Checking the A/C system

Allan-Herbie

Also, make sure the car is running and the A/C system is set to as cold as it will go and the fan speed is on high..before you start adding the R-134a. I also have a small thermometer in one of the ducts, to see when it gets to its coldest temp. I would stop adding if it gets between 40-50 degrees.

Also, be careful, as that rear wheel will spin sometimes..even in neutral.

Is the left cooling fan coming on when the A/C is turned on. If the left side fan is not coming on the condenser will be to hot witch will make the pressures both high and low to high and it will not blow very cold. The left side fan should come on all the time when A/C compressor is on or in defrost mode.

Not sure if these apply to the Diablo:

In learning about the LP560 A/C which wasn't blowing cold - I was told the amount of charge is critical, and too much or too little freon will cause the system to fail. It may feel very cold at first - but then it will start to blow warmer and warmer air - because if the pressure isn't correct the system will shut itself down.

Also the air temp from inside the vents should read mid 40's Farenheit. We tested with a meat thermometer that we calibrated using ice water. I was surprised. Using my hand/fingers the air didn't feel very cold - but the thermometer confirmed it was mid-40's. When checking with thermometer - the A/C must be set to the coldest "LO" setting with fan at highest setting.

ALSO - the A/C works off ambient temp. Not sure if this applies to the Diablo - but in the G there is a dash reading of outdoor temperature. The A/C adapts based on exterior temp - so if it's 95F outside the car - the A/C (in auto mode) will behave differently than if it's 80F outside. The point: if your ambient temp display is not working correctly it will throw off the A/C, and must be fixed.

Can someone post a picture of where the Highside is. My AC is cool but not cold so I want to service the whole system. Thanks

post-6577-1373678248_thumb.jpgAll vehicles after 1996 used 134A. Get a can of 134A, either one with a

gauge already on it or get a short hose with gauge and low pressure

fitting. Fitting is behind rear driver's wheel. Do not need to remove

wheel. Some gauges have a dial that you can turn to the ambient

outdoor temperature, and another dial shows you what pressure

to fill the 134A to. Turn on car and run the A/C on high fan and

lowest temp when filling. Put a temperature gauge (with a long probe - you can get

these in the kitchen gadgets at your grocery store) in one of your

A/C outlets in the car to check out what the temp of the air blowing

out is. My diablo, a '99 VT coupe, blows out 28 degree air!

No shit!