Checking the A/C system

Allan-Herbie

Any suggestions or thoughts? My A/c was working great, and then I blew the belt off at the track, once we fixed it, the a/c blows but not as cold.

Im not sure.. How can you tell what it has?

By the type of fitting it has... If the A/C has been recharged in the last decade or so, chances are its been converted to 134.

By the type of fitting it has... If the A/C has been recharged in the last decade or so, chances are its been converted to 134.

How can you tell freon is low?

The right way is to have the ac freon pulled out and the right amount put in. They will measure how much came out to be able to tell you if you was low or not. They should also put dye in the system to make it better to find the leaks in the future.

Lamborghinisti,

If just your belt flew off, a replacement wouldn't cause any change.

Is the new belt slipping?

Did the old belt in the process of coming off nick an AC line?

Do you see any black greasy speckles anywhere around the AC compressor, fittings, lines or condenser? That's indicative of a leak.

Given you have an SV...MY98? It should be factory 134A. My 97.5 VT Roadster is OEM 134A

You can buy a AC recharge gauge cluster from Discount / Napa / Autozone. It allows you to connect up to the fitting and the gauge the pressure in the system. If it's low, you can use the filler line on the cluster and add from one of those screw on (pierce to open) cans.

Shamile

Lamborghinisti,

If just your belt flew off, a replacement wouldn't cause any change.

Is the new belt slipping?

Did the old belt in the process of coming off nick an AC line?

Do you see any black greasy speckles anywhere around the AC compressor, fittings, lines or condenser? That's indicative of a leak.

Given you have an SV...MY98? It should be factory 134A. My 97.5 VT Roadster is OEM 134A

You can buy a AC recharge gauge cluster from Discount / Napa / Autozone. It allows you to connect up to the fitting and the gauge the pressure in the system. If it's low, you can use the filler line on the cluster and add from one of those screw on (pierce to open) cans.

Shamile

Yes, my car is a 98. I haven't noticed anything getting hit.. I will go in tomorrow and look around some more. Thanks for the info.

Very interesting, please keep reporting and updating on this as I have to recharge my AC as well.

Last year worked fine, this year barely cold.

Easy to recharge--if you have a lift (scissor type so weight is off the wheels) Fitting is behind driver's side rear wheel, 10 to 11 o'cock. If the weight is on the wheels almost impossible to get to. I've been using "AC Pro" from AutoZone, got a gauge on it. Only hassle is: connect the fitting while car is lifted, then lower the car, start it, run a/c (ie follow directions on the can) fill it (could take more than one can) then lift the car take the fitting off, lower car, be cool. Essential knowledge (imparted to me by Steve Gleaner/Driven Exotics) for life here in the "Valley of the Surface of the Sun", aka Phoenix.

Just about guarantee you both need AC charged, these compressors leak. Both my cars have to be charged every year. It's super easy.

I bought this from Pep Boys. The low pressure side inlet is behind the driver side rear wheel so remove it. I purchased the trigger gun with gauge from pep boys made by Interdynamics and it worked great. With the air conditioner on high and set to coldest, you just screw the refrigerant to the gun and squeeze while while rocking the can back and forth. Release the trigger and read the pressure. Your shooting for 40-45 lbs. keep squeezing and checking until there. That's it.

It's R134a

post-10170-1373025551.jpg

it for sure r-134,maybe when belt broke damaged the ac clutch or wiring to compressor.take it your repair shop have them ck the pressures and if theres power to compressor when ac is on

Just about guarantee you both need AC charged, these compressors leak. Both my cars have to be charged every year. It's super easy.

I bought this from Pep Boys. The low pressure side inlet is behind the driver side rear wheel so remove it. I purchased the trigger gun with gauge from pep boys made by Interdynamics and it worked great. With the air conditioner on high and set to coldest, you just screw the refrigerant to the gun and squeeze while while rocking the can back and forth. Release the trigger and read the pressure. Your shooting for 40-45 lbs. keep squeezing and checking until there. That's it.

It's R134a

So you remove the rear wheel, and the innder fender cover?

No, I didn't make that very clear. All you really have to do is jack up the car on that wheel, that will create enough separation between tire and wheel arch where you can get your hand in there and snap the fitting on. Don't remove anything.

No, I didn't make that very clear. All you really have to do is jack up the car on that wheel, that will create enough separation between tire and wheel arch where you can get your hand in there and snap the fitting on. Don't remove anything.

Oh ok, so you still go in from the top of the engine compartment. Thanks!

No not the top, don't open or remove anything, just jack the drivers side rear wheel until you see this. This picture will help.

post-10170-1373062108.jpg

No not the top, don't open or remove anything, just jack the drivers side rear wheel until you see this. This picture will help.

Oh ok! Now I see! Thank you!

you need to hook up the low n high side ,charge low side .

Where is the low and high sides? Is the wheel area the low side? Where is the high side?

Where is the low and high sides? Is the wheel area the low side? Where is the high side?

i think low side is near drivers side eng area and high side is on the bottom near ac compressor

Arrrg! The picture is the low side, forget the high side. This process is for replacing leaking freon only, not servicing the whole system.

Ok, so to fill the system up.. you would fill from the tire area.. to check it you would look at the high side?

If you use a filler like the one I highlighted, it will tell you how full or empty the system is. I'm not an AC guy, but I think the other side would be for pressurizing the whole system to see if it holds, we know it doesn't, and aren't interested in finding the leak, just in replacing the lost freon. In any case, this is as far as I would go as a DIYer. Leave compressor replacement and other AC trouble shooting to someone more qualified. It can be hazardous to break open lines, and pressure test. This process is very safe and easy.

If you use a filler like the one I highlighted, it will tell you how full or empty the system is. I'm not an AC guy, but I think the other side would be for pressurizing the whole system to see if it holds, we know it doesn't, and aren't interested in finding the leak, just in replacing the lost freon. In any case, this is as far as I would go as a DIYer. Leave compressor replacement and other AC trouble shooting to someone more qualified. It can be hazardous to break open lines, and pressure test. This process is very safe and easy.

Perfect. I will go this route and see what happens.. The car had Ice cold a/c before.. and now just mediocre.. I dont see anything wrong or disconnected. So maybe when the belts were changed it lost freon somehow.