Pricing prediction?

sprite

Breaking news! My friend just got rid off his 2013 coupe with original wondow.sticker of $280,000 for a pathetic $200,000 and he only has 500 miles on his car. I can't believe the 2013 spider are asking only $279,900 with a little over 2000 miles!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fortis, you are spot on. :)

McLaren has had a goodly number of teething problems and made many marketing blunders. I wonder if it is due to their financial string pullers: The Kingdoms of Bahrain and Saudi Arabia. :shock:

P.S. Jmiggs ...... All the talk about the P13 was that it would be sub-150k car. Now that McLaren is hooked up with Honda, there is talk that the new NSX and this P13 are cousins of sorts..... If they get to the 200k level with the P13, that's too close to a 12C in price, isn't it ??

Average price on 12Cs I looked at was like $270k. That would be potentially and $80K gap. That's big enough I think.

Breaking news! My friend just got rid off his 2013 coupe with original wondow.sticker of $280,000 for a pathetic $200,000 and he only has 500 miles on his car. I can't believe the 2013 spider are asking only $279,900 with a little over 2000 miles!

So your friend bought a 2013 McLaren coupe when prices on 2012s were 200k, then tried to sell the car with 500 miles a few months later? What did he expect?

So your friend bought a 2013 McLaren coupe when prices on 2012s were 200k, then tried to sell the car with 500 miles a few months later? What did he expect?

$230k -$250k

$230k -$250k

How are you going to sell a car for $230-250K when there are cars with very low miles, one year older, some in even higher spec, are going for $200K or less? CPO warranty is only $3500 per additional year as well.

There is someone the forum looking at an early 2012 car, 2000 miles, $311K MSRP for like $200K. Why would someone pay $230-250K for a 2013 with 500 miles and $30K lower spec?

The depreciation sucks, but the guy made a bonehead move. Keep the car another 3 years and the depreciation will even out and become much more reasonable.

How are you going to sell a car for $230-250K when there are cars with very low miles, one year older, some in even higher spec, are going for $200K or less? CPO warranty is only $3500 per additional year as well.

There is someone the forum looking at an early 2012 car, 2000 miles, $311K MSRP for like $200K. Why would someone pay $230-250K for a 2013 with 500 miles and $30K lower spec?

The depreciation sucks, but the guy made a bonehead move. Keep the car another 3 years and the depreciation will even out and become much more reasonable.

A model year newer car is just plain out worth more. The 2013 model had improvements over the 2012 model; and, I'm not talking about the software power update. Most of these '$30k spec' options are poseur crap, anyway. Everyone knows that.

The MY years in the states slightly confuse me, is MY 2013 a car manufactured and sold in 2013? Virtually a brand new car with 500 miles on it.If I paid $280k for it 3 months ago I'd expect to at least get 75 to 80% back after factoring in taxes, transfer fees and dealer margin.

The MP4 can thick another "The Fastest" box, fastest depreciating car of all times.

Model years make no sense here. The 2015 Chevy suburban will be available starting q1 in 2014.

I was completely confused by that thread :lol2:

A model year newer car is just plain out worth more. The 2013 model had improvements over the 2012 model; and, I'm not talking about the software power update. Most of these '$30k spec' options are poseur crap, anyway. Everyone knows that.

Tell that to the market Pokie's friend just sold into. Clearly they aren't worth much more. Unless there is sizable, tangible improvement, which there isn't in the case of the 12C, then who cares? The reason model years are usually worth more is not because of the improvements, it's because there is usually more warranty and less miles or use. In the case of the 12C, you can even find unsold 2012's still for near $200K, so forget about whatever minor improvements the 2013 has had.

People buying used, $200K cars are always looking for deals. If they weren't, they'd be buying new. When it comes to the 12C, people are looking for certain colors, certain options, certain miles, and certain warranties. They are not looking for certain model years. BTW, 2013 cars lost the swipe doors by default and didn't get the 2014 navigation. Double whammy in my opinion.

So here's how it looks:

2012 car with a few thousand miles, $280-300K spec and full warranty for $200K.

2013 car with 500 miles, $280K spec, 2-3 year warranty for $230-250K.

I don't see how a 2013 is going to sell used at that price. Free options, more or equal warranty, $30-50K less. Why buy a 2013?

...... So here's how it looks:

2012 car with a few thousand miles, $280-300K spec and full warranty for $200K.

2013 car with 500 miles, $280K spec, 2-3 year warranty for $230-250K.

I don't see how a 2013 is going to sell used at that price. Free options, more or equal warranty, $30-50K less. Why buy a 2013?

Firstly, The 2012 car with "a few thousand miles" is not going to have a "full warranty" .... it's just about down to one year left. But, the 2013 will have double that amount left on the warranty countdown clock. A big "wammy' for a 2012, IMO.

You can spin it any way you want that makes you happy ...... Not my cup of tea; I don't buy used cars. I'll spec. a new car with my taste in options and have no desire for a car 'with a few thousand miles' worth of some other person's abuse.

Of course, to each his own. :icon_thumleft:

Firstly, The 2012 car with "a few thousand miles" is not going to have a "full warranty" .... it's just about down to one year left. But, the 2013 will have double that amount left on the warranty countdown clock. A big "wammy' for a 2012, IMO.

