractive tops I have ever seen for the Murci Roadster IS a single piece unit. My issue is this, I will happily stow the softop in the car, and should some unsuspecting bad weather arrive, I'll install it. However, if I KNOW rain is coming or snow flakes, and I still want to take the car somewhere, I'd LOVE to put a simple 1 piece top on.

For real world use, I am completely ok with a single piece hard top, and I actually prefer to have that first, it will be easier then a multi piece unit to install, and it will fit my lifestyle. The Hardtop will be something I use for daily sun/no-sun decisions. If I leave it at home, and something bad is coming, I will pull out the softop.

Would I like both a single piece hard top and a 3 piece hard top? Certainly. Would I be happy with either? Yup! If I had to pick one, what would it be? (3 piece due to its over all versatility), but would I still like a single piece even if a 3 piece never materializes? WITHOUT A DOUBT :).

Honestly, the concern over DOT approval is irrelevant to me. There is no way Jeff could make anything more unsafe then what comes with the car for a soft top from the factory.

Also, one of the most attractive tops I have ever seen for the Murci Roadster IS a single piece unit. My issue is this, I will happily stow the softop in the car, and should some unsuspecting bad weather arrive, I'll install it. However, if I KNOW rain is coming or snow flakes, and I still want to take the car somewhere, I'd LOVE to put a simple 1 piece top on.

For real world use, I am completely ok with a single piece hard top, and I actually prefer to have that first, it will be easier then a multi piece unit to install, and it will fit my lifestyle. The Hardtop will be something I use for daily sun/no-sun decisions. If I leave it at home, and something bad is coming, I will pull out the softop.

Would I like both a single piece hard top and a 3 piece hard top? Certainly. Would I be happy with either? Yup! If I had to pick one, what would it be? (3 piece due to its over all versatility), but would I still like a single piece even if a 3 piece never materializes? WITHOUT A DOUBT :).

Jon, please don't take my posts as negative. I'm only posting my thoughts as like I said. This is an interesting project.

I implore you to look at a stowable top.

As someone in the market for one of these roadsters I wouldn't buy a one piece ht, but I would buy a stowable one.

I'm in the same situation, have little use for a single piece top so would not purchase one unless it stayed with the car Diablo style. Not a coincidence the Aventador top is multi-piece.

I would prefer a one piece for days I know it's going to be shitty out.

Are you going to drive it when it's shitty out?

Are you going to drive it when it's shitty out?

Yeah, shitty means 60 degrees and over cast. Don't need a top the other 300 days a year.

Yeah, shitty means 60 degrees and over cast. Don't need a top the other 300 days a year.

Agreed, there are those of us, who arent afraid of some rain, or cold and overcast. I can enjoy a roadster on sunny days and even cold overcast ones. Hell, I have even been know to get caught in a few snow flakes from time to time.

My car is here to bring me joy, not to make it a garage queen for the next owner... (I am fortunate that the guy before me, did exactly that for me :) But I will not be returning the favor, I have already put twice as much miles on it as he did :)

these cars should be driven, not treated like fine china to be only enjoyed at select engagements. I'd rather the Bull in the China shop approach. Life only comes once, enjoy as much of it as you can in a Lambo :)

BTW, not a huge fan of the Genaddi unit, let me find the one, its on this forum, of a single piece unit, its my favorite (maybe someone else can find it for me, its on an LP650 ... THATS seriously got to make it easy, there are only 50 lp650s in the world.

OK, I've done more research on this project and I've concluded that, although expensive, there is already what seems to be a good product available for the car. I realize there is plenty of doubt, but there is nothing I can do about that. You either believe, or you don't.

I examined this top here: http://www.exoticcomposites.com/cart/ in 4 piece form and based on its construction, engineering and design, I really don't think there will be a better top available for this car. I was interested in designing and building a hardtop for this car when I was under the assumption nothing else was available. It seems that's not the case, and I know all too well that the market on low volume products is tough when you're the only company making the product, two companies making the same product makes things down right impossible.

I called exotic composites and asked about ordering one of their hard tops. They stated it was about a 6-8 week delivery made to order (makes sense) and after a lengthy discussion about development, construction, detail photo examination, etc., I was convinced this was real and not a scam. I've been through all of the same sorts of things this guy was describing and everything was on par with the realities of such a product.

They claim to have sold 13 so far and that number, based on quantity of cars and price of product, is in line with what I would have guessed. In the end, for me to get involved is kind of pointless. I stated I could do a one piece for about $7,900. A stowable version would be at least $11,000. This comes in a bit less that what these guys offer but not enough to justify getting into a extremely limited market with an already existing competitor that seems to have a good product already.

OK, I've done more research on this project and I've concluded that, although expensive, there is already what seems to be a good product available for the car. I realize there is plenty of doubt, but there is nothing I can do about that. You either believe, or you don't.

I examined this top here: http://www.exoticcomposites.com/cart/ in 4 piece form and based on its construction, engineering and design, I really don't think there will be a better top available for this car. I was interested in designing and building a hardtop for this car when I was under the assumption nothing else was available. It seems that's not the case, and I know all too well that the market on low volume products is tough when you're the only company making the product, two companies making the same product makes things down right impossible.

I called exotic composites and asked about ordering one of their hard tops. They stated it was about a 6-8 week delivery made to order (makes sense) and after a lengthy discussion about development, construction, detail photo examination, etc., I was convinced this was real and not a scam. I've been through all of the same sorts of things this guy was describing and everything was on par with the realities of such a product.

They claim to have sold 13 so far and that number, based on quantity of cars and price of product, is in line with what I would have guessed. In the end, for me to get involved is kind of pointless. I stated I could do a one piece for about $7,900. A stowable version would be at least $11,000. This comes in a bit less that what these guys offer but not enough to justify getting into a extremely limited market with an already existing competitor that seems to have a good product already.

While I am understandably a bit sadden, I appeciate all you did to research this and that you tried to help with a solution. Thanks for the call for the detailed explanation, I can appeciate that two people in the same space with such a small market doesnt make a ton of sense, but I actually wasnt too sure if Exotic composites even really made what they have listed on their site. Thanks again, and I look forward to perhaps seeing some future offering from you for the lambo world :)

Thanks!

Jon