Engine lamp right catalyst error

Shunolago

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is not OEM. OEM looks like a metal suitcase.

Thanks its not easy to know when you dont have something to compare to.

whiteout is right, you def have an aftermarket exhaust, and what he showed you is the OEM one.

Also I would be cautious, VERY cautious of HIGH FLOW after market CATs. They never seem to last for very long before they clog. I have gone that route too, but what I found out, is that a GOOD factory CAT will be just as effecient or better then most of the aftermarket ones. I even have dyno proven that a car with GOOD factory cats, does NOT loose power vs their 'wide open' counter parts. But this is when I took 4 cats and reduced 2 of them to just 2 cats (I dynoed the car) and THEN went to NO CATs and got NO additional power, over the simple 2 cat setup.

A solid factory 'metal substrate' cat (like the ones we have in the murci) are VERY good, and aftermarket ones will have trouble competing with them. The factory 'ceramic' cats version are more 'durable' but far more restrictive. I'd remove those on any car I have them on.

Good luck, looks like your in the process of getting the problem fixed, feel free to share the results.

Shine a Light through the back side of the CAT and see if you can find clogs. The front cats are 'stright enough' that you should be able to see if the metal substrate inside it collapsed. also you'll hear them move around in there when you shake the CAT itself. (of course you do this with them off the car).

Shine a Light through the back side of the CAT and see if you can find clogs. The front cats are 'stright enough' that you should be able to see if the metal substrate inside it collapsed. also you'll hear them move around in there when you shake the CAT itself. (of course you do this with them off the car).

You can se in the picture the camera pointed inside the cat, he could not find any dmg from that side.

Tomorrow he will remove the cat and take a look from the otherside, il keep u posted.

You can se in the picture the camera pointed inside the cat, he could not find any dmg from that side.

Tomorrow he will remove the cat and take a look from the otherside, il keep u posted.

One way view you will never be able to tell (unless its just total demolished), shake them after you take them off the car, if the metal substrate moves around on the inside, that means the metal substrate has collapsed in enough areas that its 'shrunk' in size that it now moves around (Bad thing). Sometimes the centers can clog, but not shrink enough to move around, but are still bad, so shinning the light will show you if ALL PARTS of the 'meshed' centers allow equal amounts of light to come through. If the outters or inner sections show more or less light then their counter part areas, that means some degregation has occured. It should be consident light passage from the center to the outside.

Hope that helps. Like I've said, I've personally installed removed at least 10-15 Cats and know the signs of failed ones, and what good ones look like.

This is the cat on right side that was overheating pic showing the backside

IMG_1257.jpg

And this shows the left side and when u chake it the metal substrate moves around on the inside

IMG_1265.jpg

This is the cat on right side that was overheating pic showing the backside

X

And this shows the left side and when u chake it the metal substrate moves around on the inside

x

DING DING DING... We have a WINNER...

CATs are DEFINITELY bad, both of them. Looks like based on how crappy they are, it WAS possible to see their demise without shinning a light behind them.

Both are bad, the worst one is the one thats collapses, and you can see how it shrank in size enough that you can see a Gap between it and the walls.

You can just 'gutt' them you know. No reason to go and buy after market bypass pipes if your just going catless, as yours are ruinend.

DING DING DING... We have a WINNER...

CATs are DEFINITELY bad, both of them. Looks like based on how crappy they are, it WAS possible to see their demise without shinning a light behind them.

Both are bad, the worst one is the one thats collapses, and you can see how it shrank in size enough that you can see a Gap between it and the walls.

You can just 'gutt' them you know. No reason to go and buy after market bypass pipes if your just going catless, as yours are ruinend.

Haha that ding ding was funny.

Yes he said the same hes goin to gutt them.

I thougt the car was running smooth after getting the new coilpacks it turned out 2 of them wasnt giving any spark car was running with 10 cylinders.

So i had to use 2 coilpacks of my old ones, thecar is a monster now the sound and idle is perfect.

Its weird tho that 2 brand new coilpacks wont give any spark.

Without if you reading this i would like you send me 2 new ones so i have 12 of the same coilpacks.

I can send you back the ones not working if you like to see what is wrong.

I thougt the car was running smooth after getting the new coilpacks it turned out 2 of them wasnt giving any spark car was running with 10 cylinders.

So i had to use 2 coilpacks of my old ones, thecar is a monster now the sound and idle is perfect.

Its weird tho that 2 brand new coilpacks wont give any spark.

Without if you reading this i would like you send me 2 new ones so i have 12 of the same coilpacks.

I can send you back the ones not working if you like to see what is wrong.

At least you got it all sorted out. I'm sure whiteout will take car of you, and yeah a 17% failure rate on his new coil packs isnt good, but I'm sure he'll figure out whats going on and make improvements.

Curious, how did you confirm they were bad?

At least you got it all sorted out. I'm sure whiteout will take car of you, and yeah a 17% failure rate on his new coil packs isnt good, but I'm sure he'll figure out whats going on and make improvements.

Curious, how did you confirm they were bad?

Well after my friend (mechanic) had gutted the cats and reinstalled the exhaust system he started the car and he felt the engine wasnt running good, so he checked the spark and find first one dead so he took a coilpack from the old ones and then he got a spark, he started again still didnt like the engine sound so he kept on and the 8th coil was the same so replaced that aswell and after that the car had that pure v12 sound.

I am having my tips custom made aswell the oem are to tiny for my taste, the new ones fill out the gap perfect i cant be more happy today :D

IMG_1295.jpg

IMG_1288.jpg

IMG_1284.jpg

I can exchange the non-working coilpacks with you. PM sent.

Those tips look awesome!

Thanks Nick.

Here´s another photo on the tips

bild_6_.JPG

So to recap are you essentially catless now? You gutted primaries and have NO secondaries?

Primaries are still there i only gutted secondaries.

Primaries are still there i only gutted secondaries.

I believe you are mistaken. Unless you changed your exhaust, the picture you showed us has NO secondaries as the photo shows bypass pipes connected to the muffler. And since you showed us primaries that were glogged not secondaries, I am pretty sure you gutted the primaries.

So to answer the guys question, yes your correct, he has no cats now.

I believe you are mistaken. Unless you changed your exhaust, the picture you showed us has NO secondaries as the photo shows bypass pipes connected to the muffler. And since you showed us primaries that were glogged not secondaries, I am pretty sure you gutted the primaries.

So to answer the guys question, yes your correct, he has no cats now.

Thought primares where the ones in the headers and secondarys the ones i removed, guess i only had primaries on to start with.

Thought primares where the ones in the headers and secondarys the ones i removed, guess i only had primaries on to start with.

Only the US cars have primary and secondaries, the rest of the world ONLY has primaries. So if you 'declogged' your only set of cats, then you de-catted your primary cats. In the photo you showed us where you asked if this was a stock exhaust and we said no, it also showed that where the secondaries WOULD go on a US car, they are bypassed with straight pipes.

So as far as I can tell you dont have any cats now.

So how does the car sound with the the primary cats gutted? Is it significantly louder? Is there anyway you can take a video and post it?

So how does the car sound with the the primary cats gutted? Is it significantly louder? Is there anyway you can take a video and post it?

Yes it is, IF you already have a the muffler bypass its a noticeable increase in sound. If you have the factory exhaust still on the car and the only change you make is gutting the cats, it wont make a noticeable sound increase, but there will be some.