Bank 1 cat glowing hot, need help please

dallas

I had my 2004 Gallardo out for most of the morning today and it ran perfect but when I went to jump into it in the evening about two minutes down the road I had a cat light come on Bank 1 and it started backfiring, spudering and the loss of power. I pulled over and found that the high flow aftermarket cat was glowing red so I ckecked the fuses behind the seats and one of the fuses behind the passenger side seat was blown so I had to replace it with a 10 amp fuse ( original was a 15 amp ) because I did not have a 15 amp and I started driving again and immediately blew the fuse. I then put a 20 amp fuse in and was able to get home I was only about one minute away from my house. I took all the spark plugs out which were the updated NGK plugs and checked all the coils which were also the updated ones on both banks and everything seems to look fine. Does anybody have any idea what else I could look for. Is it possible that I could've just blown the fuse and that was it? I have not taken the car out since I checked all the plugs and coils. I also tried pulling the codes with my scanner and there were none. Should I pull out my missfire tubes and blow them out. I thought for sure that I would of found the problem with one of the plugs or coil but not the case. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. Car has 23000 kms on it and has ran great until now.

Which fuse was blown?

If an engine bank went out, it shouldn't cause the cat to overheat since no fuel/spark should be entering the chamber. Glowing cats usually indicate a misfire or something wrong with the cat causing a resistance - I would pull that cat out and look at it and make sure that the honeycomb is undamaged.

Misfire tubes/sensors just detect misfires - they do not control or modify the spark angle.

Which fuse was blown?

If an engine bank went out, it shouldn't cause the cat to overheat since no fuel/spark should be entering the chamber. Glowing cats usually indicate a misfire or something wrong with the cat causing a resistance - I would pull that cat out and look at it and make sure that the honeycomb is undamaged.

Misfire tubes/sensors just detect misfires - they do not control or modify the spark angle.

im with Mike, i'd bet there is an issue with the one cat.. i have seen early gallardo cats degrade to the point of failing. on the 04-05 cars you can get away with going catless which is nice, or, fabspeed and a few other companies make high flow cat replacements.

Thanks Ryan, Mike and David. I pulled the cat out and it's toast, literally, the honeycomb has fallen apart. Now looking for some reasonably priced test pipes or high flow cats. Used would be fine if anyone has any for sale. Thanks again guys. BTW would the screwed up cat cause that fuse to blow?

Thanks Ryan, Mike and David. I pulled the cat out and it's toast, literally, the honeycomb has fallen apart. Now looking for some reasonably priced test pipes or high flow cats. Used would be fine if anyone has any for sale. Thanks again guys. BTW would the screwed up cat cause that fuse to blow?

I can't see how that's possible.

What fuse was it???

That's a bummer good thing you checked it. Don't see the cat blowing the fuse for ign. The cat was the byproduct of the blown fuse.

Just take care of it like we used to in high school with our Mustangs...Take a hammer and a piece of pipe and clear that obnoxious honeycomb out of there. = FREE straight pipes!

Just take care of it like we used to in high school with our Mustangs...Take a hammer and a piece of pipe and clear that obnoxious honeycomb out of there. = FREE straight pipes!

funny but true, and it will at least pass the visual inspection. But if you need to pass smog buy the test pipes, replacement cats are $$$ (save the good side).

Which fuse blew?

Here is a pic of the fuse that blew ( the fuse with the green tape on it ) The bench piece that comes out to access the computers, fuses, ect. is missing the label on it so I don't know which fuse is which. Would anyone be able to take a picture of their label for me? It would be much appreciated. Mike are you serious about hollowing out my cats because I will do it? Would it be safe? Thanks again you guys.

\Mike are you serious about hollowing out my cats because I will do it? Would it be safe? Thanks again you guys.

Yes. It's how EVERY one of my cars drove around for the first 10 years of my driving history.

Once you break a little bit of it out, the rest will just crumble away. Get a hammer, a piece of ~1" pipe, and a big screwdriver and have at it...Should take you about 10 minutes each cat.

Pop them back in, and enjoy the sweet sounds of 'test pipes'.

Thanks Jeff.

Isn't there a fuse diagram in the owners manual?

(I have a 560, or I'd check mine...They have different electronics altogether.)

Mike I looked through the manual and did not see it. I will check again. I sure would like to know what all those fuses are for. No prob Jeff, I had one of those crazy days myself.

I found out that the fuse that blew was ignition 1-5. I have since put my new test pipes back in the car and buttoned everything back up, went to start it and immediately blew this fuse again. Only runs on the 6-10 bank. Anyone know what else to look for? One this is when the cat heated up it melted the thermocoupler so I do not have a new one yet. Would this cause the fuse to blow immediately? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Check the coils closely and check the 02 sensors.

Also try to elliminated the short by disconnect one at a time.

Good luck hope you figure it out. Look at the bright side, the car will sound bad ass when you are done.