Left bank down, no spark, running on 6 cylinder

Sudesh

Thought it was better to start a new thread on the issue I'm having, so moving on frm the issue I THOUGHT I was having here: http://www.lambopower.com/forum/index.php?...=68745&st=0

I did some more testing and would seem Im not getting spark on the left bank. I put the spark tester into 3 of plugs and neither showed anything. I swapped LIE computers over and the issue did not follow, so good indication the LIEs are ok.

So wondering where to go next? I checked all the vacuum hose, don't see anything out of place. I did however notice that, when I was fitting the little silver cover/guard that sits over the distributor and HT leads, I got a real sharp shock! Indicates that the current is escaping somewhere, also not sure if it was just coincidence at the time, but when I pressed down on the leads the car revved up slightly, when I took pressure off the leads, car died down.

Only other things Im looking at and have in order are 2 new coolant temp sensors, not sure if this would cause the car to run on one bank though.

Anyone any thoughts?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Removed the cap, found some carbon build up on the points and rotor

SAM_0181_zps06fae686.jpg

SAM_0182_zps0bd4bf28.jpg

SAM_0183_zps909a9fff.jpg

SAM_0178_zpsfd37670e.jpg

SAM_0179_zps9551b2d4.jpg

Then had a look at the HT leads, not great at all, and ive yet to inspect them all, one is seized tight too.

SAM_0185_zps70e8cb24.jpg

SAM_0184_zps3d8f6650.jpg

SAM_0187_zps5e26e61a.jpg

SAM_0188_zpse2b6a805.jpg

There was another thread titled something like 6cyl diablo with some different troubleshooting methods in the past so that may help. If you replace the distributor there is a much cheaper option than OEM just FYI

I did a search Chipster and read through allot of the old posts that had similar issues, seems to be allot of fault finding on this, and many different solutions, like everything it's a canceling out process until something is found.

I noticed the alternative Jag solution to the cap, but also read some mixed review regarding the aluminum terminals, where OEM is brass, also allot of breakage on the cheap rotors, but they are cheap and easy to replace. I'd certinaly buy a jag one and cheap rotors to keep as spares for a stop gap solution, very handy to keep in car too as a backup for one of those days.

The HT leads on my car though, look real bad, and this won't help with anything. Tomorrow Im going to see if the corrosion can be cleaned down at all, think a few of the leads are beyond cleaning though. I did however speak to my local parts store, and on their system it listed leads for the Diablo, at very reasonable money. Not sure how good the quality is but ordered them anyway and will post up the details when I get them.

Failing that, maybe there is someone that can make the leads in better quality than OEM?

Wow with all that corrosion, I'm surprised you are asking. I would rip all those wires out, plus replace the cap and rotor at the very least!

Hi,

Just trying to cover all areas, and good to seek advise too as you guys have had more experience than me with these cars. Plus I didn't notice the leads till after I asked the question, and then decided to remove the cap and noticed how bad they were. Would explain the electric shock I got lol, 2 of the leads are so bad, that I I'm unsure if they will come out of the cap. Really badly seized in there.

Wow definatly replace wires. Try to salvge cap if you can. They are no longer available.

You are correct aluminum terminals. I have scrambled a jag rotor. Jag cap also needs the small holes drilled in side for vent.

They are junk , but they work for a short while.

Wow definatly replace wires. Try to salvge cap if you can. They are no longer available.

You are correct aluminum terminals. I have scrambled a jag rotor. Jag cap also needs the small holes drilled in side for vent.

They are junk , but they work for a short while.

Oh no! Not another part that's no longer available from Lamborghini. Was going to order a new OEM one tomorrow, already have a Jag one on the way to keep as spare.

Ill definitely be trying my best to salvage the cap.

Oh no! Not another part that's no longer available from Lamborghini. Was going to order a new OEM one tomorrow, already have a Jag one on the way to keep as spare.

Ill definitely be trying my best to salvage the cap.

If it's one bank on, one bank off, my bet would be that one of the coils failed though... Other than that, those wires could indeed to with replacing...

Your coils are on the left hand side, just behind the air scoop, under the fender

If it's one bank on, one bank off, my bet would be that one of the coils failed though... Other than that, those wires could indeed to with replacing...

Your coils are on the left hand side, just behind the air scoop, under the fender

Hi,

Thanks for the info. You could be right, but I find it hard to believe the ignition modules [coils] are at fault? Car was running fine until I started work on the water pump/thermostat etc, these are all close to the HT leads and distributor, so I would have touched them a few times which could have been enough to throw the bank off especially with the corrosion on my leads, was a fail that was waiting to happen I think.

But I'll definitely keep the ignition modules in mind, what's the best method to test them? I had a look for corrosion on the leads at the module side, all looks very fresh there.

Ive come accross another issue and now asking for a photo requerst.

The leads the run to 1-6 bank are under the intake manifold, surely this cant be the right placement for them. I will either have to remove the intake manifold or snip the leads and try and pull them free.

Heres how they look on my car

SAM_0193_zps1d94d6bd.jpg

SAM_0194_zps819886a3.jpg

SAM_0198_zps24719210.jpg

If possible, could someone post a pic of how there leads run on that side?

There is a gap just back from close to the red sensor, you can see the gap in the pics above.

I'm not home to look but I'm 99% sure my wires do not tuck under the intake manifold like that. They run right around the side just like the other bank. Might need reminding, but I'll try to snap a picture when I get home if someone else hasn't already.

Holy cow, that's a lot of corrosion! I'm surprised you didn't lose a bank earlier. The next question is since the tip of one of those rotor arms is broken off, where did it go...?

My wires are routed like that, but are not so tight and a bit further away from the other surfaces. That wire-gathering ring looks pretty jammed in there with the metal ring being pushed off.

Look out ! They will try to sell you an aluminum one. Have them send you pictures first.

The cap will have all the correct markings MADE IN ITALY ect. Typical China copy

If it is brass you found the holy grail.

Holy cow, that's a lot of corrosion! I'm surprised you didn't lose a bank earlier. The next question is since the tip of one of those rotor arms is broken off, where did it go...?

My wires are routed like that, but are not so tight and a bit further away from the other surfaces. That wire-gathering ring looks pretty jammed in there with the metal ring being pushed off.

Well spotted! I didn't even notice the tip was broken, Might have fell out when I opened the distributor.

I really don't think the leads should be positioned in there, makes them impossible to remove without taking the intake manifold off, I had to cut each one and pull them out by one, they were really jammed in there good too.

It was me the pushed the wiring ring back, was testing to see how jammed the wires were.

"ejner" Thank you for the pics, that looks much better, very neat too, ill be installing the new leads like that.

Yeah mine is routed like above. Damn that looks clean!

Agree with Chipster, very nice and clean in there.

Thanks to both of you, if you need Photos of anything else, let me know.

Out of curiosity, can you show pics of the leads on the left side please? What year/model is your car too, engine bay is slightly different to mine

Thanks again, looks much better and more simple to route the cables like yours, no idea why anyone would try to route them the way mine were, glad to say I managed to get them all out ok, just waiting now for the new stuff.

Have you a any nice pics of your engine bay? Looks real nice, is your manifold painted all black? If so is that crinkle style paint?

Here's how mine have always been (no idea if this is how it was routed from the factory).

Dsc00214_1.jpg

DSC00221_1.jpg

Viewed from right to left (under the intake hose)

DSC00219_1.JPG

DSC00216_1.JPG

Thanks for your pics, interesting to see the slightly different layout, but still very neat and doesn't look like its jammed anywhere.

From your pics, you car looks like its 1994+ model?