You can spin it any way you want that makes you happy ...... Not my cup of tea; I don't buy used cars. I'll spec. a new car with my taste in options and have no desire for a car 'with a few thousand miles' worth of some other person's abuse.

Of course, to each his own. :icon_thumleft:

It's only $3500/year of additional warranty if you buy it from a dealer. In fact, I just got an email from Philadelphia advertising $3500 back on the purchase of a used McLaren, or an extra year of warranty. You can of course add multiple years I believe, so $7K for two more years if needed. You find a $195K car, which there are plenty of nice one, and add two years to the warranty and you're at $202K, though you might even be able to find a car with two years left considering how many 2012s sold in early to mid-2013.

True, to each his own. I wasn't saying that buying used was for everyone or that this was the case for new cars. I was just showing why a used 2013 isn't going to fetch much of a premium over a used 2012, and 2012s are nowhere near $230-250K.

All things equal, a 2013 will have a premium, but rarely are all things equal.

It's only $3500/year of additional warranty if you buy it from a dealer. In fact, I just got an email from Philadelphia advertising $3500 back on the purchase of a used McLaren, or an extra year of warranty. You can of course add multiple years I believe, so $7K for two more years if needed. You find a $195K car, which there are plenty of nice one, and add two years to the warranty and you're at $202K, though you might even be able to find a car with two years left considering how many 2012s sold in early to mid-2013.

True, to each his own. I wasn't saying that buying used was for everyone or that this was the case for new cars. I was just showing why a used 2013 isn't going to fetch much of a premium over a used 2012, and 2012s are nowhere near $230-250K.

All things equal, a 2013 will have a premium, but rarely are all things equal.

jmiggs,

I'm just amazed at the trunk money that McLaren keeps throwing out there to sell the cars. There are far too many of these cars floating around looking for a home; I wonder why? ...... Do you think this might be why they gave old Anthony Sheriff (Managing Director) the boot ?? :eusa_think:

jmiggs,

I'm just amazed at the trunk money that McLaren keeps throwing out there to sell the cars. There are far too many of these cars floating around looking for a home; I wonder why? ...... Do you think this might be why they gave old Anthony Sheriff (Managing Director) the boot ?? :eusa_think:

Impossible to say for sure why prices are low. Dealer network size? Too much inventory after Spiders launched? Not enough brand awareness? A combination of these three, I think. I don't believe the looks or driving aspects have anything to do with the sales.

There is no better car anywhere near the money in the US in my opinion. Everything else worth considering is way more expensive -- Aventador, F12, 458 with warranty. What else is there that's this exotic and this high of performance? The only iffy thing about it was the front-end, but it grew on me quite quickly, and you could always spice it up with the HS-style front end of MSO part.

The car is great. Can't explain the price/inventory.

I just wasn't into the look front end either (it seemed nineties-style), and never warmed up to it. For me, crawling in and out was no picnic. There were a few other issues in the experience that found very unfavorable.

I just wasn't into the look front end either (it seemed nineties-style), and never warmed up to it. For me, crawling in and out was no picnic. There were a few other issues in the experience that found very unfavorable.

I wasn't either in pictures, but I warmed up to it rather quickly and think it's a great design. I was originally going to do the HS bumpers or MSO, but now I really like the standard one. As for the rear, I think it's one of the best out there.

Everyone's different and nothing is perfect. The perfect car would look different to everyone.

Never owned a car that didn't visit the shop once or twice either for minor things. I haven't had any major issues with the McLaren. A few bugs and a couple things will be replaced under warranty. Both pedals, steering wheel, and engine work flawlessly though.

As for getting in, it seems like everyone does that differently too. :)

Congrats, what color did you go for?

It's grey with black/black alcantara/leather and silver (i think) stitching on the center console and dash. CF everything pretty much, and dark wheels with silver CCB.

The Mac might be the greatest car of all times but it doesn't stir your soul, it's not the boulevard cruiser that most want :icon_mrgreen:

IMO it's in the looks, greater majority of exotic buyers want something that looks insane, makes the right noise, the Mac is a let down in that department, dull and sterile, the new front bar helps a bit but overall the design doesn't work, it's a huge shame because I was hoping they will succeed.

McLaren learned the hard way that it isn't easy taking the crown from Ferrari and Lambo in that market segment, they were very naive thinking they will crack the market at the same price point as a Ferrari or even a Lambo, now they are rethinking their pricing strategy, very bad business move, anyone in business knows that if you go in too high and you encounter resistance you've missed the boat, cutting your price after the fact rarely works unless you give it time, effort and incentives.

The market moves very fast in that segment, you can see Lambo scrambling with the Gallardo they were lucky the Gallardo is an excellent platform and they got away with milking it for so long, I am 100% certain they aren't stupid enough to give the next model a similar life span, you get chewed up very quickly these days.

With the G replacement Mac sales will suffer further, the segment of the market is getting busier by the minute with fantastic choices, new GT3, new 991 Turbo, new R8, new Gallardo, etc. as I said before I believe they should drop the entry car and go to the top, that segment isn't busy at all, Lambo is cleaning up with the Aventador, the F12 isn't a threat, Ferrari always sells, that's a given but there is room for another player, the lower segment is too busy.